Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

On 2/25/2023 at 12:53 PM, Bison44 said:

I'm not getting the anger at VWC.  Hasal, Ahmed, Rapaso, Tiebert, Yao should all be in the mix for lots of minutes this year.  Last year they had 2-3 CDN starters most games??  Sure there is turn over, Cavs is gone, but I am still excited to see what the CDN content will do.  

At what point do these guys get in the mix for lots of minutes? At 144 total minutes over the first 3 games. Not super excited for the CDN content.

47 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

At what point do these guys get in the mix for lots of minutes? At 144 total minutes over the first 3 games. Not super excited for the CDN content.

Will be interesting to see what happens on the March 25 match.

MLS isn't breaking for the International window.

Although not too sure Whitecaps have many players that will get called up and open up a spot

4 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

NEVER...HAHAHAHA NEVVVERRRRR..argghhhh I am losing my shit, its been 3 games!!!!!  Light the torches, get out the pitchforks!!!  Seriously, its a long season, hopefully lots of CCL games and CDN champ games to play.  The TSN talking heads keep saying how none of the CDN teams have any depth..so i guess that means they'll have to play Teibert, Ahmed, Rapaso etc at some point, plus bring up some studs from WC2.    

14 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

NEVER...HAHAHAHA NEVVVERRRRR..argghhhh I am losing my shit, its been 3 games!!!!!  Light the torches, get out the pitchforks!!!  Seriously, its a long season, hopefully lots of CCL games and CDN champ games to play.  The TSN talking heads keep saying how none of the CDN teams have any depth..so i guess that means they'll have to play Teibert, Ahmed, Rapaso etc at some point, plus bring up some studs from WC2.    

Raposo already looks like he's taken Martins spot, and Ahmed has looked good coming off the bench in limited minutes.

Another game, another goal.  And, fortunately, a point.

Not a bad game to watch but, once again, the Whitecaps had a chance to take all three points but couldn't score when the opportunities arose.

I also think that, if I was a Galaxy fan, I'd be pretty mad about that second disallowed goal.

Interesting bit of information from MLS writer Sam Jones about Minnesota and their players that have been called up for international play:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/your-thursday-kickoff-missing-key-pieces-across-mls-a-looming-depth-chart-test

The Loons will be without starting midfielder Kervin Arriaga, starting center back Michael Boxall, starting winger Bongokuhle Hlongwane, starting full back Kemar Lawrence, starting midfielder Robin Lod, starting goalkeeper Dayne St. Clair and midfielder Joseph Rosales, who made his first start last weekend. Uh…uh oh.

Yep, that’s seven starters from last week’s win over Colorado. If Minnesota United are going to go against Vancouver this weekend and keep up what’s been an impressive start without Bebelo Reynoso dictating things in the middle of the pitch, well, they’re going to need to pull off something kind of special. Especially against a Vancouver team that needs a win and will only be missing two starters to international duty instead of, ya know, half their senior roster. Godspeed, Loons.

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Wow, wonder what that strategy is.

Dean Hoyle was a longtime minority shareholder who seems to have run things, perhaps he had the biggest stake. Apparently he stepped back a few months ago for health reasons.

I don't get the issue the club has had with financial stress, it seems they were on a deadline and needed a quick fix. They owed a major sum to the Championship, which he will write off to facilitate the sale.

The fact the releases insist on North American not "American" lends credence to the @GlassCity post.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Wow, wonder what that strategy is.

Dean Hoyle was a longtime minority shareholder who seems to have run things, perhaps he had the biggest stake. Apparently he stepped back a few months ago for health reasons.

I don't get the issue the club has had with financial stress, it seems they were on a deadline and needed a quick fix. They owed a major sum to the Championship, which he will write off to facilitate the sale.

The fact the releases insist on North American not "American" lends credence to the @GlassCity post.

They were relegated from the EPL in 2019.

And are a good candidate to relegate to League 1 this season.

The English 2nd tier and below are brutal with 24 teams in each level. A team like this could languish in the lower leagues for years.

So I agree I sort of don't get the play here.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

They were relegated from the EPL in 2019.

And are a good candidate to relegate to League 1 this season.

The English 2nd tier and below are brutal with 24 teams in each level. A team like this could languish in the lower leagues for years.

So I agree I sort of don't get the play here.

Have a history, league wins, but not a great upside, stadium, location.

But all I care about is the Whitecaps' strategy, it's not like they have any sort of proven track record.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Becher (plus extra injury time) saved them last night. But Vanni still needs to go.

Within the roster so far this season, who is off to a good start and who is struggling? I have seen only highlights. Five matches and zero wins is, once again, discouraging.

19 minutes ago, Stoppage Time said:

Within the roster so far this season, who is off to a good start and who is struggling? I have seen only highlights. Five matches and zero wins is, once again, discouraging.

Sticking mostly with a discussion of the core: Cubas has been their best player, Gressel has been good, Gauld has been good but hasn't finished, Schopf has been fine.  White's finishing has been poor (though I don't mind some of the rest of his game), Cordova has just been poor, and I have no idea how Dajome scored 3 in preseason because now his shots are hitting row Z.  The defense has been great in the opposition's box and terrible defending in their own.  Takaoka has made some great saves to keep them in games but also spilled the ball a few times to cost them points.  Vanni has been poor: poor starting lineup decisions, slow to make changes in-game.