Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

EDIT:

Camp Poutine in 2021!

The official camp starts on Saturday January 9th.
½#CanMNT vs  ½#CanMNT scrimmage on Wednesday January 13th
#CanMNT vs #USMNT scrimmage on Sunday January 17th
#CanMNT vs #USMNT scrimmage on Saturday January 23rd

----------------------

The opponent that looks most likely: Panama

Manuel Arias, the president of FEPAFUT said back in mid-October:
"...y tenero un partido de local en enero con Canadá..." (...looking to play a friendly at home in January against Canada...)
https://twitter.com/TiempoExtraRPC/status/1316449383567810562

A few days ago Según Nuñez, the director of National Teams of FEPAFUT said that Panama could play two friendlies in January and they are still looking at hosting them in Panama:
https://www.telemetro.com/futbol/2020/11/12/panama-descarta-amistosos-diciembre/3451707.html

There are no quarantine requirements to enter Panama, only a COVID test (a negative test result 48 hours before arriving in the country or they force you to take a test at the airport)
https://pa.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

---------

Another possible opponent: Guatemala (but it looks more likely that they will play the USA or somebody else)

Guatemala plans to play a friendly against a North American in the US side in January:
https://lared.com.gt/la-seleccion-de-guatemala-negocia-el-primer-partido-amistoso-del-2021/

---------

Reminder: there are no FIFA release dates for January/February 2021 (but there will be for 2022).
https://img.fifa.com/image/upload/wt4ycd2y7awqfslrf8wi.pdf

Reminder #2: If you talk about COVID19 outside of the context of the organisational aspects of putting together a #CanMNT camp ( or perhaps the health of the players or staff ) you will ruin this thread. This is not an epidemiology or "COVID19 Pandemic Update" thread.

‐------

Now the latest rumour is vs the USMNT in Florida.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Why cant we work something up with the US?  Seems like a obvious choice as they have been playing so many of our "home" games in Florida anyways.  

Before 2020:

We need to play more games in Central America so we are ready for WCQ.

2020: Why can't we just play the USA in the USA?

Well not to be a smart ass, but if we have the CDN MLS players already criss crossing the USA, it seems like a game vs the USA would be doable.  And I take it back...to be a smart ass a few things have changed in the last year wouldnt you agree....so beggars cant be choosers eh??  Any game they are able to line up is better than no games and no camp.  

4 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Well not to be a smart ass, but if we have the CDN MLS players already criss crossing the USA, it seems like a game vs the USA would be doable.  And I take it back...to be a smart ass a few things have changed in the last year wouldnt you agree....so beggars cant be choosers eh??  Any game they are able to line up is better than no games and no camp.  

No worries, I was being a little sarcastic ;)

I didn't agree with the point of playing in the USA but it is a reasonable one.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

I doubt any of that has any bearing on whether or not Canada would play in December. I just think their plan is to put all their focus into January.

It better not disappoint....

Canada was never going to play in December anyway, but a large portion of (the small pool of) high-level domestic players potentially not being available would certainly make the decision easier.

There's been no public indication of the CSA's plans to put all their focus into January, so we'll see.

@Obinna Herdman who represents the CSA, went on record saying they were trying to plan a camp in either November or January when he took the call with KJ, Caldwell, and Wileman at the beginning of October. January being either a domestic camp or an U23.... something along the lines of that. With November "cancelled", that would indicate that January would be the focus...no? Or am I being a psychopath for trying to justify your narrative.

Edited by Shway
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vFayGZV_mQ

Just now, Shway said:

@Obinna Herdman who represents the CSA, went on record saying they were trying to plan a camp in either November or January when he took the call with KJ, Caldwell, and Wileman at the end of October. January being either a domestic camp or an U23.... something along the lines of that. With November "cancelled", that would indicate that January would be the focus...no? Or am I being a psychopath for trying to justify your narrative.

You just saved me a ton of time brother. I knew he mentioned that, so I was just looking for that on YouTube when your ping came in. Bless 🙏

13 hours ago, RS said:

There's been no public indication of the CSA's plans to put all their focus into January, so we'll see.

Ok seriously man, has there been any public indication of any kind of the CSA's plans?    

