Locations for Canada home games for WCQ

TGAA_Star

As far as ideal locations for where Canada should play its home games for World Cup qualifying for Qatar 2022:

1- BMO Field (Toronto, Ontario)

2- BC Place (Vancouver, BC)

3- Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton, Alberta)

4- TD Place (Nation's capital of Ottawa, Ontario)

13 minutes ago, devioustrevor said:

Grass should be the preference 

BMO and Saputo for big games. ATCO, Wanderers Ground and Centennial Stadium (Victoria) for smaller opponents.  

If we are going to play on Turf, I prefer Foote over Commonwealth for Edmonton anyways.  I think a full 6000 stadium would be better than 20k in a 60k stadium.

Over Westhills stadium in nearby Langford? An interesting choice. 

The smallest opponent we may get is probably Antigua.

Edited by Obinna

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

This 👆🏻 or  Wanderers Grounds  vs Antigua .  Location should  certainly be determined according to the opponent. BMO or BC Place for USA, Honduras or CR.  Send Mexico to Winnipeg or Edmonton (if I good recall the manitos have never won at the Commonwealth.)  and fewer Mexican fans than in Toronto/Montreal. 

Edited by xabuep2

I mean there nothing really wrong on playing on turf so I’d say big games in Vancouver due to the stadium size and because I think more fans will show up than Toronto or Montreal. Don’t really get the idea of playing a World Cup qualifying match in a small stadium when you can get 15-20k fans at a bigger one especially if International soccer rarely cones to town.  Those types of stadiums should really be reserved for friendlies or competitions like nations league.

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I mean there nothing really wrong on playing on turf so I’d say big games in Vancouver due to the stadium size and because I think more fans will show up than Toronto or Montreal. Don’t really get the idea of playing a World Cup qualifying match in a small stadium when you can get 15-20k fans at a bigger one especially if International soccer rarely cones to town.  Those types of stadiums should really be reserved for friendlies or competitions like nations league.

I guess I can get the appeal of Canada playing its home games for WCQ at BC Place. However, in Toronto or Montreal you are guaranteed to get sell-out games for WCQ. But then you also get sell out games in Vancouver too. So yes, you are right it all comes down to opponents I guess.

7 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

This 👆🏻 or  Wanderers Grounds  vs Antigua .  Location should  certainly be determined according to the opponent. BMO or BC Place for USA, Honduras or CR.  Send Mexico to Winnipeg or Edmonton (if I good recall the manitos have never won at the Commonwealth.)  and fewer Mexican fans than in Toronto/Montreal. 

Edmonton is closer to me personally, but I wonder if Winnipeg is better in the case of Mexico?

Winnipeg likely has an even smaller Mexican population than Edmonton. On the other hand, with Alphonso in the team we could probably get a lot of people out to see the hometown kid.

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Edmonton is closer to me personally, but I wonder if Winnipeg is better in the case of Mexico?

Winnipeg likely has an even smaller Mexican population than Edmonton. On the other hand, with Alphonso in the team we could probably get a lot of people out to see the hometown kid.

Canada playing in Winnipeg at IG Field for WCQ is not a bad idea but at Commonwealth Stadium you are guaranteed to sell out faster than you would at IG Field

As always, the primary factors to be considered are:

- reducing travel time and jet lag for the majority of our players

- playing surface that the majority of our players are accustomed to

- playing in a stadium with the best facilities and amenities for our players

Please note:

- spreading out games so fans across country can see the team - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in the biggest stadium - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because X city has better fans than Y city  - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because most of the player's families are there - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because X city will have less traveling fans than Y city - DOES NOT MATTER

14 hours ago, Obinna said:

Westhills is Turf.

If we're playing on Turf, any WCQ that may have been played at Westhills will probably be at BC Place anyways.

3 hours ago, BrennanFan said:

As always, the primary factors to be considered are:

- reducing travel time and jet lag for the majority of our players

- playing surface that the majority of our players are accustomed to

- playing in a stadium with the best facilities and amenities for our players

Please note:

- spreading out games so fans across country can see the team - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in the biggest stadium - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because X city has better fans than Y city  - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because most of the player's families are there - DOES NOT MATTER

- playing in X city because X city will have less traveling fans than Y city - DOES NOT MATTER

It's easy to say that those factors don't matter when by excluding them the main stadium is your local one. Toronto doesn't pull well for Canada for whatever reason. People will always give excuses why, but at the end of the day I bet the players would prefer to play in front of more fans especially in pivotal games

"spreading out games so fans across country can see the team

"playing in X city because X city will have less traveling fans than Y city"         "playing in the biggest stadium"   

Spreading out the game isn't the reason to play in Vancouver, the reason to play here is because Canadians are going to show up here better than Toronto. Toronto is very diverse city and due to this when we play central american/Caribbean nations there's a good chance of a sizable group of opposing fans showing up that you don't get in Vancouver. Acting like it doesn't matter is stupid, you want a home game to be a home game, it doesn't matter how good the facilities are if a large group of fans are going to take away the home advantage. In regards to playing in the biggest stadium not mattering, I bet the CSA would disagree. as they make more money if they sell more tickets. At the end of the day the majority of the games will probably be played in Toronto this cycle, because it's the "National Soccer Stadium" and due to there being less qualifying games than normal. However, I hope we don't because there's great fans all around the country who would love to be able to watch the team play but rarely get the chance.

19 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

As far as ideal locations for where Canada should play its home games for World Cup qualifying for Qatar 2022:

1- BMO Field (Toronto, Ontario)

2- BC Place (Vancouver, BC)

3- Commonwealth Stadium (Edmonton, Alberta)

4- TD Place (Nation's capital of Ottawa, Ontario)

What's your first choice quiz master?

2 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

you want a home game to be a home game

I'm jumping back into this endless discussion because someone always brings up a point like this.

When has a Canada game at BMO Field ever not been a "home" game? Even at its worst its always still overwhelmingly home support in the stands.

I don't care where Canada plays any more because there will always be someone bitching about it, and honestly it's good to see the team feature anywhere on home soil. What I don't like are disingenuous arguments, however.

(That's ignoring your other major point: the CSA makes more money selling more tickets at certain venues, which isn't exactly true but whatever.)

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I In regards to playing in the biggest stadium not mattering, I bet the CSA would disagree. as they make more money if they sell more tickets. At the end of the day the majority of the games will probably be played in Toronto this cycle, because it's the "National Soccer Stadium" and due to there being less qualifying games than normal. However, I hope we don't because there's great fans all around the country who would love to be able to watch the team play but rarely get the chance.

I heard on a podcast earlier this year that BC Place's rent is prohibitively expensive, hence the choice of Westhills for the Trinidad games.  

Below is Peter Montopoli explaining further

The rent is too damn high : lostgeneration