Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

14 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Interesting. Vanni envisions Gressel playing as an 8 this year. That telegates Teibert to the bench. I can live with that.

Well he did excel playing that position in Atlanta so why wasn’t he playing that position with Vancouver?

23 minutes ago, VinceA said:

When the hell did Gressel play as an 8 at Atlanta? He was a wingback wasn't he?

Any time I saw him during his Atlanta stint it was RWB with Parkhurst at the centre of three in the back.  His service from there really helped Martinez take off.

3 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Not an unusual move once you've lost a step.

Pace has never been his game and when they used him in a more central mid role at the end of last season, his forward passing wasn't good.  His stock in trade is bending in early dangerous crosses behind defenders and into the path of a forward. 

This is another move that might get jettisoned at midseason, like the Dajome-at-wingback experiment.  If doesn't work out, they might be able to unload to Inter Miami to re-unite with his former Atlanta teammate Josef Martinez.

Edited by BearcatSA

On 1/18/2023 at 8:58 AM, Watchmen said:

If my other choice for Canadian starter is Teibert, I'm fine with just the 1.

Come "Decision Day 2023," where the Caps will yet again be in a lose-and-your-out match but this time under interim head coach Ricardo Clark, Teibert will be starting and wearing the captain's armband.  

And if I can find out how to make this particular wager on BetMGM, I'm putting down $20 and I will be fully expecting to collect. 😉

I'm going to tell a story that says a lot about the Whitecaps and perhaps the MLS. I randomly had a conversation with a guy from Peru today. He'd lived here for nearly 2 years. We started talking football and the guy clearly knew his stuff. He said he'd been playing in pickup games around town and wanted to play in a league etc. At the end he said he wished Vancouver had a football team. I said they do the Whitecaps , they play in the MLS. He had no idea Canadian teams were in the MLS and that the Caps existed. What's worse is the guy told me where he lived and he has lived in East Van about 4 stations from BC Place. I told him could likely see the stadium from his window. Anyways the Caps need to cut the bullshit and started marketing and figuring out a way to connect with people I he community who like the sport. Thyre way off the radar at the moment.

16 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Yeah, that really sounds more like it's that guy and not the Whitecaps. 

I think AFTN touched on it briefly on their last podcast. There is very little if any coverage or interest of the Caps at the moment. You've got them and who? Glasscity? Caps seem to put stock in the breakfast television crowd.  So what? My elderly mom knows there is a weather Canada warning somewhere and the Caps have a funny Italian coach?  I haven't renewed my tickets yet and at the moment only plan on going to the Champions league. I'm not sure what it's like in the other Canadian markets but I have a hard time finding any serious football talk when it comes to the Whitecaps. I also find their signings boring. Sorry I'm not excited about Austrian Bundesliga players. To me there is a Gap there. MLS football seems almost recreational, almost non consequential. That's probably why the only real excitement around town last year was VCup finals. 

I'm not sure how others in the area feel but the Caps feel very irrelevant at the moment 

Edited by SpursFlu

On 1/21/2023 at 11:40 AM, Stoppage Time said:

I just watched the VWFC/Hamburger SV highlights. Oh my, did our defence look weak especially in the air. There were many highlights of opposition players getting free looks for headers. A cross bar and some good saves by Hasal kept the score respectable. Yikes!

I don't get worked up about performances this very early, good or bad, but I see that Krutzen didn't do enough to get a second game.