York United - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Long term - that's a slam dunk for York United. Totally worth the growing pains in the initial years!

In a nutshell - Replicate what worked for Toronto FC, build your own Liberty Village

GO will have a station there

Woodbine-GO-FRONT-mainweb.jpg

And I know Finch LRT will be near with plans to extend there

https://woodbinecommunityplan.com/

Master Plan

https://www.swagroup.com/projects/woodbine-master-plan/

12-Night-Track.jpg

Given how thick they are laying on the BS, I'll believe it when I see it.

Here's one of the claims from the announcement:

The stadium and performance centre would also be one of the most accessible through public transportation with the proposed new GO Station. 

The stadium is proposed for the southwest corner of Rexdale Blvd and Highway - over 1 km north of the proposed GO Station.

Last time I tried walking around that area, there weren't even sidewalks!

If it happens, it will remove all the remaining links with any of the "Yorks". A new name would be in order. The Etobicoke Crack Mayors?

Edited by nfitz

Just now, nfitz said:

Given how thick they are laying on the BS, I'll believe it when I see it.

Here's one of the claims from the announcement:

The stadium is proposed for the southwest corner of Rexdale Blvd and Highway - over 1 km north of the proposed GO Station.

Last time I tried walking around that area, there weren't even sidewalks!

Should also be noted there are a lot of weasel words being used here. For instance they are saying that they are prepared to designate land.

From York's perspective this has some pros and cons.

First, is the question of timing.  If this is happening for 2023, great.  If it is a "possibly down the road" thing, it leaves them in limbo.

Second, this may be their best option for a tidy, right-sized soccer stadium that they can grow in to.

Third, it does have the potential problems with dates and revenue control associated with being a tenant.  Also, it is very clearly not in York.

1 hour ago, m-g-williams said:

When would this actually happen? I'm seeing references to the "first phase" beginning in 2023, but no real timelines clarifying when the stadium might be built. The wording of how Woodine "could" go ahead with all this still leaves me a bit skeptical. 

Wouldn't be the first time the CPL FO have blasted out great news like this that is in reality nowhere close to being a done deal. I get the positive PR but that swings negatively very quick or wastes positive momentum that fizzles out when there is no tangible progress. I'd just rather everything was announced when it was a done deal, new teams especially.

Think Woodbine's CEO, Jim Lawson, has a minor ownership stake in the Forge so there is a CanPL tie in that way. Beyond that there's probably scope for some funding related to the 2026 World Cup that they may be angling for, which might help explain the timing on revealing this.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think they’ll be at 8000 capacity for long if that station is built.

Another key aspect is the new neighborhood being designed around the stadium. Long term, visitors and residents in the area will be make this club a success just like Liberty Village did for TFC when they got started.

Add the the GO station linking to

• Kitchener and potentially a club their and their travelling fans
  • Finch LRT through northern North York
  • Eglinton LRT (via Mount Dennis through Etobicoke, midtown to Scarborough)
  • Future St.Clair West GO station
  • Future King-Liberty Station linking it to Liberty Village and BMO Field
  • Downtown Toronto

The investment and the current losses are more than justified with the long term outlook.

Kitchener-Line-MAP-EN-102918.jpg

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Their average so far is less than 3000 so they'd need to triple their attendance before it became an issue.

Luckily, there's more than enough land if a stadium expansion was ever warranted

Edited by Ansem

On 3/23/2022 at 5:44 PM, RS said:

Ah yeah, that is a decent hike from the proposed stadium site.

I see the Finch LRT extension roughed in there — that would be perfect if it ever comes to pass.

There's already a TTC 927 Express bus route that goes past there. When TFC II played at the Ontario Soccer Centre in Vaughan, I would take that bus from the Kipling subway station all the way to Steeles at Martin Grove, then walk north for about 20 minutes.

6 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

I don’t think they’ll be at 8000 capacity for long if that station is built.

Station won't be much good unless they build the Finch West Line 6 extension, to be able to get easily from the stadium to the GO Station. It's no where near the accessibility as the current stadium, just steps to a subway station.

Go train services on that line currently focus on weekday rush hour. They are talking about expanding it to all day but how well that would fit with weekend or late weeknight evening CanPL game timings in future is unclear. A Woodbine location would rely mainly on proximity to the 427 highway to draw a crowd. Definitely not as good as York Lions for public transit access.

Man, a lot of losses for York United in pre-season. Not giving me a ton of hope for the season. I thought due to the age of the team last year that with a year more experience we would be better, but the early signs aren't good. I haven't seen any of these games though. But 4-0 to Valour and 3-0 to TFC2 seem like pretty thorough beatings.

Not great on the face of it but It is pre-season. Who knows if they were playing their first choice lineup, testing different tactics or trying to get certain things out of games (probably not getting thrashed among them). Quite a few new players though with a new manager and coaches with a new philosophy. Same goes for Ottawa and Pacific, Edmonton for mass changes too. 

They are the one team every year I have expected to be in the mix at the top and never fulfil potential. Maybe this year?

I'm concerned for York as well. I thought they made a lot of the right moves in the off-season, but it doesn't seem to be happening yet. Has Martin Graiciar even played for them yet? Admittedly, it's still only preseason, so I won't officially start worrying till the season starts - I still feel they got the chance to be the top team in the league. I don't really see Forge, Pacific, or Calvary as being better than they were last year.