Yes, Herdman, said they were trying, but a coach will always say they're trying.  I haven't heard or seen anything besides that.

Edited by costarg

12 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ok seriously man, has there been any public indication of any kind of the CSA's plans?    

Yes, Herdman, said they were trying, but a coach will always say they're trying.  I haven't heard or seen anything besides that.

Wait, are you asking me? You seem to be responding to the two guys who posted right before you.

Hopefully there will be a January camp. The CSA's press release announcing the cancellation of the November camps made no mention of January, which seems a bit too deliberate to ignore. They're likely just covering all the bases, but still.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Wait, are you asking me? You seem to be responding to the two guys who posted right before you.

Yea that was confusing. Oh well.

2 minutes ago, RS said:

Hopefully there will be a January camp. The CSA's press release announcing the cancellation of the November camps made no mention of January, which seems a bit too deliberate to ignore. They're likely just covering all the bases, but still.

Ok put this into perspective.

There wasn't any announcement about a November camp happening, only Herdman insinuating that there might be one in the Footy Talks episode. Which ultimately then made the CSA release a statement announcing the cancellation of the November camps that they never announced in the first place (they didn't do it for October). Of course they wouldn't make any mention of January, because like November - they didn't make any stating there would be one (other than JH). So ultimately we gotta wait for an announcement, which could be in the same vain as the last announcement. I'm hoping it's not. 

I think we need to appreciate that having our best players available (and healthy) for March qualifiers is far more important than having a camp in January with a small sample of the actual team.

Indeed, we all would love to watch more footy and have the national team play all the time.  I agree that more games and more camps is always better. 

BUT, we need to think smartly.  In this unprecedented pandemic environment, with the increased risk of our players and staff getting sick while travelling, plus the significant financial constraints I'm sure the CSA is suffering from, let's just hope (and pray) we put our best team forward in March!  I guarantee that JH is laser-focused on March.  Without two guaranteed wins vs Bermuda and Cayman, it's all over anyway.

What would be the chances a player at a camp in January would suffer an injury that would keep them out for the next couple months? A zillion to 1? Couldn't you apply this theory to anything a professional footballer does? They play football everyday. Thats what they do. Why would it matter what shirt or where they're doing it? I dont think not doing a Jan camp is the end of the world but injuries is the last thing anyone should be concerned about. Mental exhaustion could be one but you could argue they might benefit. Fly me somewhere hot to be around friends for a week. I might cut off my left arm for that opportunity right now

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

I think we need to appreciate that having our best players available (and healthy) for March qualifiers is far more important than having a camp in January with a small sample of the actual team.

The risks are fairly low. The risk of injury is what it always has been, ( or maybe slightly higher due to unpredictable schedules since March), but these guys are all professional athletes.

1 hour ago, scooterlawrence5 said:

with the increased risk of our players and staff getting sick while travelling

The risk of COVID19 can likely more easily be managed when going from the offseason to a January Camp compared to the situation we are likely to be in in March, where players need to quickly fly from all around the world. If anybody gets sick in late January, they are also likely to have recovered by mid-March.

You also need the players and staff to feel at ease leading up to matchday and on matchday itself; at least one friendly as a dry run is a good idea.

3 hours ago, costarg said:

has there been any public indication of any kind of the CSA's plans?    

The CSA has always played its cards close to the chest. The mainstream press that have contacts with them (Neil Davidson is the perfect example) tend to report generic stories that are easily digestible by readers of mainstream publications. They never post rumours of things to come or things the CSA would be unhappy about. They also never post any tentative plans or anything prior to an official CSA press release. You have to go to the foreign press for rumours.

(In this case, the press out of Panama)

On 11/18/2020 at 5:50 PM, RS said:

There's no guarantee players from TFC, the Impact or Forge would be available, which severely limits the potential pool of players.

23 hours ago, RS said:

Canada was never going to play in December anyway, but a large portion of (the small pool of) high-level domestic players potentially not being available would certainly make the decision easier.

MLS playoffs plus the travel issues (pandemic related) that would affect the european based players very likely mean that they are doing our players a favour by not holding friendly or a camp in November and December.  
Take away those two groups of players, then whose left that would realistically warrant the interest for a possible 23 in a WCQ squad?