HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

• 1 month later...
30 minutes ago, Big_M said:

weird stuff...

Yeah, I don't know what's going on here... former Wanderers, Akeem Garcia and Corey Bent are both with Suburban FC who won the Maritime Super Series (easily) so there's some synergy there... I don't know how it relates, if at all, to any relationship that was going on with the Wanderers and Halifax City/Dunbrack...  at the end of the day I'm just another random on the Internet.  😁

13 hours ago, Lurker said:

Aside:  I'm sure in the next couple of weeks I'll likely to run into someone who can give me the ELI5 on what that twitter post was about.

Sounds to me like someone thought the Wanderers should be in on player development in the region, but then the other clubs realized they didn't have enough to offer and they could do it themselves. Without the supposedly bigger club lording it over them, or something similar.

After all, remind me what Wanderers have done for player development in NS? Does it correspond to their size as a club?

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sounds to me like someone thought the Wanderers should be in on player development in the region, but then the other clubs realized they didn't have enough to offer and they could do it themselves. Without the supposedly bigger club lording it over them, or something similar.

After all, remind me what Wanderers have done for player development in NS? Does it correspond to their size as a club?

Things that pop into my mind:

- U23 Team (Some Nova Soctians on it)

- Team members travelling around to club trainings for a visit, more or less excitement for the young kids.

- Provincial club invited to each game for ball fetching and halftime game.

I’m not sure this stuff qualifies for player development but there’s a presence and excitement around the team and soccer in the province which is great.

On 9/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, Lurker said:

Seems pretty high.  I don't know how they'd handle it... we had a similar situation last year with Fiona and I think it went to a Monday or Tuesday.

Ya.

It will be played on Monday.

https://canpl.ca/article/halifax-wanderers-vs-atletico-ottawa-match-postponed-to-monday-september-18

On 9/12/2023 at 12:27 PM, Lurker said:

I don't know how they'd handle it...

On 9/15/2023 at 3:31 PM, grasshopper1917 said:

Seems odd considering the forecast. Only calls for a few showers. Though likely the field is waterlogged. 

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/36-hour-weather-forecast/nova-scotia/halifax

So, how are things on the ground in Halifax?

Doing all right?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

18 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

So, how are things on the ground in Halifax?

Doing all right?

Yea I think the damage was fairly minimal at the grounds - Derrick Martin posted it held up quite good. The storm was quite bad but luckily it was not quite as strong as Hurricane Fiona last year. 

BTW my original post about the Weather Network calling for 'a few showers' was a sarcastic shot at TWN. Basically every weather organization was projecting a bad storm and they were just listing showers and a stiff breeze lol

• 3 weeks later...

So... regular season is over and I can only assume most of us agree that this season has exceeded expectations. 

Strong showing from an almost entirely new team. A few stars that have absolutely earned looks from higher leagues. A playoff place, and a home game no less. New coach in discussions as a Coach of the Year candidate, with Callegari likely in the picture for Player of the Year as well. Off the field we have a new Stadium proposal and a Women's National Team game coming to Halifax.

Playoffs are still ahead, but how is everyone feeling after the regular season wrapped last night? 

9 hours ago, Copes said:

So... regular season is over and I can only assume most of us agree that this season has exceeded expectations. 

Strong showing from an almost entirely new team. A few stars that have absolutely earned looks from higher leagues. A playoff place, and a home game no less. New coach in discussions as a Coach of the Year candidate, with Callegari likely in the picture for Player of the Year as well. Off the field we have a new Stadium proposal and a Women's National Team game coming to Halifax.

Playoffs are still ahead, but how is everyone feeling after the regular season wrapped last night? 

Feeling great.  Heading into the post season in good form.  Outside of Morelli our main starters are healthy.  The team chemistry seems really strong on and off the field.  The atmosphere at the Wanderers Grounds is hard to beat.  Calegari, Nimick and Ferrin have all been incredible additions, I'm sure at least one (or all) of them will move on after this season... I'm looking forward to following Wanderers players for years to come as they move on to bigger clubs.  Henry & Perruza were big signings... our porta potty days may soon be behind us...

Vince Mcmahon Wwe GIF