The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute

Shway

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

They are so cringe. Take the optics L (and the financial W.)

I'm not watching, but I won't judge them too harshly.  They have fought on the pitch and off it for their successes, and it is not easy.  Now they have a moment, or a series of them, to shine the spotlight on their situation as they see it, and we should not blame them for trying every angle out...everyone does when faced with this sort of stuff, especially in today's polarized world.

2 hours ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

FACT: Each team gets $3.8m in WC pooled prize money. Do the math. $3.8m divided by 26. Each rostered player whether they play in the WC or not will receive at least:

$146,154 per player

This number will rise significantly with each round the WNT advances in Australia this summer.

This isn't factually accurate. First of all, the proposal is that 3.6 million of the men's prize money will be pooled. Second, the statement says that up to 75 % of the women's prize money will be pooled. If they win the world cup, the max amount of money that can be pooled from their side is 3 million. Now, I say max because the CS statement doesn't actually mention how the money will be distributed for each possible outcome at the WWC. That 3.8 million per team figure that the CS listed was an example of how pool money distribution works. Neither of the teams will actually receive that much money as a result of their respective World Cup performances.

11 minutes ago, N1ckbr0wn said:

Does my memory serve me correctly, or am i wrong? I watched alot of CanWNT on TV (Sportsnet to be exact) growing up?

Certainly the occasional game, but it completely ignores that there’s been a massive movement towards streaming services for sports. From what I remember we’ve never had anywhere near the access to our national teams as we have now 

Just now, Bison44 said:

I sure do, they would have been back when the CSA paid the networks to put the national teams on TV.  Remember when that was a thing, ummm like before CSB, Media pro and onesoccer??  

Agreed, if anything the women have had greater TV exposure than the men just by virtue of playing in more bigger tournaments like the Olympics.  Not taking anything away from them as they earned every minute of that exposure.  I just find the TV comment odd given the TV landscape of Canada Soccer over the past decade.  

22 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

Does anyone know what stupidity Amy Walsh tweeted, then deleted after being called out?

She had quoted Albright when she said that there's a special place in hell for women who don't help other women.

16 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Certainly the occasional game, but it completely ignores that there’s been a massive movement towards streaming services for sports. From what I remember we’ve never had anywhere near the access to our national teams as we have now 

Still remember when TSN dropped the broadcast for the CMNT for the last 98WCQ match.

32 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I'm not watching, but I won't judge them too harshly.  They have fought on the pitch and off it for their successes, and it is not easy.  Now they have a moment, or a series of them, to shine the spotlight on their situation as they see it, and we should not blame them for trying every angle out...everyone does when faced with this sort of stuff, especially in today's polarized world.

Strange watching people actively cheering against the members of the Canadian NT’s. 

29 minutes ago, eramosat said:

I mean I agree with the first part but not really the second. I don’t think everyone lies and claws to get what they want. 

Lotta people here supported when no one cared. it seems like all parties are trying to dupe and manipulate supporters as much as possible. I think it’s incumbent upon people to call out horse shit. 

But granted, I’m extra mad today. The new Wanderers CPL shirts are $130 plus tax this year. 

Just now, Ottawafan said:

Strange watching people actively cheering against the members of the Canadian NT’s. 

both MNT and WNT brought it upon themselves.  they took something public, and played hard to win.  CSA certainly has their part in it too...I would give equal shares to all 3.  yes, it's strange, and sad.  

3 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I don't think people are cheering against them.  They are getting what they wanted, money, respect, whatever you want to call it.  Good for them. Now bringing up points of minutia, not all factually correct, while former NT members act in the pot/kettle scenario. 

19 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Sinclair brings up that the CSA is subsidizing CPL, but seems to be ignoring the fact that the CSA subsidized the NWSL from 2013 until 2021. I get that they're frustrated that efforts to start a women's professional league have been slow, but that's a pretty big detail to omit, no?

I forgot about that crucial bit of information - very relevant information indeed. They just been asked why Canada doesn't have a women's league - no one will mention what you just point out

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, Califax said:

I mean I agree with the first part but not really the second. I don’t think everyone lies and claws to get what they want. 

Lotta people here supported when no one cared. it seems like all parties are trying to dupe and manipulate supporters as much as possible. I think it’s incumbent upon people to call out horse shit. 

But granted, I’m extra mad today. The new Wanderers CPL shirts are $130 plus tax this year. 

lies and claws? i bet if that was stated to any of MNT, WNT or CSA peoples, it would be met with replies of "we never lied, and we only fought for what was right for us".  for example, don't take what you read on Twitter as any rational part of any dialog...because it's not dialog, it's pontificating, and mostly pointless.

let the healing begin.  lotta people here can help with that.

3 minutes ago, eramosat said:

lies and claws? i bet if that was stated to any of MNT, WNT or CSA peoples, it would be met with replies of "we never lied, and we only fought for what was right for us".  for example, don't take what you read on Twitter as any rational part of any dialog...because it's not dialog, it's pontificating, and mostly pointless.

let the healing begin.  lotta people here can help with that.

I think that everyone on the CWNT side of this argument over the past few months have absolutely lied, at least by omission, and egregiously misrepresented the reality in order to get themselves a bigger piece of the financial pie. It's continuing in these hearings today.

19 minutes ago, SthMelbRed said:

I think that everyone on the CWNT side of this argument over the past few months have absolutely lied, at least by omission, and egregiously misrepresented the reality in order to get themselves a bigger piece of the financial pie. It's continuing in these hearings today.

And I think the CMNT inflamed the situation by actually striking, and forcing a series of canceled WC prep matches, mostly in the hopes of just earning a bigger paycheck from their once-in-a-lifetime-Canuck-soccer-prize.  Without any mention of their CWNT colleagues, or their CSA helpers.

And (edit ITHINK) the CSA held back information at every turn, and seemed to use stonewalling as one of their partner negotiating tactics.

So, you should be able to see, there are shades of lying, and misrepresenting, going on all over the place in this sad situation.  Don't be too quick to black&white the blame at any single person or entity.  Have you not watched The Wire?  No one is evil...it's just a game.

Edited by eramosat

31 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I find it equally strange that people are actively undermining our domestic men’s league and our national footy broadcaster just so that they can accept at face value every single claim being made by the players.