Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Akinola? I saw TSN hyping him up yesterday and I had to ask why? He doesn't play for us. We've got Larin, David, Cavallini, Corbeanu, Millar plus a handful of other players showing promise at a relatively young age. Mix in some multi national guys out there like the kid on Wolfsburg 

How many players do we want on the pitch at one time?

18 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Am I the only one who doesn't care about Akinola? I saw TSN hyping him up yesterday and I had to ask why? He doesn't play for us. We've got Larin, David, Cavallini, Corbeanu, Millar plus a handful of other players showing promise at a relatively young age. Mix in some multi national guys out there like the kid on Wolfsburg 

It's like they never got the news he's a USMNT player now lol

59 minutes ago, canadianbacons said:

Can't see Akinola accepting a Canadian call-up in this camp if we are playing the US.  He's not going to agree to playing against the team he just suited up for a month prior.  If he's really undecided he could refuse both call ups but my prediction is that he'll be training with the Americans.

This should kill any speculation regarding what Akinola intends to do.

If he refuses a call to the USMNT, to me that's a clear indication we are still very much on his mind, but if he attends USMNT camp, as expended, then it is just status-quo and everyone knows where he stands.

I just can't see Akinola refusing a call up right now, and I also can't see him not getting a call.

34 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Completely agree. If he weren't a dual national (especially with the U.S.), he would be much lower down on our priority list. It's almost like we're more interested in dual national drama, as opposed to the actual value of those players. Like, Akinola would definitely be nice to have in 5 years, but he's hardly a missing piece at this stage.

34 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I've never heard of one-time-switch paperwork going through in about 1 month. He's going to play for the USMNT if he gets a January call.

Wasn't implying he would file a one-time switch to play for us. If he attends CMNT camp, which I don't expect, it would be to train and not to play.

22 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That's a lot of detail. If it is true, he can't reveal such a source or it won't be a source again. He can't break confidence like that.

Ya, a friend of mine knows a guy kinda story. He knows I'm a long time Voyageur so shared a picture of the document with me. Neat to see. Not trying to get anyone in trouble, but it's exciting news in a time that seems like there's been no news for the CMNT.

Interestingly the player I know of that was called up, has never been called up before and he is European based(Germany) and is a defender. That's all I can divulge, but kind of surprised there will be some european based players there and it looks like they've gone pretty deep into the player pool. I may not post here everytime Phonzie breaks wind but I do know my Arfields to my Zators of Canadian football and this guy was not really on my radar even though he is on the Canadian's abroad list.

Lol thanks @Tyson M.....so we know Halbouni will be there. Because it can’t be Kennedy as he has shown he’s an important player for his team, and they are in season.

This is great, I love hearing that more U23 eligible guys will be there. 

I see the USA using an U23 team based on the fact they’ve had two recents full senior camps, and will be focusing on Olympic qualifying.

Belal Halbouni from Werder Bremen II has just posted a screenshot of the email being sent to players for the Camp on his Instagram.  In the email it confirms that the Camp is from January 9th to the 24th.  Parts of the email are cut off, however it appears to confirm everything that has been mentioned on this thread regarding only having training matches against the US.

I'm excited to see how deep the camp is going to be.  Halbouni was just starting to get regular playing time with Werder Bremen II and it sounded like he was doing well, before the German government shut down the German fourth tier competitions and below due to CVID-19.

45 minutes ago, aredding77 said:

...has just posted a screenshot of the email being sent to players for the Camp on his Instagram.  In the email it confirms that the Camp is from January 9th to the 24th.  Parts of the email are cut off, however it appears to confirm everything that has been mentioned on this thread regarding only having training matches against the US.

I'm excited to see how deep the camp is going to be.

It's great to get confirmation but somebody who knows him should DM him to tell him that he shouldn't post such things for all to see on the 'gram. Don't want the guy to get in trouble on his first call-up!

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It's great to get confirmation but somebody who knows him should DM him to tell him that he shouldn't post such things for all to see on the 'gram. Don't want the guy to get in trouble on his first call-up!

Screw that. The CSA never gives us any info. Let the players pass on some details. I'm sick of getting my info from a Central America reporter and putting the whole article into Google translate.

Edited by Stryker911

The thing is....apparently player letters were sent out last time. But we heard no official announcement from the CSA of a camp happening - just the cancellation. 

The way I see it right now is that letter was Photoshop. 😂

Edited by Shway

9 hours ago, One American said:

Someone needs to explain why the CSA has such a hard time scheduling friendlies. What else are they supposed to do? 

The lack of a response here should tell you we don’t know lol. My theory is really based on a few ideas that I have. There’s a reason our caps leader only has 89 caps. The first and obvious reason is we have had several years playing zero competitive matches in the past each time we miss the hex. Typically being eliminated from qualifying in the fall of 2000, 2004, 2008, 2012 and 2016 for world cups 2 years later. I think there’s less incentive to schedule friendlies during these down years when we won’t have a competitive match for months. 

Another reason is that Canada is very unique and not like any other nation because of the skewed ratio of Europeans players versus domestic players. I know this has slowly changed over the last decade but and with the CPL but having most of your top guys in Europe (or prior to 2007 all your top guys) apart from dero costs more money. So we’ve seen friendlies in Europe many times to try to make it more affordable. 

I really feel if we had made at least a hex at some point since 98 qualifying we would have a different mindset and maybe some cash stashed away somewhere. 

I always wished the CSA had an arrangement with the USMNT (or Mexico) where when they get their opponents, European/South American National teams, coming to the USA to play them, we would piggyback and play the same team even if it were the "B" line-up of the opponents, thus using the CMNT has a warm-up match prior, or a reward match for the opponents "B" team.  There is no doubt scheduling friendlies is expensive and we have not been a "draw" but by partnering with the US or even Mexico perhaps there would bring economic efficiencies to all.    I think this happened once recently when we ended up playing Colombia at Red Bull Arena.  I was hoping it was the start of a trend then but unfortunately not.

11 minutes ago, A Different Perspective said:

I always wished the CSA had an arrangement with the USMNT (or Mexico) where when they get their opponents, European/South American National teams, coming to the USA to play them, we would piggyback and play the same team even if it were the "B" line-up of the opponents, thus using the CMNT has a warm-up match prior, or a reward match for the opponents "B" team.  There is no doubt scheduling friendlies is expensive and we have not been a "draw" but by partnering with the US or even Mexico perhaps there would bring economic efficiencies to all.    I think this happened once recently when we ended up playing Colombia at Red Bull Arena.  I was hoping it was the start of a trend then but unfortunately not.

That was through a third party marketer - nothing to with the USSF or FMF. Same thing happened against Brazil in 2008. The only time we can seem to arrange decent friendlies in North America is when they land in our lap.