York United Season Thread 2021

Big_M

1 hour ago, Kent said:

This is hilarious and awesome, but I have to admit even as a York United fan, I had them in 7th or 8th before the season started as well. 2 upsets away from glory! Even just 1 to end Forge's reign would be amazing.

I too was pulling for York to make the playoffs but I think Forge will be champs again this year.

• 2 weeks later...

On the face of the season its harsh. York played the long game with youth, were road blocked by covid in terms of visas for big international signings and seemed to make real progress this year.

Even with the obstacles thrown at him there was always the sense York were under achieving on and off the pitch. Ultimately, Brennan couldn't get them over the line enough and with his contract up I guess it was a natural time. 

Good luck to him and hope he continues on in coaching taking this experience and learning from it. 

Did he not have some sort of ownership stake in Y9? Might make for a good trivia question if that was the case. Think when you effectively have the entire GTA as your home market and have the inside track on signing players from there they should be doing significantly better than they are and after three seasons it was time for them to move in another direction.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

About time , never should have been the head coach in the first place . A classic example of not all pro players make good head coaches. Like I and others have mentioned before you have a team in a part of Canada that produces so many good players and you have access too so many good players and you barely make the playoffs in your third season . This is not good enough a joke really . Three waisted years , hopefully they hire a proper coach at least a coach with some experience of being a head coach and someone with some success and there are a few right in their back yard if they open their eyes .

Edited by SoccMan

I'm not too bothered one way or the other about Brennan being out. I didn't think he was a good manager through the first 2 seasons, then thought he was doing better this year, but not so much better that he needed to stay.

I wonder who will replace him. Personally I like the idea of bringing up a guy like Michael Aquino, who truthfully I know nothing about except that he has won a lot of national titles with Humber College. I like the idea of managers at lower levels in the country getting a shot in the CPL. Carmine Isacco is another but since he has already come and gone as an assistant, it doesn't seem likely he would be in the running for the head coaching gig. Maybe Stalteri, as Narduch mentioned.

This sounds sensible:

CanPL shouldn't be a make work project for a clique that's well-connected in CSA terms but otherwise second rate. Rob Gale is a prime example of who I am describing.

They'll already know first hand if Carmine Isacco and Paul Stalteri have the qualities they are looking for. In Stalteri's case it is important to bear in mind that the best players aren't necessarily the best coaches later in life. Think Carmine Isacco was a bit too vocal for his own good in a podcast a few months back to get anywhere near a job in CanPL again but time will tell.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot