York United - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Anyone know if the south Americans made it in yet? With Veths tweets about visa problems it shouldn't surprise me to see another, third year of players that don't end up getting into the country to play for York.

Didn't seem to be a problem for Graiciar.

Probably has to do with Candian racist immigration policies.

Ie. Easier  for white guy from Czech Republic to get his work permit and visas approved

4 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

all the internationals are here but cabrera. he is apparently just behind hernandez in the process. it shouldnt be a problem if hernandez made it in. 

Great news. I can't cope with another season denying wheeler his right to Mel Gibson puns announcing William Wallace. 

Hopefully the Brazilians turn out better than Luca did in Calgary.

10 hours ago, toontownman said:

Great news. I can't cope with another season denying wheeler his right to Mel Gibson puns announcing William Wallace. 

Hopefully the Brazilians turn out better than Luca did in Calgary.

I wouldnt expect much from either of them this season. They are both 18 years old or so? Long term prospects and likely stuck behind Abzi, Max and Petrasso who will be starting at LB, RW and LW. 

Idk if it's been mentioned in this thread in addition to Nogueira, York has also brought in 21 year old keeper Gianluca Catalano and 18 year old defensive mid/centre back Nic Gagan for training camp.

Catalano has been a standout at UConn in the NCAA and with AC Connecticut in USL2, previously even got a few starts with TFC2 in the USL Championship.

Tough to find much information on Gagan, but interesting to see that he is repped by former HFX Wanderer Alex De Carolis.

3 minutes ago, gator said:

I guess York Utd didn't write an exclusivity clause into the lease, this can't be good news for a team struggling to draw fans!

Shot fired...

York United needs to either leave to York Region or stay in North York and look at Downsview...

Prediction...they stay put and get in a worse shape

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Whisky tango foxtrot?

Wouldn't York United have negotiated an exclusivity clause if they helped pay for the renovation?

It is York U's facility so they have an obligation to bring in new revenue when they can. TFC needed a stadium for this stadium as the training ground pitch they used did not have lights. The only other option in my eyes would have been Lamport. 

15 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

No one cares about MLS next pro let’s be real here, it’s an all advised warning shot, but the area can support both however only York will get a big crowd.

Agree with the first part (unless they shift the team at least two hours drive away from BMO Field and completely change the branding), but the second part seems a tad optimstic based on what we have seen up to now. My money is on neither will draw a big crowd. Having TFC pushing things like youth soccer group sales for a team based at York Lions won't make life any easier for Angus McNab & co.