Valour FC Season Thread 2021

Big_M

2 hours ago, toontownman said:

Don't they have Aleman for that?

Some spurious rumour on Twitter that Gale is moving to China to be an U18 coach for a team his Brother in law is supervisor. Would be odd timing, maybe at season end. Either way if Valour are looking at compo for him I would be biting that hand off. Rob seems like a good guy but is either limited or has terrible luck, either way I think Valour can get better. 

I thought aleeman was more of an acm whereas Froese was a dcm. I could be wrong 

interesting rumor about Gale. The money in China would be big I am assuming. I think cpl is a tough league to build a team at the moment I’d give him the benefit of the doubt. Looks like there’s been some good additions this year. Hopefully it works out

Might have dropped deeper over time, I haven't seen any of his German exploits? Was attacking mid and a winger for the Caps. https://www.transfermarkt.us/kianz-froese/profil/spieler/294701

Valour were night and day better last year and they have retained a solid core of that team and added what looks to be some great pieces. They need a quality goalscorer though. They are pretty solid and deep otherwise.  

Galan, Ohin and it sounds like Galhardo will be playing in CM and Levis can play centrally too. I agree they could do with another quality piece there but maybe Galhardo will be that. They almost seem bloated at AM with Aleman, Fordyce, Rea and Dyer.

Maybe they are happy to play with a withdrawn 9 and think the others will get goals. Fordyce has done that but I thought he was a waste of a roster space last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Looking at the roster and roster moves, it seems Valour has mostly flipped since year 1, when the focus of its spending and Gale's tactics was scoring goals, whereas now it seems largely on preventing them. The back line + goalkeeping looks solid but the midfield is thin and the attack unproven. Hoping for some pleasant surprises.

The player I will miss the most (I'm probably alone in this) is Diego Gutierrez.

20 hours ago, jonovision said:

Looking at the roster and roster moves, it seems Valour has mostly flipped since year 1, when the focus of its spending and Gale's tactics was scoring goals, whereas now it seems largely on preventing them. The back line + goalkeeping looks solid but the midfield is thin and the attack unproven. Hoping for some pleasant surprises.

The player I will miss the most (I'm probably alone in this) is Diego Gutierrez.

I think the first season was going to be difficult to sign anyone in a new league that didn’t pay well. They went with locals many had bad attitudes. This years team looks miles ahead. Looking forward to seeing some games in august

You know....don't think it would be that hard for the Winnipeg Football Cup to get a special event permit and open up an outdoor beer garden/patio for the Valour fixtures.

Set it up right against Gate 3 or Gate 4, where RRR have marshalled in the past, close to section 144 and where you can get something of a view of the pitch.  Fence it in, a few flat panels for the broadcast, tables, bevie tents.  Maybe a food truck or two.  

Would be outside the turnstiles so technically not in the stadium.  All in compliance with public health orders of course.  And "all age friendly" as well.  I'd bring freezies for the kids myself.

Could be fun for those that would be interested in that sort of thing.

Pretty sure it would add to the sense of occasion of the going ons within the stadium. Tourism Winnipeg could sponsor it.

Just saying...

Out of curiosity, do any of the Red River Rising folks have a sense as to how many of their members will meet the vaccination criteria for the in-person matches from 7 July onward? I'm really excited to see butts in seats again, but I know it all depends (as it rightly should) on the vaccine roll-out. 

Edited by m-g-williams

^  Think it's going to be a very low number.  As mentioned elsewhere the Valour crowd would generally be quite a bit younger than say the Bomber crowd, and a much smaller fraction.  As the older population has been the priority for jabs I would be shocked if they could find 2,000 fully inoculated ticket buyers out there, yet.

Big numbers supposed to be getting a 2nd needle over the next couple of weeks so towards the end of July there will be a lot more people out there who'd qualify for admission to IG Field.  

1 hour ago, Cheeta said:

^  Think it's going to be a very low number.  As mentioned elsewhere the Valour crowd would generally be quite a bit younger than say the Bomber crowd, and a much smaller fraction.  As the older population has been the priority for jabs I would be shocked if they could find 2,000 fully inoculated ticket buyers out there, yet.

