York United Season Thread 2021

Big_M

23 hours ago, Bison44 said:

Is it April fools already??  

A couple weeks ago I was driving my family, and my wife said "Sharman has a pie shop around here", and I had no idea who she was talking about. Then she said again "The soccer guy Sharman". It still took me a couple minutes to figure out what she was talking about. Haven't tried a pie from there yet. Went to their website after seeing the York United news and it looks pretty good to me!

5 hours ago, Bison44 said:

My wife said "who would eat a meat pie at the stadium?"  I have enough trouble with mustard on my shirt from a hot dog.  

I'm guessing she's not Scottish! I went to a Celtic game and was told by my hosts that we should get pie's to fully enjoy the experience, but the line was too long at half time.

Here is an old article that shows that pie's at soccer games are definitely a thing.
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/13246491.celtics-pies-put-club-in-league-of-their-own/

"Named the best football pie in Scotland, the pastry beat competition from 47 other football club pies from Scottish clubs at all levels."

Although I failed to get a pie at the Celtic game, I think I've maybe had one at a Partick Thistle game (also in Scotland) and at a TFC game. I'm not sure if TFC still sells them, but they definitely did years ago.

43 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm guessing she's not Scottish! I went to a Celtic game and was told by my hosts that we should get pie's to fully enjoy the experience, but the line was too long at half time.

Here is an old article that shows that pie's at soccer games are definitely a thing.
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/13246491.celtics-pies-put-club-in-league-of-their-own/

"Named the best football pie in Scotland, the pastry beat competition from 47 other football club pies from Scottish clubs at all levels."

Although I failed to get a pie at the Celtic game, I think I've maybe had one at a Partick Thistle game (also in Scotland) and at a TFC game. I'm not sure if TFC still sells them, but they definitely did years ago.

You don’t want to know the drink the pie went with back in the day.

😳

From personal experience, I would describe the word "pie" as "the absolutely most disgusting thing to be found near or inside most English football stadiums"

"Burger" could also find similar definitions, I still have nightmares about the smell of sizzling something I later tried, lord knows why, at Prenton Park.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

From personal experience, I would describe the word "pie" as "the absolutely most disgusting thing to be found near or inside most English football stadiums"

"Burger" could also find similar definitions, I still have nightmares about the smell of sizzling something I later tried, lord knows why, at Prenton Park.

You just haven’t had a good pie. Most pies at football aren’t great. I have pie and mash before each West Ham match at a proper pie and mash shop with liquor and chili vinegar. Honestly, some of the best food when done correctly. Also great comfort food when under the weather. 

I am also someone who loves bovril.  A great drink on a cold winters night watching football. 

6 hours ago, gwsmith63 said:

You don’t want to know the drink the pie went with back in the day.

😳

The weird thing being that pretty much nobody in Scotland ever drinks bovril at any time other than with a pie at a fitba game. Think the meat in the pie is supposed to be mutton in a Scottish context but one of my cousins who worked in a butcher's shop at one point steered well clear of anything other than the more expensive steak pies as he said it could be pretty much anything that was lying around and couldn't be used for anything else. I'm sure James Sharman won't be adopting that approach.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

9 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

You just haven’t had a good pie. Most pies at football aren’t great. I have pie and mash before each West Ham match at a proper pie and mash shop with liquor and chili vinegar. Honestly, some of the best food when done correctly. Also great comfort food when under the weather. 

I am also someone who loves bovril.  A great drink on a cold winters night watching football. 

If you invite me I'll join you for a West Ham match, next time in London, and I'll invite you to do the same here in Barcelona before a Barça match. 

But we don't eat before matches here, and if we don't get a result, we don't eat afterwards either.

13 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Yeah, when we failed to get pies, we managed to get a Bovril still. It was around Christmas so definitely cold, and the Bovril was very useful!

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

If you invite me I'll join you for a West Ham match, next time in London, and I'll invite you to do the same here in Barcelona before a Barça match. 

But we don't eat before matches here, and if we don't get a result, we don't eat afterwards either.

You are more than welcome to come to a West Ham match with me and experience the worst ground in England. 

I'll be attending the match tomorrow and it's my first time at York Lion's stadium. What's the concession situation like (other than the aforementioned pies)? Also, I'm assuming everything will be cashless / use debit and credit? I looked on the York United website but couldn't seem much about the stadium amenities. 

20 minutes ago, Ftduck said:

I was at one game at York but only baught beer. Cashless and for some reason you were not allowed to bring alcohol to your seat. I'm one of those annoying plant based eaters so I cant comment on the food. Had a great time though and I'll be back!

Thanks! Actually I'm not eating meat at the moment, so curious about their offerings. 

24 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Missing Upton are we?

Just a bit but I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the match on Monday. Not sure if it was due to it being my first live match since December 2019 or because they squared off the ends but it definitely felt different. There are still things like the walk to the ground that will never be replicated but I hated the experience a bit less this time. 

4 hours ago, Greatest Cockney Rip Off said:

Just a bit but I will say I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed the match on Monday. Not sure if it was due to it being my first live match since December 2019 or because they squared off the ends but it definitely felt different. There are still things like the walk to the ground that will never be replicated but I hated the experience a bit less this time. 

You don't like the 15-minute walk around past the motorway because Westfield's won't allow football crowds to walk through the shopping centre?