Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, Stoppage Time said:

Within the roster so far this season, who is off to a good start and who is struggling? I have seen only highlights. Five matches and zero wins is, once again, discouraging.

Well, if you take goal scoring out of the equation, I think the team, overall, has been playing quite well.

But since goal scoring seems to be a part of the game, I think a (very) critical eye has to be turned on our forwards - White and Cordova.

It's inexplicable to me how well White finished when he first came to the Caps compared to what he's done (or not done) last season and so far this season.

As for Cordova, he's only had a small sample size so it's really hard to judge.  Which is good because, thus far, he hasn't done much.  I certainly hope that what we've seen so far isn't what we can expect for the next few seasons!

3 hours ago, Goal_Kick said:

It's inexplicable to me how well White finished when he first came to the Caps compared to what he's done (or not done) last season and so far this season.

White has 2 goals in 2 games in the CCL so far, and while it was against a Honduran side (and a tired one in the first leg) his goal in the 2nd game was very nice.  He had 3 goals in the semi-final and final of the Voyageurs Cup last year, critical goals and critical times.  But man, he can't seem to buy one in MLS this year and struggled last year as well.

4 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

I guess it is clear once again that the Whitecaps hate Canada.  Looks like they are gearing up for another loss to a CPL team on the Canadian championship.  

At least Ahmed's starting

11 hours ago, Stryker911 said:

Vancouver playing Canadians. Haha, you're crazy.

If you're looking for "volume", then no they're not doing that.  If you're looking for quality, they've been playing Ahmed more and Raposo has started quite a bit (though I'm personally not a big Raposo fan).  I'm fine with them starting fewer Canadians if it means were not playing the likes of Teibert just to meet some artificial Canadian quota.

Don't want to overstate anything, but we're not playing badly. I don't think we have any serious positional gaps, or clear mediocrity here or there. We have scoring options. We have cover off the bench for all positions. We're a bit tougher away from home. We went ahead a few games we lost control of, and our only clear problem is not managing games into the middle of the second half.

I think we may be a slight favourite to repeat in the Voyageurs Cup, and being out of CONCACAF may not hurt us. 

Weird to be optimistic, maybe I'm an idiot.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't want to overstate anything, but we're not playing badly. I don't think we have any serious positional gaps, or clear mediocrity here or there. We have scoring options. We have cover off the bench for all positions. We're a bit tougher away from home. We went ahead a few games we lost control of, and our only clear problem is not managing games into the middle of the second half.

I think we may be a slight favourite to repeat in the Voyageurs Cup, and being out of CONCACAF may not hurt us. 

Weird to be optimistic, maybe I'm an idiot.

They're ahead of where they were last year at this time. There's at least some short term coverage at most positions if there's an injury.  They struggle to score and their set-piece defending is atrocious (but "we're the best zonal marking team in the world", per Vanni).  They're giving some younger players a shot in good opportunities, something Robinson consistently failed to do.   Honestly, I still think Vanni is holding them back.  But it's also the best team they've had a in a while.

8 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

We have scoring options.

Oh?  Do tell.

Actually, I have high hopes for Becher.  Maybe too high based on a very small sample.  As for Cordova, I don't think he's showed much so far but, again, it's a small sample.  As for White, the scoring touch he displayed when he came here in the latter part of 2021 seems to have disappeared. 

If they can discover some consistent scoring they could be a promising team this season.         

19 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

They've lost only 2 of 8 games, and in both of those, they were the better team for most of the matches and held leads in the second half. If they hadn't have shat themselves in those two matches, they'd be looking like one of the better teams in the West right now.

It's the RSL game that hurts a bit more. Had the lead in the 2nd half against a team that then lost 4 straight. Crowd was fired up and enjoying the game, but walked away with a "same old Whitecaps" attitude.