Camp Poutine 2021 @ IMG in Florida Jan 9 -24

2 hours ago, farrelld said:

In an interview this week Piette said that he got a call from the CSA to say that there might be a camp this January and to may expect a call up.

https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/onze-mtl/id1457912124?i=1000499244020

EDIT:

1) For others who may be interested, the podcast is 39 minutes long. He talks National Team stuff starting at minute 35. So skip almost to the end!

2) He says «...de ce que j'ai entendu, on aurait des matchs préparatoires en janvier...» , which of course implies more than one game. :) 

Since Panama also said they were playing friendlies (plural), I am going to assume we play Panama twice. 

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

3 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Oh boy, lets not do this again.  I know everyone is bored and there is little going on now but geesh.  3-4 pages of speculation and then 10 pages of angry posts about a camp that never was officially announced..ughh, cant we just reread the Nov friendlies thread instead?  

#freethenovemberfriendliesthread

• Olympique_de_Marseille changed the title to Camp Poutine 2021 (January friendly matches) - We play Panama twice in Panama City?

49 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Does short camp make anyone else think European players may be involved, or am I reaching?

I had the same thought.

Here is the exact quote from the Eustaquio interview:

"Tenemos una convocatoria ahora en enero porque la gente en América está parada en ese tiempo y quieren volver a entrenar, algo corto. En enero jugaremos contra Panamá. Después, en marzo, empezaremos la fase de clasificación para Catar."

It's rather ambiguous. I think maybe they sent the call out to European Clubs just to see who would be allowed to go.

Adekugbe should be there I think. The Norwegian Eliteserien ends in December and starts again in April 2021.

• 2 weeks later...

Dear friends, the possibility of playing here vs Canada in January still stands, this time a well-known local sports journalist Ricardo Icaza referred it today in a tweet. According to him, Panama would use players from the local league to test them before the qualifiers and it would be two games ... I wonder what players Canada would bring. 

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

Dear friends, the possibility of playing here vs Canada in January still stands... I wonder what players Canada would bring. 

Thanks for the latest update!

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

... I wonder what players Canada would bring.

Canada can bring MLS players, USL players and CanPL players.

+ Sam Adekugbe (the season in Norway will be over)

+ Doneil Henry (if he isn't injured)

+ perhaps guys that are not playing with their first teams (I'd be interested to see if Theo Corbeanu, Liam Millar & Manjrekar James could join)

+perhaps...Sefan Mitrovic (the Serbian League takes a break between mid-December and February 6th)

I'm not sure who else could be called up. Did I miss any guys?

2 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for the latest update!

Canada can bring MLS players, USL players and CanPL players.

+ Sam Adekugbe (the season in Norway will be over)

+ Doneil Henry (if he isn't injured)

+ perhaps guys that are not playing with their first teams (I'd be interested to see if Theo Corbeanu, Liam Millar & Manjrekar James could join)

+perhaps...Sefan Mitrovic (the Serbian League takes a break between mid-December and February 6th)

I'm not sure who else could be called up. Did I miss any guys?

I tried to make a list of the MLS/USL/CanPL players we could call and scrapped it. Just too hard to predict who'd be called with so many deserving players.

Putting the regulars aside for a second, you'd have to assume that St. Clair, Buchanan and Johnston would absolutely be called. Then I would put Baldisimo, Gutierrez, Priso and Raposo in the "likely" category, probably in that order. I have a hunch that Raposo would be overlooked, which would be a little harsh, but at some point players miss out, because you cannot call everyone.

The CanPL guys are a wildcard. I can see a few standouts like Bustos or Bekker being re-called after long absences from the national team. Would a "Forge bump" be enough for any of Kwame Awuah, Tristan Henry, Mo Babouli, or David Edgar to get a call? Wouldn't be surprised to see at least 1 of those guys. What about Mo Farsi at Cavalry, not to mention Zator or Carducci? Didic at Edmonton? I think it is unlikely that all of these players miss out. Put me down for 1-4 of these CanPL players making the cut, Bustos and Bekker included. 