Big numbers supposed to be getting a 2nd needle over the next couple of weeks so towards the end of July there will be a lot more people out there who'd qualify for admission to IG Field.  

Maybe we run in different crowds, but most of the people I have gone to games with in year 1 (mid to late 30s crowd) got dose 2 in the last week or two. So many wouldn't be eligible for game 1, but almost all could attend subsequent Valour matches. Families will be tougher to get in the door because many 12-17s are waiting on a re-up in the Pfizer supply for dose 2, and the issue with under 12s. My guess is at least 1000 for Valour matchday #3 and at least one or two "sellouts" (as long as the cap remains at 2000) by the end of the tournament.

37 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

I see Sirois sat, how are Rea and Ulloa looking ?

Yesterday was the first full 90 of Valour that I have been able to watch. Rea, to me, was fairly anonymous in his 45 minutes. His right-footedness playing on the left appeared to hold him back. Ulloa looked good.

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Yesterday was the first full 90 of Valour that I have been able to watch. Rea, to me, was fairly anonymous in his 45 minutes. His right-footedness playing on the left appeared to hold him back. Ulloa looked good.

Our Olympic qualifying team is going to be looking very nice.

I know this isn't really the proper forum but since this is a Winnipeg focused thread I wanted to get this in front of as many eyes as possible (I also posted in the Men's National Team area).

Nicolinos isn't normally open on Sundays, but Nick has agreed to open up tomorrow with a limited menu (pizza & salad), to show the Euro final and the Gold Cup match.  He will be open from 1-8 pm.  In theory those of us going to the Valour match could stop in afterward to watch the Euro final and stay on for the GC.  We'd be arriving a bit late though, and I suspect tables might be hard to come by at that time.  I'm probably going to go home after the Valour game and come back to Nicolinos around 4:30 or 5:00.

The game will also be shown on the patio if the weather cooperates.

So 4 games in, which new players is everyone liking so far? It looks like we might finally see Reyes tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that, but there have been a few standouts already.  Sirois is obviously incredible - I wish we didn't have to send him back after the season. Ulloa & Akio have shown some real sparks of potential.

For me though, I'm really loving Andy Baquero.  He was a big question mark for me coming in, because he hadn't played in a few years, & I wondered why an Ontario team didn't snap him up since he's been living in Toronto. But he looks like the real deal to me, and has been so important for us. I'm quite happy with that signing.

1 hour ago, MrsC said:

So 4 games in, which new players is everyone liking so far? It looks like we might finally see Reyes tomorrow, so I'm looking forward to that, but there have been a few standouts already.  Sirois is obviously incredible - I wish we didn't have to send him back after the season. Ulloa & Akio have shown some real sparks of potential.

For me though, I'm really loving Andy Baquero.  He was a big question mark for me coming in, because he hadn't played in a few years, & I wondered why an Ontario team didn't snap him up since he's been living in Toronto. But he looks like the real deal to me, and has been so important for us. I'm quite happy with that signing.

I m curious why the other Cuba defectors haven't been signed by CPL clubs. Reminds me of when Albert Watson and Daryl Fordyce showed up in edmonton looking for a new life away from Northern IReland

Can't disagree with anything that's been written so far.  Probably easier to name those that may have disappointed.  It really is encouraging.  Getting everyone working together better is priority #1 at this point I'd guess but that's what playing matches is all about.

Mikhael-AJB-Cebara looks a happy accident.  Nice to see Ohin showing a little more of what he can do when he feels like he only needs to be doing one job.

If Montreal wants to keep sending keepers our way year after year I'll be happy to get them some quality reps and experience.

Goals are going to be an issue, maybe.  Going to take a few players pitching in me thinks.  Haven't seen anything yet to suggest any player out there is going to become THE go-to goal scorer any time soon.

On 7/10/2021 at 9:31 PM, Cheeta said:

Goals are going to be an issue, maybe.  Going to take a few players pitching in me thinks.  Haven't seen anything yet to suggest any player out there is going to become THE go-to goal scorer any time soon.

Ricci 😎