HFX Wanderers - 2023 Season Thread

7 hours ago, toontownman said:

Another for the midfield but will fill u21 minutes.

Can someone remind me on the U21 rules. I understand the minutes. But how much do they get paid,  and are the still eligible to play for their college/university for the upcoming year?

38 minutes ago, ATM said:

Can someone remind me on the U21 rules. I understand the minutes. But how much do they get paid,  and are the still eligible to play for their college/university for the upcoming year?

Actually often two different things.  A U21 player signed to a full pro contract, minimum $30,000.00 a year, cannot play university soccer.  A U21 player signed to a U-Sports contract gets: (All compensation to the player is provided in the form of tuition support through an Academic Financial Award from their registering university) about $12,000.00 for the summer, to August 15th.  

1 hour ago, Copes said:

So with this most recent signing our roster really only has room for a back-up keeper, right? We're at 22/23? 

What are we thinking?

Looks like it is.  So that means Kareem Sow will not be back even though HFX retained his draft rights.    Draft picks Stolar and Rushenas (keeper) both attended the recent HFX U23 camp.

49 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

HFX seems to like dropping hints in these tweets. A second GK is needed... I wonder if this could be Jonathan Viscosi. (although he started for VPS in Finland last week)

If it's a keeper, maybe Andreas V???, the former Edmonton goalkeeper, or a loan of Tomas Hasal from VWFC?

1 hour ago, Big_M said:

thats 23 including only one keeper...guess they wait and see if someone gets a long term injury or they move a player

At the risk of sounding stupid, who are the other 2 players? The Northern Tribune roster tracker only has 21 players (including Kosi) and 5 players with "no public contract updates" (2 of which are the draft picks).

14 minutes ago, EnigMattic1 said:

At the risk of sounding stupid, who are the other 2 players? The Northern Tribune roster tracker only has 21 players (including Kosi) and 5 players with "no public contract updates" (2 of which are the draft picks).

Ryan James and Daniel Nimick are missing from the NT list.