I would be surprised if anyone from the USL Championship or League one earned a call, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Perruzza did well on his San Antonio loan, as did Callum Montgomery. Is there room for them and if so, who misses out? Someone has to. 

If this camp even happens it is shaping up to be a strong squad, stronger than the last one we called for Camp Poutine. Kaye and Cavallini alone make the group stronger, and this years new blood is something to be excited about for sure. 

Edit: Just saw the Edgar thread, guess that rules him out. Congrats to him on a fantastic soccer career. A legend of the Canmnt for sure. 

Edited by Obinna

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

...David Edgar to get a call?...

Despite his many years with the #CanMNT, it's not like Edgar is going to break a caps or goal scoring record with one more final cap. Since he is retiring at the end of Forge's CONCACAF League matches, I doubt he will get the call.

31 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I would be surprised if anyone from the USL Championship or League one earned a call, but it's not out of the realm of possibility. Perruzza did well on his San Antonio loan, as did Callum Montgomery. Is there room for them and if so, who misses out? Someone has to. 

No love for Tyler Pasher?

Also how much of this camp is also to prepare the U24 guys for Olympic Qualifying?

How many guys on this list get the call?

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-provisional-list-for-concacaf-mens-olympic-qualifying/

Since the Polish League goes on break until February, would a guy like Kris Twardek get the call?

If we play 2 matches vs Panama, do we play two completely different starting 11s?

Just now, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Despite his many years with the #CanMNT, it's not like Edgar is going to break a caps or goal scoring record with one more final cap. Since he is retiring at the end of Forge's CONCACAF League matches, I doubt he will get the call.

No love for Tyler Pasher?

Also how much of this camp is also to prepare the U23 guys for Olympic Qualifying?

How many guys on this list get the call?

https://www.canadasoccer.com/news/canada-soccer-announces-provisional-list-for-concacaf-mens-olympic-qualifying/

Since the Polish League goes on break until February, would a guy like Kris Twardek get the call?

If we play 2 matches vs Panama, do we play two completely different starting 11s?

Yup you're right on the Edgar thing, I hadn't seen the news until after I posted.

Right. Tyler Pasher. I knew I was forgetting someone in USL. He deserves consideration for sure. I would say Twardek should be in contention for a call, but perhaps we instead debut someone on this side of the pond, like Raposo. Just a thought. I think Twardek is more deserving though. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Yup you're right on the Edgar thing, I hadn't seen the news until after I posted.

Right. Tyler Pasher. I knew I was forgetting someone in USL. He deserves consideration for sure. I would say Twardek should be in contention for a call, but perhaps we instead debut someone on this side of the pond, like Raposo. Just a thought. I think Twardek is more deserving though. 

Possibly even Jordan Peruzza.  He is fairly highly rated and joining Toronto FC's first team in 2021.  He went down to San Antonio late in the season and made a splash with 3 or 4 goals in about 5 games.

I rather this camp be an U24 focused one tbh.

At this point, it makes no sense calling in guys like Osorio, Cavallini, Kaye, Laryea and Piette - we know what they can do. Let them enjoy their offseason, spend time with their families before they have a gruelling year. Let this be about finding/strengthening the depth.

If this camp happens, it’ll be the last look before the big dogs come out and they all haven’t been together since last year....so what’s the point.

Plus a U23 side would be just as strong, to play a local side.

Edited by Shway
u24 Instead of U23

IF.....if there is a camp why wouldnt you call the big guys that were mentioned??  Laryea has only been in 6 games for us.  And if any of the new younger guys really stand out, they'll need to fit in with vets like Cav, Oso, Piette etc etc.  Whichever ones want to come.  There needs to be some continuity there to get the most out of a camp.  You can think of it as a u-23 group with the overage players already in the mix.  

No reason it can't be a much bigger than normal squad with the ability to have inter squad friendlies between them. 

Depends what the basis of doing a camp is. Do we need to form an U24 squad for the Olympic Qualifying? Yep. Is this likely the last chance to get the full mens team, who haven't met since last January, together before WCQ? Yep. It should be a large enough camp to satisfy both needs imo. We should have saved the dollars enough to do it too. 

