Vancouver Whitecaps - 2023 Season Thread

MM3/MM2/MM

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Nothing wrong with having someone to really push him to be better and more consistent. 

I agree, except that if you are going to invest an international spot and resources/terms on such a keeper, he's your number 1 so he would log a very large majority of the starts, health permitting.  It's all about giving the team the best chance to win now and I am on board with that.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I agree, except that if you are going to invest an international spot and resources/terms on such a keeper, he's your number 1 so he would log a very large majority of the starts, health permitting.  It's all about giving the team the best chance to win now and I am on board with that.

Between this rumour and the one the other day about the Russian 'keeper from Bodo Glimt, it's quite clear that they're looking to bring in some help for Hasal.

42 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Between this rumour and the one the other day about the Russian 'keeper from Bodo Glimt, it's quite clear that they're looking to bring in some help for Hasal.

I think it's a number 1, not a help/1A/1B situation, if you are going the experienced international player route. It's different from getting a journeyman CanAm domestic in that role.  

Sometimes simply having those rumours float around send a message to the player, too.  Does he rise to the challenge or does it backfire?  Who knows?

Chose the best guy and then run with him.

Is there a less ambitious club? VWFC isn't even a community club, or an organization you want to cheer for. We have one of the richest ownership groups in the MLS, and we are easily in the debate for the worst roster in the league, and worst Head Office. I guess we get to cheer for Hasal(who they seem to be replacing), Raposo, and a couple of canadian squad players. 

5 hours ago, sandman said:

Is there a less ambitious club?

Yes. San Jose immediately springs to mind. Houston too.

We have one of the richest ownership groups in the MLS.

I'm not sure that's true. I'm not saying their poor, but MLS ownership wealth has been growing significantly the last decade. 

we are easily in the debate for the worst roster in the league, and worst Head Office.

I disagree with both. I think they are held back by their coaching though, as I don't rate Vanni. The current head office also inherited an absolute mess of a franchise and I'll give them a break on needing time to sort it out, especially since part of that time was during a pandemic.

I guess we get to cheer for Hasal(who they seem to be replacing), Raposo, and a couple of canadian squad players. 

I enjoy Gauld quite a bit and the defensive coverage of Cubas. I'm interested to watch the progression of Vite and hopefully Caicedo, as well as the young Canadians. I think Raposo is being overrated.

Gauld and Cubas are excellent, both being foundational players for any club in this league.

Like @Watchmen said, there is a question mark about the coaching.  After listening to him now for a year and a half, I think his match day t-shirt should say "I like to talk out of my *ss a lot!"  They need a good start out of the gate this year.

Edited by BearcatSA

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Funny how no one, not one poster, has mentioned the Whitecaps have had a very strong pre-season and look ready to compete.

The last two years we had very bad starts, iirc. Playing away. Then got on runs. If we don't get too far behind, and can compete away from home, it could be a strong season.

Much was made of the Larboda signing but my guess is that their first choice back four will be Martins-Blackmon-Ranko-Brown (who last season started off looking really unfit but seems to be far better this sesson), so I think the continuity will help.  Starting the full year with the Paraguayan Piranha (Cubas) chomping up attacks in front of them will help immensely.