York United - 2022 Season Thread

Big_M

Definitely would be foolish to read too much into preseason games but the reason I think we are not seeing CanPL teams winning these games against Next Pro U-23 teams comfortably is that the quality of the imports they are bringing in is suspect with only a few exceptions such as Escalante and Morelli and the money they have left under the cap to pay experienced Canadians has not been enough to keep the likes of Gasparotto and Doner at York. 

On 3/26/2022 at 9:11 PM, Kent said:

Man, a lot of losses for York United in pre-season. Not giving me a ton of hope for the season. I thought due to the age of the team last year that with a year more experience we would be better, but the early signs aren't good. I haven't seen any of these games though. But 4-0 to Valour and 3-0 to TFC2 seem like pretty thorough beatings.

I have no love for York but I don't read anything into preseason games (for any team, in any sport).  If I were you, I would not be disheartened by preseason losses.

On 3/27/2022 at 3:19 PM, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Definitely would be foolish to read too much into preseason games but the reason I think we are not seeing CanPL teams winning these games against Next Pro U-23 teams comfortably is that the quality of the imports they are bringing in is suspect with only a few exceptions such as Escalante and Morelli and the money they have left under the cap to pay experienced Canadians has not been enough to keep the likes of Gasparotto and Doner at York. 

They let Gasparotto go and upgraded with Zator. They had both Doner and Nsa under contract and let Doner go so he could start in HFX. 

Graiciar ended up here because he is made of glass. I would be surprised if he plays more than %50 of games. 

We play Forge today, hopefully they provide us with updates. I wouldnt worry about the preseason results too much but the injuries are a concern with only 14 players available in one game. 

For those at the back of the room who couldn't hear, here's what was said during the @yorkutdfc alternate kit reveal on March 30/22 about the Woodbine facility, 2022 season, reasons why there's a new coach etc. http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports22/22york019.htm Also pics included.   

I could see this team pres starting a York United Ladies team if there is an equivalent female CPL league (rather than joining a US one) 

1 hour ago, ATM said:

York United should try and fill the permanent stands before adding mobile stands.  It will look more empty now.

Keeping organized supporters groups isolated from the youth soccer minivan crowd has long been the strategy in North American soccer. Would have thought Angus McNab would have tried to put his more rowdy fans on the far side from the expensive seats Dundee Derry style with the best possible vantage point to try to enhance the match day experience and create a bit of buzz about it:

but looks like they aren't viewed as a priority.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

40 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Keeping organized supporters groups isolated from the youth soccer minivan crowd has long been the strategy in North American soccer.

It is but it doesn't always work well.

I remember being at Ottawa Fury games where they had this separate stand in the endzone for the Ottawa supporters' group.  Depending on the game, there were maybe forty of them.  So instead of being this intense, loud group of fans inspiring their neighbouring fans to make noise, they just looked like forty awkward yahoos who had been sent to "ride the short bus" away from everyone else.

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

It is but it doesn't always work well.

I remember being at Ottawa Fury games where they had this separate stand in the endzone for the Ottawa supporters' group.  Depending on the game, there were maybe forty of them.  So instead of being this intense, loud group of fans inspiring their neighbouring fans to make noise, they just looked like forty awkward yahoos who had been sent to "ride the short bus" away from everyone else.

Agreed. I always hated having the Bytown Boys and Stony Monday Riot sectioned off from the rest of the crowd - the atmosphere just . . . deflated. Having the supporters in the main stand with the rest of the fans now with Atletico is a massive improvement.