Valour FC Season Thread 2021

Big_M

Northern Tribune hinting at a big defensive signing for Valour, Ricardo Ferreira? 

Gale Teases 'Big Profile' Valour FC Signing - Northern Tribune

"I DON’T WANT TO BUILD IT UP TOO MUCH AND OVER-PROMISE BECAUSE WE DON’T KNOW HIS PHYSICAL CONDITION, AND HE’S GOT TO GO THROUGH QUARANTINE. BUT, IN TERMS OF PROFILE, THIS IS BIG."

Rob Gale

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

So someone that hasn't played for a while? Sounds a bit like the Arnold Bouka Moutou signing. Someone with decent experience that has either been injured a lot/out of the game and available because he is without a club so Ferreira certainly fits the bill.

Huge drop in salary and playing standard but doesn't seem like anyone else is picking him up. 

Good shout @MM3/MM2/MM missed the defensive insinuation. Could be a loan for Dunn too but Ferreira would be a bigger profile. 

Edited by toontownman

18 hours ago, toontownman said:

So someone that hasn't played for a while? Sounds a bit like the Arnold Bouka Moutou signing. Someone with decent experience that has either been injured a lot/out of the game and available because he is without a club so Ferreira certainly fits the bill.

Huge drop in salary and playing standard but doesn't seem like anyone else is picking him up. 

Good shout @MM3/MM2/MM missed the defensive insinuation. Could be a loan for Dunn too but Ferreira would be a bigger profile. 

This may be way out of left field, but this fits the billing similar to the Arnold Bouka Moutou signing.

I think they may be bringing in Brazilian RB Rafael Galhardohttps://www.transfermarkt.us/rafael-galhardo/profil/spieler/124701

Gale followed him a few months back on instagram. Although I had to use google translate to get some loose translations, if you look at Galhardo's current instagram stories you will see that everyone is wishing him good luck as he departs on his next journey.

Formerly a Brazilian U20 International, 29 years old with over 100 caps at Brazilian powerhouses like Santos, Flamengo, Gremio, Cruzeiro, Vasco de Gama, Bahia and a short stint in Belgium with Anderlecht. Hasn't played a match since 2019 it seems and his contract would have recently expired.

On 6/1/2021 at 10:26 AM, Pottsy3 said:

This may be way out of left field, but this fits the billing similar to the Arnold Bouka Moutou signing.

I think they may be bringing in Brazilian RB Rafael Galhardohttps://www.transfermarkt.us/rafael-galhardo/profil/spieler/124701

Gale followed him a few months back on instagram. Although I had to use google translate to get some loose translations, if you look at Galhardo's current instagram stories you will see that everyone is wishing him good luck as he departs on his next journey.

Formerly a Brazilian U20 International, 29 years old with over 100 caps at Brazilian powerhouses like Santos, Flamengo, Gremio, Cruzeiro, Vasco de Gama, Bahia and a short stint in Belgium with Anderlecht. Hasn't played a match since 2019 it seems and his contract would have recently expired.

I guess my sleuthing proved to be right! Galhardo to Valour announced.

https://twitter.com/ValourFootball/status/1400497605839310851?s=20

Edited by Pottsy3

17 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Nice signing! Really rare to see a team's two marquee players being fullbacks so it will be interesting to see how Valour play.

Gale often tends to play players in sub optimal positions so it will indeed be interesting

To play the devil's advocate, isn't it more effective to have your main marquee signings in positions that can win you games? I'm an Everton fan, and it reminds me when our best players were our two wingbacks (Baines and Coleman) - capable of some great play but never enough to get us to the top of the table. At this point I'd be more concerned who is going to score Valour's goals and not jumping through hoops about picking up two wingbacks who, at the top of their game, were likely better than anyone else in this league ..

12 hours ago, Senorpopps said:

To play the devil's advocate, isn't it more effective to have your main marquee signings in positions that can win you games? I'm an Everton fan, and it reminds me when our best players were our two wingbacks (Baines and Coleman) - capable of some great play but never enough to get us to the top of the table. At this point I'd be more concerned who is going to score Valour's goals and not jumping through hoops about picking up two wingbacks who, at the top of their game, were likely better than anyone else in this league ..

This was their issue in the island games. How many goals can you realisticlally expect from Austin Ricci over a full season?

Considering the talk of Valour needing goal scorers, I looked into a player whom I thought would've signed with Valour in the past: Winnipeg native and former Foothills star Moses Danto. Turns out Danto got into some legal troubles after assaulting an RCMP last fall, so looks like we won't see that career come to fruition.

I have to say, for a league that was better than fair in Year 1 and has been forced to live and try to grow through this pandemic one does feel like the quality of this league is going to be better than ever.  Not speaking of this loan specifically, don't know enough about the man to say, just generally.  Feels promising league wide.

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

so hasnt played pro ball..of course great for valour who cant put themselves in a bad financial situation..lets see how mexican u23 compares to cpl

Gale referred to Reyes coming in because the Chivas wants him to learn from the defensive vets on the team. Seems like a win-win.

On 6/10/2021 at 5:17 PM, Cheeta said:

I have to say, for a league that was better than fair in Year 1 and has been forced to live and try to grow through this pandemic one does feel like the quality of this league is going to be better than ever.  Not speaking of this loan specifically, don't know enough about the man to say, just generally.  Feels promising league wide.

seems like contract with 21 sports agency seems to have run out. The signings seem to be of a high quality.

Wouldn't normally do this so indulge me.

In the same sort of way you can't say Winnipeg Voyageur without inferring NIcolino's (2077 Pembina Highway and as fine an Italian kitchen as you'll find) where the V's have long taken up squaters rights you can't say Valour without inferring King's Head.  Both these family owned business' have gotten clobbered.  The latest shut down especially hurting because it really has taken everything to try to just get to some sort of spring/summer opening that didn't get going.

So because I don't want my last memmory of sitting on the sidewalk patio on King Street being in 6 degree weather...

https://gofund.me/d80779ea

There it is.  If you can help a little, please do.  

Edited by Cheeta

On 6/12/2021 at 5:01 AM, Weng said:

I wonder if K. Froese has found a new team yet.  Would be nice to see him back in the Peg.

He hasn't been in peg since he was 14 /15 

Rmbr trialed in Germany then  Fced academy then whitecaps 

On 6/12/2021 at 8:34 AM, toontownman said:

Super interesting. Especially with this from wikipedia:

Guadalajara is the only football club in Mexico that doesn't allow foreign players to play in their club. The team has constantly emphasized home-grown (cantera) players and has been the launching pad of many internationally successful players, including Omar Bravo, Javier Hernández, Francisco Javier Rodríguez, Carlos Salcido and Marco Fabián.

There is also this:

According to a study of preferred football clubs published in April 2016 by Euroamericas Sport Marketing Spain, Guadalajara is the most popular team in Mexico, with 44.2% of supporters in the country. In 2020, Forbes estimated that the club was the most valuable of the league, ranking sixth overall in North America, worth approximately $311.5 million.

So basically a club that is hugely focused on development and is the most popular team in the most popular league on the continent has a relationship with Valour. Seems like a win-win? Also, are we now seeing an arms race begin with Atletico Ottawa/Madrid and Valour/Chivas?

21 hours ago, top cheese said:

Exactly the position they need filled to

Don't they have Aleman for that?

Some spurious rumour on Twitter that Gale is moving to China to be an U18 coach for a team his Brother in law is supervisor. Would be odd timing, maybe at season end. Either way if Valour are looking at compo for him I would be biting that hand off. Rob seems like a good guy but is either limited or has terrible luck, either way I think Valour can get better.