Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

The 2023 roster build has started, 22 in and the others: 

Options declined: Janio Bikel (MID) David Egbo (FWD) Evan Newton (GK)

Out of contract: Michael Baldisimo (MID)

Option decisions to be determined: Lucas Cavallini (FWD) Derek Cornelius (DEF) Cody Cropper (GK) Marcus Godinho (DEF) Jake Nerwinski (DEF) Leonard Owusu (MID) Tosaint Ricketts (FWD)

Out of contract, but in talks about a potential return: Florian Jungwirth (DEF)

Does Baldisimo stay local and head to CPL Vancouver? 

It will be interesting to see what happens with Godinho - injury-ongoing issues - I cannot see him being a starter future.

Derek Cornelius - does he have any interest in returning? Whitecaps needs a solid CB (maybe two).

1 hour ago, wallflower said:

It will be interesting to see what happens with Godinho - injury-ongoing issues - I cannot see him being a starter future.

Derek Cornelius - does he have any interest in returning? Whitecaps needs a solid CB (maybe two).

Baldi:  yes, CPL bound

Godinho:  re-signed on a reasonable (aka cheap) deal as a fullback/wingback swingman.

Cornelius:  ship has sailed, he won't be back under the T-Shirt Guy's leadership.

On 10/20/2022 at 2:22 PM, wallflower said:

Baldisimo makes about $110 k US right now.  I suspect he'd look for other options before heading to the CPL where he'd likely make maybe $40 k CDN.

If the Whitecaps dropped Cornelius, I'd be happy to see him land in Toronto.

On 10/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, Kingston said:

Baldisimo makes about $110 k US right now.  I suspect he'd look for other options before heading to the CPL where he'd likely make maybe $40 k CDN.

He can look, but it's highly unlikely he'll get that elsewhere.  I suppose he could go the Metcalfe route but he lacks the athleticism/physicality and durability to warrant a higher packet at this time.

I think he has to do what every other Jill or Joe has to do in the real world:  start at the entry level and prove your worth.  It has worked for Waterman.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 10/27/2022 at 1:29 PM, Kingston said:

Cornelius would be FAR happier in GTA than GVA for sure. And, yes, TFC in dire need of full back line up so that is where we will see him!

On 10/27/2022 at 11:29 AM, Kingston said:

If the Whitecaps dropped him, I think he'd be happy to stay at his current Greek club. I don't see MLS being a factor for him right now.

1) Caicedo if he recovers properly from injury.

2) The chance to, yet again, bring in some new players. The focus should include some good young guys. I like the Ralph Priso idea a lot. Are there other young guys who could compete for a spot on the team?

3) Will WWFC 2 begin to provide players to the senior squad?

4) The start of competition for fans with Vancouver FC should, of necessity, get VWFC to become better so the new kid in town does not "steal" too many fans (although I want both clubs to succeed at the agte).

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

His contract extension is too rich.

I would be very surprised if anyone was selected.

Oh I don't think anyone gets taken. I'm just saying if someone did, I could see Dajome being the player. Maybe one of the American players. But I think the most likely scenario is no one.