Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

A good move. It's just not working out and Caicedo is basically back.

A couple of seasons ago I thought he looked like a real promising player.  Then last season and now this season, he just seemed to flatten out.

Best of luck to him in DC.

1 hour ago, Goal_Kick said:

A couple of seasons ago I thought he looked like a real promising player.  Then last season and now this season, he just seemed to flatten out.

Best of luck to him in DC.

Last season I thought it was mostly because of how Vanni used him: as a right-wing back, a position he had never played and never looked comfortable in.   But he's been returned to a better role this year and still nothing.  So yeah, it's not an ideal sale, but it's the best for everyone I think.

Guiterrez and now Dajome:  the only way they can move guys is by eating a lot of salary.  Maybe they should have put more thought into deciding on longer term, richer extensions for these guys, as well as White and Martins.  

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Whitecaps really want to be TFC

Seems like they are in anti-moneyball territory with these types of contracts.

21 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Guiterrez and now Dajome:  the only way they can move guys is by eating a lot of salary.  Maybe they should have put more thought into deciding on longer term, richer extensions for these guys, as well as White and Martins.  

Seems like they are in anti-moneyball territory with these types of contracts.

Wonder who's idea the extensions were: Schuster's or the departed Overheul's.

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Wonder who's idea the extensions were: Schuster's or the departed Overheul's.

Guys play well, they earn new deals.  That's how it usually works.  But I am often reminded of former NFLer Randy Cross talking about Bill Walsh and 49er management's credo about new contracts:  they weren't interested in paying you for what you did but for what you're going to do in the future.  That's where the analytics is supposed to come in, isn't it?  Is what this guy did something he can consistently repeat or is it just an outlier?

Takaoka has made some blunders early on. But it's also clear he's a stronger keeper than Hasal right now. 

Now they need to figure out the offense, because it's not clicking at all right now. Some of that is probably the players, but some is on Vanni. Bizarre player decisions at times.

On 5/2/2023 at 8:56 AM, Watchmen said:

Now they need to figure out the offense, because it's not clicking at all right now. Some of that is probably the players, but some is on Vanni. Bizarre player decisions at times.

Gauld is off song at the moment but whoever is playing beside him in the Christmas tree (Dajome, White, and now Vite) hasn't conributed their own chances on goal from that spot, either.  xG expectation is at times a questionable metric when the best open play chances fall to defenders like Brown:  it's like a last chance basketball set play where the money shot falls to the bench swingman and not Lebron.  And it also seemed like he was having to provide the key pass service too often from the flank, with predictable results.

Having said this, the Caps will probably get their gunsights right and pop three or four goals against Minny, but should the same-old-same-old occur with similar personnel in the same positions, then a bigger re-think needs to happen.

There's an interview with Yohei Takaoka over at the MLS website:

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/vancouver-whitecaps-yohei-takaoka-seeks-world-cup-path-through-mls-success?utm_source=TWIM&utm_medium=Email&utm_content=TwimHero&utm_campaign=MLSTWIM20230504_LogoUpdate_Static_Schedule_Dynamic

The next men’s World Cup takes place in 2026 and when it does, Canada, Mexico and the United States play host.

Yohei Takaoka – Vancouver Whitecaps FC's offseason signing from J1 League champions Yokohama F. Marinos who's emerged as one of the top goalkeepers in Major League Soccer this year – hopes to represent Japan in that World Cup. And that dream is part of the journey that brought him to MLS.

Speaking to MLSsoccer.com over Zoom, Takaoka opened up on soccer in Japan, the decision to pursue his World Cup dream in North America, and the exciting challenge of trading clubs, cities, and cultures with his recent move.

(One thing that popped out for me from the article is that Vanni Sartini speaks Japanese!)

Pretty positive article on the Whitecaps, listing them as one of the most improved teams over last year.  

https://theathletic.com/4488732/2023/05/04/vancouver-whitecaps-columbus-crew-houston-dynamo/

A sample:

"Don’t let the table fool you, though. The 2023 version of the Whitecaps is better than any we’ve seen in nearly a decade — including the Vancouver team that went on a red-hot run under then-interim manager Vanni Sartini to make the playoffs at the end of the 2021 season. Sartini, who is now in his second year as the club’s permanent manager, is coaching a sleeping giant. Despite the club’s unassuming place in the table, they have the third-best expected goal differential per 90 minutes (+0.62) in all of MLS, according to FBref, which puts them behind only two teams: LAFC and the Seattle Sounders.

A huge part of Vancouver’s promising play has been its sharp attack, even if it hasn’t quite translated to high-level results just yet. They move the ball quickly, have a clear structure and deliberate final-third patterns that have led to clear chances."

Yeah, the point out the same problem we've all seen: they're generating chances but not scoring.  I think they're rating Cordova higher than we are, but we'll see how it goes.  Still, it confirms what I think I've been watching: a more interesting (albeit still flawed) team from the previous few years.

Last weekend, a beautiful, hot sunny day perhaps undermined evening attendance vs an unfashionable opponent.  Today, does a soggy day against a similar meh opponent do the same?  Like last week, the game's only available on Apple.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

Last weekend, a beautiful, hot sunny day perhaps undermined evening attendance vs an unfashionable opponent.  Today, does a soggy day against a similar meh opponent do the same?  Like last week, the game's only available on Apple.

We keep making excuses, but the community isn't excited about this club anymore and the fault mostly lies at the feet of VWFC. 

I'm surrounded by soccer players, fanatics, and coaches, young and old, seven days a week. Hardly a person I know can name a single Whitecaps player.

Thinking back to the launch that first season at Empire, it almost makes me sad thinking of how much potential has been wasted, in almost every component of the organization, from front office, to facilities, to youth development, etc.

29 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

It does look like VFC is having some impact on attendance. BC Place might be an ok World Cup venue if full, with grass, but it doesn't really work for MLS. 

BC Place is great it's just in a bad location. Ever since the supporters ran Lenarduzzi out there has been a bad energy around the team. 

#LenarduzziCurse

Edited by SpursFlu