York United - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

On 4/29/2022 at 10:53 AM, SoccMan said:

Surprise surprise has probably missed more games with injuries than he has actually played . Don’t see this player playing past this season unfortunately , how much longer can he go on especially at this level when injuries seem to follow him around and can’t seem to get any consistent amount of 

From playing in  England, Montreal, TFC and then Valour/York United I have a feeling this league will be the end of his soccer career. 

$5 tickets for tomorrow night's match in the name of soccer family unity.  This appears to be in reaction where they Whitecaps will trade old TFC gear for new stuff of theirs at this weekend's match. I am planning on heading up in my TFC gear.

As someone who doesn't really know southern Onterrible, is this the same complex that Woodbine talked about recently? Or are we looking at *another* world-class mega training facility in the GTA? 

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/woodbine-entertainment-prepared-to-designate-land-at-iconic-racetrack-site-for-high-performance-training-centre-and-community-stadium

37 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

As someone who doesn't really know southern Onterrible, is this the same complex that Woodbine talked about recently? Or are we looking at *another* world-class mega training facility in the GTA? 

https://yorkunitedfc.canpl.ca/article/woodbine-entertainment-prepared-to-designate-land-at-iconic-racetrack-site-for-high-performance-training-centre-and-community-stadium

Its a different municipality. 

My guess if this happens Woodbine doesn't. 

Ironically, the Ontario Soccer is in this same city. This is famously where TFC2 played its first season in USL before moving. That stadium was supposed to be expanded too.

12 hours ago, MtlMario said:

Towns fighting to build stadiums while here in P.Q. we can't build one. It's so sad.

This will be about 2026 World Cup related provincial and federal government funding to provide training facilities for the participating teams so Montreal dropping out of being a host city didn't help. TFC's Downsview facility and the OSA's Soccer Centre will probably also be available so questionable whether they need more than one new build on this in the GTA.

Greenpark Homes are no doubt after a way to use the sports complex to have a larger parcel of land rezoned for housing and commercial development they will also be involved with. Think the proposal with the CSA on board has the inside track so this latest development of York United and the CSA backing different locations is a bit of a bombshell.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/25/2022 at 12:24 AM, Cblake said:

Wow, not to get ahead of ourselves too much but York is one win away from hosting the Voyageur Cup Final, which could mean hosting TFC. 

Hmm ... I wonder if they'd play that at BMO - might be a boost to York's revenue if they were to make a deal.

20 hours ago, nfitz said:

Hmm ... I wonder if they'd play that at BMO - might be a boost to York's revenue if they were to make a deal.

Or it might not be. This is a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison but York has played 1 game at home vs an MLS team, and has played one game at BMO Field against Toronto FC.

Montreal at York in 2019 - 5,252

York at TFC in 2021 - 3,651

The reason why it's not a completely fair comparison is because that TFC game was in 2021 (nobody was going to TFC games last year in any significant numbers), and there was also a big rain storm that night.

21 hours ago, nfitz said:

This would be a good idea.

Might even be one of the first chances to watch Insigne play.

9 hours ago, Kent said:

Or it might not be. This is a bit of an apples vs oranges comparison but York has played 1 game at home vs an MLS team, and has played one game at BMO Field against Toronto FC.

Montreal at York in 2019 - 5,252

York at TFC in 2021 - 3,651

The reason why it's not a completely fair comparison is because that TFC game was in 2021 (nobody was going to TFC games last year in any significant numbers), and there was also a big rain storm that night.

Ah, good point about that 2021 storm - gosh, I got wet. Had front-row seats in supporters, and my son, who seems to give no fucks about heavy rain, insisted we stay in the front! Not that anyone needed tickets to be in the front that day - they emptiest I've ever seen BMO Field, except for that mid-week 10 AM make-up Champions League game, that they only announced a few hours earlier.

The reason however, that it could be different, financially, this year, is that Toronto FC sold a ticket package of 20 games (17 MLS games and 3 Voyageurs/Champions League/Leagues Cup games). As it stands, they are going to have to refund/credit two games to about 20,000 season-seat holders.

The potential pay-out to York can be guaranteed.

Hmm, I better check to see why I haven't had any York United emails this year ... make sure I have a ticket chance if it's up at York U.

Edited by nfitz

• 2 weeks later...