York United - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

6 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Agree with the first part (unless they shift the team at least two hours drive away from BMO Field and completely change the branding), but the second part seems a tad optimstic based on what we have seen up to now. My money is on neither will draw a big crowd. Having TFC pushing things like youth soccer group sales for a team based at York Lions won't make life any easier for Angus McNab & co.

It’s mls next pro, let’s be real the kids what to see TFC. I don’t think York should be or is worried

If you look at Next Pro scheduling, they really do not believe much in drawing fans. 

I posted on this on a BC thread as the Whitecaps team will play out of Swangard, where a team in the new L1BC team will be (and has been), TSS Rovers. And the latter have the good dates in their short season. The Caps have some rather crappy dates, perhaps because they are fully pro they have them midweeks a lot, and no consistent days (players in a semi-pro league can only travel weekends).

Then the Caps L1 team will be on a practice field out at UBC, while the L1 team with a stronger UBC affiliation, Varsity, will be at Thunderbird Stadium, not very far away. I don't think they'll rival each other for fans; L1 BC will only draw a few hundred maximum, unless a team or two market well. 

I predict the TFC II will draw 3-400 maximum, and York, if they spend some money marketing, will continue to draw similar or hopefully slightly higher than previous seasons, pushing 2000 or a bit over.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

TFC2 is not around to make money it’s basically the cost of doing business for TFC . Lamport Stadium would have made more sense , but that’s a busy stadium so they probably had   an easier time of getting dates at York than Lamport . However, more importantly for York United , the location of the stadium is good , however  they have to try and make that stadium more intimate , have to do something with that place.

I think I've cracked the code on "A. Trialist" who is with the team in the BC camp. 

The video of the penalties showed this curly haired scorer which wasn't one of the three other named scorers:

image.png.df8cbbb5f175f8bd90b96ff517fa2c34.png

I dug around for some more photos and was able to find this close up from the Whitecaps 2 twitter.

image.png.51855b6d45d6d01b238fa0aad3190262.png

The trialist seems to be Osaze De Rosario, son of Dwayne. He was most recently playing in the Ukrainian first division, but just 3 weeks ago the club announced his departure: https://www.instagram.com/p/CaDZB2mtiYf/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link

I understand why they were excited to keep this secret now. Good pedigree and huge name in the area.

Easy enough to simply ignore the post, if you are not interested in Northern Tribune's take on the subject, which is often a lot more detailed than the initial report elsewhere. I respect the effort they put in and seriously doubt they are making any money out of it.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot