Valour FC Season Thread 2021

Big_M

20 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

J. Sirois and S. Rea on loan from CF MTL.

Both U-21, nice to see MTL making an effort to develop their youth. Have heard Rea is very good, idk what to expect from Sirois but another to watch, didn’t Valour draft a goalkeeper from Montreal ?

5 hours ago, Dominic94 said:

Both U-21, nice to see MTL making an effort to develop their youth. Have heard Rea is very good, idk what to expect from Sirois but another to watch, didn’t Valour draft a goalkeeper from Montreal ?

Yeah, but he didn't sign yet:
https://valourfc.canpl.ca/article/valour-fc-selects-yuba-rayane-yesli-third-overall-in-2021-cpl-u-sports-draft

• 3 weeks later...
24 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Huge blow here for Valour and the league. Another depressing byproduct of where we are still at. Would have been one of the best players in the league. Hope they can find a solution at this stage to replace him.

Yes, I think he was the best International signing of the off-season anywhere in the league.

Help me here, people.  See if my memmory isn't as wretched as I think or maybe I missed something.  

So, the CPL included a OneSoccer subscription with each 2020 season ticket renewal.   Wonderful marketing scheme I think everyone agreed.

Then Covid hit and everything went wonky.

CPL puts together the Island Games, best they could do given the circumstances it's generally agreed but you needed a subscription to watch the thing.  And you couldn't use the OneSoccer subscription which you received with your season ticket renewals because that subscription was going to be deferred to 2021.  You would have to buy a seperate subscription either directly from OneSoccer or through the CPL The Collective promotion.

Have I got it right so far?

Fast foward to last week when I'm informed my OneSoccer subscription has expired.  A subscription I had through buying into The Collective.  In response to an email I sent Valour regarding my hitherto paid for but as yet unreceived OneSoccer subscription.

On behalf of Valour FC thank you for your support. We recognize these past 13 months have been a challenge for our fans. The membership that was offered as part of the 2020 season ticket package was not pushed to the 2021 season.

So the tickets I bought and paid for 17 months ago which came with a OneSoccer subcription are a poorer value today?

Please correct my recollections where wrong.

And more importantly anyone know if this is a league wide policy?  Because I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or anything but it does sorta have that Blue Bomber/Valour feel to it.

Patiently awaiting a further clarification on the question from Valour.  $75 for a OneSoccer subscription.  Need to know if I'll have to cash in that $800 nest egg I left with Valour.    

13 hours ago, Cheeta said:

Help me here, people.  See if my memmory isn't as wretched as I think or maybe I missed something.  

So, the CPL included a OneSoccer subscription with each 2020 season ticket renewal.   Wonderful marketing scheme I think everyone agreed.

CPL puts together the Island Games, best they could do given the circumstances it's generally agreed but you needed a subscription to watch the thing.  And you couldn't use the OneSoccer subscription which you received with your season ticket renewals because that subscription was going to be deferred to 2021.  You would have to buy a seperate subscription either directly from OneSoccer or through the CPL The Collective promotion.

Fast foward to last week when I'm informed my OneSoccer subscription has expired.  A subscription I had through buying into The Collective.  In response to an email I sent Valour regarding my hitherto paid for but as yet unreceived OneSoccer subscription.

On behalf of Valour FC thank you for your support. We recognize these past 13 months have been a challenge for our fans. The membership that was offered as part of the 2020 season ticket package was not pushed to the 2021 season.

So the tickets I bought and paid for 17 months ago which came with a OneSoccer subcription are a poorer value today?

And more importantly anyone know if this is a league wide policy?  Because I don't want to throw anyone under the bus or anything but it does sorta have that Blue Bomber/Valour feel to it.

Patiently awaiting a further clarification on the question from Valour.  $75 for a OneSoccer subscription.  Need to know if I'll have to cash in that $800 nest egg I left with Valour.    

Here's my experience with Atletico Ottawa. Since it was our first season, no one had season tickets yet. Instead, we were told our deposits for season tickets would be deferred until the 2021 season. We could get the OneSoccer package if we signed up for The Collective. If we did, the One Soccer membership would expire at the end of 2020. However, in practice, the expiration dates seem to be all over the place. Some posters here said there's lasted until April. Personally, my expiration date is set for August 2021 (basically one year after I signed up for The Collective).

My guess for 2021, is they don't want to commit it to season tickets until they know if they will be playing in a bubble again and offer the OneSoccer subscription as part of a new Collective package.

Seems crazy the amount of players having issues. Hopefully the CPL has learned its lesson and will have to pony up a bit more for players. Real shame though, second season in a row it looks like exciting additions are being removed with little to no chance of them being replaced with anything but a lesser equivalent. 

Absolute buzzkill for fans and the league. Maybe it works out for another young Canadian though. If it ends up with Peruzza at Valour I am all for it.

Watching Valour and Gales first presser and it looks like he dropped a name at camp who is in quarantine, Andy Baquero. I'm very interested about this.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Andy_Baquero

Also said Nicky Baikas from the University of Saskatchewan is in camp

https://huskies.usask.ca/sports/mens-soccer/roster/nikolas-baikas/2593

Edited by VinceA

22 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Apparently another Huskie is in camp with Valour  Aaron Hidalgo-Mazzei - Men's Soccer - Huskie Athletics (usask.ca)

Winnipegger. Makes sense. 

Most interesting names are Mukumbilwa and Galvis. Thought Cavalry would be all over George given their fullback depth. Galvis returning to Winnipeg is interesting. Don't remember being overly impressed with him in year one.

No idea about the Cuban guy!

Andy Baquero is one of Cuba's best players, and I think he'd fit into the league quite well. Very tricky with great control in tight and a threat from distance, much like Borges. He's a technical and flexible central mid who can play a wide variety of roles, and also plays right back.

So even if he can't win a starting spot, he'd be a great depth player, but I think he'd be a great signing and probably a strong starter for Valour.

Cuba recently changed its policy on professional players, until a few years back the government wouldn't allow any players playing professionally abroad to play for the national team, even if they were otherwise allowed to travel to Cuba freely. A few years ago they started making exceptions on a case-by-case basis, letting some top players like Baquero play professionally in the Dominican Republic and Guatemala. But earlier this year this seems to have changed and now Onel Hernandez and a few other Cubans living abroad who previously weren't allowed to play for the national team were able to make their debuts in world cup qualifying.

What this means is Cuban players now have carte blanche to pursue professional opportunities abroad, so all this is to say that now is a fantastic opportunity to recruit players from Cuba who have previously never had much, if any, opportunity to play abroad despite their ability.

4 hours ago, Zem said:

Andy Baquero is one of Cuba's best players, and I think he'd fit into the league quite well. Very tricky with great control in tight and a threat from distance, much like Borges. He's a technical and flexible central mid who can play a wide variety of roles, and also plays right back.

So even if he can't win a starting spot, he'd be a great depth player, but I think he'd be a great signing and probably a strong starter for Valour.

Cuba recently changed its policy on professional players, until a few years back the government wouldn't allow any players playing professionally abroad to play for the national team, even if they were otherwise allowed to travel to Cuba freely. A few years ago they started making exceptions on a case-by-case basis, letting some top players like Baquero play professionally in the Dominican Republic and Guatemala. But earlier this year this seems to have changed and now Onel Hernandez and a few other Cubans living abroad who previously weren't allowed to play for the national team were able to make their debuts in world cup qualifying.

What this means is Cuban players now have carte blanche to pursue professional opportunities abroad, so all this is to say that now is a fantastic opportunity to recruit players from Cuba who have previously never had much, if any, opportunity to play abroad despite their ability.

Cpl should snap them up ...

5 hours ago, Zem said:

Andy Baquero is one of Cuba's best players

Is this the same player? He defected when in Canada back in 2019. Wonder what he has been doing since. Doesn't seem to have been playing football. Capped 27 times for Cuba though so he must have been reasonable. 

How do defectors get visas and permission to stay when they defect?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/cuban-soccer-players-defect-canada-report

On 5/4/2021 at 6:48 PM, Cheeta said:

The whole OneSoccer thing is a bit of a confusing mess.  I think the 'free' subscription that we got with the 2020 Season Tickets was supposed to be cancelled out completely when our 2020 season tickets were cancelled.  The money on our account just became a credit for future seasons.  I had a already activated my free code in February 2020 so I could watch Canada games, and was told that code would no longer be valid.  I guess naively, I just assumed it was cancelled, and I purchased the collective membership so I could have access to the Island games.  The Collective membership package stated that the OneSoccer subscription would only be valid until December 31, 2020.  I was expecting to need to renew it in January, but my subscription stayed active and didn't expire until February 2021, exactly one year after I activated the free subscription that was supposed to have been cancelled last August.  So it seems I probably could have kept watching the island games without buying the Collective.  I don't think their systems are sophisticated enough to actually cancel out the free subscriptions after they were activated.  The only people I know that had their 'free' OneSoccer subscriptions cancelled were people who told their clubs that the code was still active.

To be honest I don't mind having bought the collective, because I wanted to support the league and Valour in 2020, but the OneSoccer part did leave a bad taste in my mouth.  I didn't even mind having to pay more to watch the Island games, but the fact that they took away the monthly rate altogether and offered a 4 month price that cost the same as the previous annual cost felt shitty.  I would have preferred if they charged a normal price for OneSoccer and asked us to donate or contribute directly to the running of the games if they needed that.  I've since purchased a year subscription to OneSoccer because there were more Canada games I wanted to watch.  If there is another version of the Collective this year, I probably won't purchase it unless the benefits include things of value other than OneSoccer. 

Based on his videos. The Cuban player looks like a no brainer to sign. 

I suspect they will sign Mukumbilwa. it seems like it would be a common sense move for both parties. 

galvis was out of his depth year one 

I think the wb from u sask is a local whose been playing with lions. I believe he had a trial with real salt lake.

intresting some of the other locals they have. Budahoo is a good player from UCB. And artementenko seems to have gotten over his social media crying and has been granted another trial 

I also have to say the Cb mikheal (spelling) from the draft looks like a good pick up at the back. 

by my count they have room for two MF and a Cb. Again that depends on where the coaching staff feels some players fit postionally.