Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

15 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Could someone re-direct me to a link (either posted earlier here or elsewhere) which says how many and which Whitecaps' games are on TSN this season? Ditto Montreal and TFC?

The Dallas game next weekend is blacked out to non-Apple subscribers.

@Shway I tried that circumventing link you used for last night's TFC-Atlanta game but all I got was a malware threat.

https://www.whitecapsfc.com/news/tsn-2023-schedule

37 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Are you referencing the Caps or the Apple usury service or both?

The Caps. I feel like I've been watching the same match for 4 years (although definitely some nice play in these first two). Apple TV is not for me. I literally pay for every other major streamer but have always seen this as a bridge too far. 

The team cannot defend, especially in the air. It seems that San Jose could attack from the wings at will and that Vancouver's central defenders could not win a header - ever. So many chances from the air eventually led to a tying goal from the air. Only bad luck and our keeper prevented more SJ goals from headers.

On another note, Cordoba (DP?) looked slow and awkward. Hopefully that is just rust.

Very discouraging. A couple more collapse like the first two matches of this season will see me tune out quickly. Thankfully, Vancouver FC is closer to home and provides a fresh alternative.

So we're doing this again?  A bad team starts terribly, then lumbers to a reasonable second half of the season that is just enough for optimism even though they finish firmly in the bottom half. 

MLS is uninteresting because of the playoffs and the acceptance of mediocrity.  The whitecaps personify this. The lack of ambition is palpable, and it has been this.way for years.

5 minutes ago, RJB said:

So we're doing this again?  A bad team starts terribly, then lumbers to a reasonable second half of the season that is just enough for optimism even though they finish firmly in the bottom half. 

MLS is uninteresting because of the playoffs and the acceptance of mediocrity.  The whitecaps personify this. The lack of ambition is palpable, and it has been this.way for years.

Now with extra playoff spots so they can hold hope even longer

5 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

The Caps. I feel like I've been watching the same match for 4 years (although definitely some nice play in these first two). Apple TV is not for me. I literally pay for every other major streamer but have always seen this as a bridge too far. 

One thing:  Apple TV does give you access to all MLS games.  So if the Whitecaps bomb out again this season, there are other games to watch.  MLS games can be quite entertaining.  If you watch the right teams.

One thing I'm not crazy about is this lumping all/most games on Saturday.  I realize they're trying to bring some order to the MLS schedule.  But there are 14 games each week.  And while I enjoy watching soccer, one game a day is enough for me.  So I'd like to see, say, 1 game scheduled on Friday, 10 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday and 1 game on Monday.  Just in case I'm in the mood to watch a soccer game on Friday, Sunday or Monday.

22 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

One thing I'm not crazy about is this lumping all/most games on Saturday.  I realize they're trying to bring some order to the MLS schedule.  But there are 14 games each week.  And while I enjoy watching soccer, one game a day is enough for me.  So I'd like to see, say, 1 game scheduled on Friday, 10 games on Saturday, 2 games on Sunday and 1 game on Monday.  Just in case I'm in the mood to watch a soccer game on Friday, Sunday or Monday.

Totally agree. I find myself flipping between games often, which isn't ideal.

5 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

One thing:  Apple TV does give you access to all MLS games.  So if the Whitecaps bomb out again this season, there are other games to watch.  MLS games can be quite entertaining.  If you watch the right teams.

Absolutely agree, especially with so many Canadians on non-Canadian teams makes more games interesting and as you say if you watch the right teams, I like watching LAFC and more so when Crepeau returns.  also when CPL returns, I will be watching or attending games.

7 hours ago, RJB said:

Well, if you are unable to attend the FC Dallas match in person at BC Place or you don't have the Apple subscription, you'll be like me and not watching the match.  That might be a good thing, however.

12 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Sartini is a pathetic coach. Fire this guy already and move on

Had zero resume and has accomplished nothing

I'm sick of his stupid t-shirts anyways. The guy always looks like he just came from a New Order concert in 1987

I like Vanni.

But if the Caps lose to Dallas on Saturday, I think he could be in trouble.

On 3/8/2023 at 1:25 AM, SpursFlu said:

I'm sick of his stupid t-shirts anyways. The guy always looks like he just came from a New Order concert in 1987

2 hours ago, sandman said:

Vanni is currently the lowest paid Head Coach in the league by quite some margin. I'd imagine breaking the bank for a quality manager is unlikely. 

I now get it.  Maybe those t-shirts are all he can afford