HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

18 hours ago, Atlantic said:

I think this will be a major caveat until the league's reputation and competitive level increases. Some younger guys aren't going to be willing to take the risk of signing a professional contract in the CPL and ruling themselves ineligble for USports or NCAA. 

I have read there may be some financial assistance for players attending a post-secondary institution if they sign these development deals, but have no inside knowledge, so I can’t verify it one way or the other. 
I feel something along the lines of what the OHL does would be smart (if it isn’t being done already). For every year you play in the OHL, players have a year of tuition paid for post-secondary pursuits. IMO that could get more higher-end potential young players signing with the CPL development deals

On 3/12/2023 at 9:50 PM, Footyeh said:

Why not?  What's more valuable to the league/national teams/Canadian talent pool?  Signing the best 16/17 year olds, developing them and getting them 1000+ professional minutes or focusing on older players 21 years old + coming out of the college system?  Which one of those players has a better chance of making it at the highest levels, which one is more valuable to the club's from a financial standpoint?  Yes, you're going to get the few guys in the latter category who do well and move on to the MLS, but the former is where the league is really going to make money on the transfer market and build a reputation and brand in the marketplace.  

Look at Joshua Wynder in the USL Championship, 17 years old and 2700' professional minutes.  Will be sold for $1m-$2m this summer.  Of course that's not going to happen with every player, but at least by 18-19 the players will still be of age to join a top European academy side for a decent fee + strong financial incentives on the back end like future payments based on progress, sell-on fees etc.

just my opinion of course!

Herdman's got the right idea!😉

ssAS.png

23 hours ago, toontownman said:

If you have not seen this, it's a really cracking worthwhile read. Even if Gary is an Arsenal fan.

https://www.fromaways.com/post/halifax-wanderers-2023-squad-preview

I think it's a great read as well. A couple of his Starting XI I disagree with. Biggest point of contention for me is Nimick over Campagna. But we shall see!

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Backup keeper on a USports contract (HFX, Valour and Cavalry) is the latest trend in the CanPL.

In a salary cap environment do you want to give 30k+ to someone who is just going to sit on the bench all season when that extra bit of cash can be used to land a key free agent? Either that or it's viewed as a way to still try to be competitive while spending at the salary floor rather than the cap. 

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

7 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

In a salary cap environment do you want to give 30k+ to someone who is just going to sit on the bench all season when that extra bit of cash can be used to land a key free agent? Either that or it's viewed as a way to still try to be competitive while spending at the salary floor rather than the cap. 

Absolutely agree with you here. If that $30k is added to your outfield roster you’re looking at adding another (relatively) high calibre player. 

The color of The Lion armband could make for a nice alternate jersey.  I like the white a bit better than the grey we had last year but I'm not sure I'll get one.  I'd love for us to make something crazy next year... Lion yellow, some other parts of the Nova Scotia flag... so ugly it's good (if that makes any sense).

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

The color of The Lion armband could make for a nice alternate jersey.  I like the white a bit better than the grey we had last year but I'm not sure I'll get one.  I'd love for us to make something crazy next year... Lion yellow, some other parts of the Nova Scotia flag... so ugly it's good (if that makes any sense).

I actually really like that armband as well. I think that color would be an awesome alternate. Truthfully I kind of hope they start doing 1-per-year for the sake of my wallet!

I think I liked last year's grey more than you. Probably one of my favorite jerseys they've had.

Although I'm disappointed that we have only a Draw and a Loss to show for our first two games against Ottawa, I have to say I am incredibly optimistic about the team Patrice has assembled and the system he is playing. 

We had something like 65% possession in the game last night. We're moving the ball incredibly efficiently. I think that our defense has promise... we just need to figure out the right combo. Certain new players are really standing out. Nimmik and Callegari for me. Aiden also looks more confident and intentional than he did last year.

Our finishing will likely remain our weak spot, which several predicted, but with the chances our playstyle looks like it will create I feel like we can count on more goals. The two we have scored were both pretty awesome. I definitely feel pretty good about these Wanderers.

Still lots to look forward to and hopefully over time we reduce the mistakes.  Mo got exposed last night when we slid to five in the back with three central defenders after going up a goal.  His poor marking was very costly.  Maybe he should have switched to the very center instead of Campagna.  I never feel like I know what I'm talking about but being dynamic at the back is bad look when things get this sloppy.

It feels like we're ripe to get slaughtered at Forge given we've been on the road all week.  Hopefully they bring a concerted effort and keep things close.  A draw would be an excellent result in my opinion... I don't think I'm ready to watch a beat down.

Callegari has looked good, he started whipping some service in the second half with dangerous looping crosses.  It has me wondering if perhaps he's better up where Rampersad is... Ramper plays Callegari's role well enough that we might get more out of the offense if Callegari is closer to goal.

(Calling it like I see it, will do my best to remain positive).

Anyone know why Fumpa hasn’t made the bench yet?  Not sure if he has knock or Gheisar is keeping him out due to a coaching decision.  He would probably fit into Ferrin’s spot but he’s doing great so perhaps that’s why.

Edited by Lurker