If some bigger players decline thats fine. I agree with @Bison44though. Lots of those big names weren't involved last January, it will be nearly a year and half since our best team were brought together. I would rather that first time back is not for an all important game.

Kind of agree with @Shway in that we should be youth focused and if I am not mistaken Herdman also eluded to this being an U-23 focused camp. Let's call it U-24 as the point is to get the Olympic guys some reps. 

At the same time though I see what @Bison44 and others are saying. Get some guys like Laryea in there with Cavallini, Kaye and others who are moreso regulars. 

I think it could be a mixture of both approaches. Mostly youth and perhaps some of the senior guys availability may depend on each individual situation. It really has been a trying year being forced to play away from home and away from family. 

You need the senior guys in camp as they won't have played a full international match since Nov 2019 and a similar camp to this one for the Iceland series in January 2020.  While this doesn't nearly replace a full camp, getting some more familiarity between the MLS players from different clubs and the European ones in winter break is important.  By all means, fill all the other slots with some like Buchanon who have potential to grab one of the 18 spots on full side plus some of the younger guys that have potential.  But you need the senior guys there.

11 hours ago, Bison44 said:

IF.....if there is a camp why wouldnt you call the big guys that were mentioned??  Laryea has only been in 6 games for us.  And if any of the new younger guys really stand out, they'll need to fit in with vets like Cav, Oso, Piette etc etc.  Whichever ones want to come.  There needs to be some continuity there to get the most out of a camp.  You can think of it as a u-23 group with the overage players already in the mix.  

7 hours ago, An Observer said:

You need the senior guys in camp as they won't have played a full international match since Nov 2019 and a similar camp to this one for the Iceland series in January 2020.  While this doesn't nearly replace a full camp, getting some more familiarity between the MLS players from different clubs and the European ones in winter break is important.  By all means, fill all the other slots with some like Buchanon who have potential to grab one of the 18 spots on full side plus some of the younger guys that have potential.  But you need the senior guys there.

I’m not trying to be cynical, just trying to think strategically....but now we need our bench to be together?

Except Laryea...majority of the MLS guys aren’t projected starters, so one they aren’t the big guys, and secondly the time to talk about continuity, familiarity, game reps blah blah blah ....have long gone, like the November friendlies and its thread. 

Let's look at who the main players are: Arfield, David, Eustaquio, Davies, Larin, Hoilett, Borjan, Henry, Vitoria, James, Adekugbe and *Hutchinson are a massive contingent of the team who will not be available. But we've seen them in camp, and can see them play so we know what they bring as veterans. Add Kennedy, and Elva as possible contributors. That’s - 12(14)guys, add the 6 MLS regulars Osorio, Kaye, Piette, Cavallini, and Laryea and it’s 18 guys who are already shoe-ins for the 23 man WCQ squad. Which leaves 5 depth spots. 

The reason why we can't compare this to last January camp, is because the importance and focus was completely different. We we're playing the game of rankings, trying to gain points on El Salvador so we needed our best guys available. There's not much familiarity or continuity going to be made in this camp, as I said before a lot of the core MLS guys are battling for the same position, and a guy like Buchanan will not  My thinking is that we need to give a last look at 80+ player database who can come into the squad, while preparing for the U24 Olympic qualifying - two birds one stone. 

Theoretically there are 5 deep depth spots left. Let's see how they do, best guys will earn it the rest will be preparing for U24 qualifying. Because let's be honest, we can't call these games WCQ preparation when majority of the key squad won't be there. 

Goalkeepers (3): 
Pantemis, St. Clair, Hasal

Defenders (10):
Cornelius, Miller, Guiterrez, Johnston, ZBG, Abzi, Farsi, Dunn, N'Sa, Amuz

Midfielders (6):
Fraser, Baldisimo, Okello, Buchanan, Shome,  Borges

Forwards (7):
Bair, Millar, Corbeanu, Nelson, Shaffelburg, Campbell, Tabla

Incase no European guys: Metclafe, Peruzza, Verhoeven
*Bold have senior caps

-------------St Clair

ZBG - Dunn - Cornelius - Guitierrez