HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

On 6/13/2023 at 5:53 PM, Kadenge said:

How has Omar been playing?

I thought he played well last week.  I didn’t see much different at the beginning but he grew into the game and played his best game of the year.  The skill set and physical attributes look to be there, just a matter of keeping that confidence up.

2 hours ago, narduch said:

Talk of a permanent stadium at the end of this.

I came here to post and mention the same thing.  It'll be great if something happens (hopefully at the Wanderers Grounds) for a permanent stadium.  Hopefully they've figure out how to navigate the public funding or perhaps that piece is gone entirely.

The whole situation reminds me a lot of the Sunday shopping situation we were in forever.  Nothing was open on Sunday, people did everything they could to prevent it.  Then Pete's Frootique managed to stay open through some loop hole and then they just let everyone open up.

Hopefully this thing gets built and we can move forward.

Edited by Lurker

There's a Hamilton, Ont connection with Derek Martin. Never saw that one coming. Hope getting very close on a permanent stadium is more accurate than what he had to say around this time last year about new owners for FC Edmonton. Think the big problem they have is the CFL also having plans and public money not being likely to be forthcoming for two stadia.

There should be one stadium for both teams, it makes the most economic sense. I hope it becomes a reality.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There's a Hamilton, Ont connection with Derek Martin. Never saw that one coming. Hope getting very close on a permanent stadium is more accurate than what he had to say around this time last year about new owners for FC Edmonton. Think the big problem they have is the CFL also having plans and public money not being likely to be forthcoming for two stadia.

I this all comes down to the size of the stadium.  Wanderers only need somewhere in the 8-12k range with some room to add more to it later (perhaps another 2-4k).  A CFL team needs what?  At least 20k, perhaps more?  I don't know a whole lot about what the CFL requirements are.  If it's big enough for CFL then I think the location comes into question (ie. Not the Wanderers Grounds).

5 hours ago, Lurker said:

I this all comes down to the size of the stadium.  Wanderers only need somewhere in the 8-12k range with some room to add more to it later (perhaps another 2-4k).  A CFL team needs what?  At least 20k, perhaps more?  I don't know a whole lot about what the CFL requirements are.  If it's big enough for CFL then I think the location comes into question (ie. Not the Wanderers Grounds).

The last time the CFL commish talked about expansion (about a week ago) he said 2 locations are possible right now and Wanderers Grounds was one of them. 

Edited by MtlMario

5 hours ago, jordan said:

Rosters from todays U23 match, San Millan was a dual who played for Haiti youth teams, Rosettani had a stint in Portugal but from Ottawa area

I am going to the July 5 game here in Charlottetown.  Any idea who to keep an eye out for?   

13 hours ago, Copes said:

And now thw countdown to his debut begins. Thinking the home game on July 11 as a sub? Or perhaps that's too early. 

I'm guessing that's probably too early but you never know.  The team is also on a nice run of form so I'm not sure if Gheisar is going to tweak with things too much.  I'm curious to see how he introduces Ramper back into the lineup... there's a short turnaround for the home game against Pacific next Tuesday so perhaps he gets the start in that one.

On 7/5/2023 at 9:55 PM, Lurker said:

I'm guessing that's probably too early but you never know.  The team is also on a nice run of form so I'm not sure if Gheisar is going to tweak with things too much.  I'm curious to see how he introduces Ramper back into the lineup... there's a short turnaround for the home game against Pacific next Tuesday so perhaps he gets the start in that one.

I think you're probably right. I was over optimistic, thinking they may try and get him on as a late game sub. Even that seems unlikely before the end of the month though given his time off. 

1 hour ago, Copes said:

Should have stuck to my guns! Haha. 

Great to see Morelli back on the pitch.

Yup!  Thought he looked a little slow.  I think we brought him on as a bit of a celebration sub and then when we needed to defend and he had to run more to pressure defenders I thought he looked gassed.  I might be reading into it too much though.  Glad to see him out there again.