Alistair Johnston

lazlo_80

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Quite the mess for Celtic as it looks like they are going to lose, it's 2-0 as they go into stoppage. The same day Rangers lose, they can't take advantage of it. See Johnston got a yellow 2nd half, but am not watching.

I’m watching the game on Hearts TV.  Hearts should have had 4-5 goals but so could have Celtic but for our keeper.  The yellow for Johnston was likely a lot of frustration.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

We gotta try out a traditional back 4 with this man as RB. 

100% agreed. A back 4 of Davies - Miller - Bombito - Johnston would solve a lot of our defensive woes against top teams without sacrificing very much on the attack. I really hope that whoever comes in as our new Manager takes the approach of playing our best players at their natural (or club) positions and ditches the "Davies is our best player therefore he must be a Forward" mentality. Johnston being a superb natural RB strengthens this argument even more.

11 minutes ago, Wasp said:

100% agreed. A back 4 of Davies - Miller - Bombito - Johnston would solve a lot of our defensive woes against top teams without sacrificing very much on the attack. I really hope that whoever comes in as our new Manager takes the approach of playing our best players at their natural (or club) positions and ditches the "Davies is our best player therefore he must be a Forward" mentality. Johnston being a superb natural RB strengthens this argument even more.

Say it again, louder for the back of the class!

1 hour ago, Wasp said:

If we are talking against good teams:

Johnston (since its his thread) is still our best crosser as he partially showed yesterday and getting him involved would be nice offensively.  The defensive rigour he faces in an essentially two-team league week-in/week out is not high however.  They finished the bottom of their Champions League group with a -10 goal difference, against good teams.  Got caught on the ball, for an easy goal against the last good team (Japan) Canada played.

Bombito should be there barring any setbacks, but you do probably need a proven leader. 

Playing in a two is not going to stop Miller getting done over the top/for pace again, (see  Batshuayi, Oršić, En-Nesri, ) it's just going to expose it more.  If he plays (for his leadership/organization) he needs to be protected with more than one other CB, (probably both who have qualities he lacks, height and pace)

If you didn't think Davies had much to do with our attack vs. T&T, I would honestly go back and watch it. We would have been gone and out of sight, if people had finished the chances he made early on. He has also scored our only World Cup goal (against the best team we have faced in while, in my opinon) not playing leftback. 

People who say Davies' "natural" position is leftback, especially against the teams we will be facing, seem to be going off Google results from 2/3 years ago. You have to remember why he was such a great back when Bayern were winning everything (mopped up everything on the counter and provided diversion runs) and then you have actually watch him against teams that can pass the ball around. Most of the type of goals that Canada have conceded, he doesn't make a difference for as a defender.  In fact, scored against us vs. Japan because he was close to our net. To me a classic lack of natural defensive instinct on display. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Playing in a two is not going to stop Miller getting done over the top/for pace again, (see  Batshuayi, Oršić, En-Nesri, ) it's just going to expose it more.  If he plays (for his leadership/organization) he needs to be protected with more than one other CB, (probably both who have qualities he lacks, height and pace)

Agree with most of your post, only part I will critique is the Miller bit.  Instead of changing formation to help or cover for Miller's weakness, we can do something wild like replace him completely with Cornelius who is quicker and taller.

11 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agree with most of your post, only part I will critique is the Miller bit.  Instead of changing formation to help or cover for Miller's weakness, we can do something wild like replace him completely with Cornelius who is quicker and taller.

I do feel like Cornelius has been somewhat forgotten about in these threads. A few years back he was arguably the best player in a U20 and U23 tournaments. As a CB, I understand he's not going to play because of his age, but now he seems to be the right age to step in. He's jumped around from club to club but I think he's a solid part of a decent club now.

I think the questions we need to ask is, do we desperately need to play Johnston as a RB or not. It is hard for me to think that we will not play with 4 at the back at Copa, but that is the question... and then we can slot Davies in at LB

18 minutes ago, costarg said:

Again, its is hard for me to walk into a big game with players organizing the back line who have not shown leadership in big games for us.  He has been the constant in the setup for a few decent MLS sides as well as been with us through most of it.    Plus I have watched well-worked 3s work a treat against decent teams recently. 

Also Adekugbe hadn't played again, when I switched off last night.  Having a 2 back there depends a lot on him for me.  Maybe Laryea but is that his natural position?😉.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, Tyson M said:

I do feel like Cornelius has been somewhat forgotten about in these threads. A few years back he was arguably the best player in a U20 and U23 tournaments. As a CB, I understand he's not going to play because of his age, but now he seems to be the right age to step in. He's jumped around from club to club but I think he's a solid part of a decent club now.

I think the questions we need to ask is, do we desperately need to play Johnston as a RB or not. It is hard for me to think that we will not play with 4 at the back at Copa, but that is the question... and then we can slot Davies in at LB

I am a big fan of Cornelius getting a chance.  Those he has have been in the centre mostly and he I think he struggled with organizational aspects, so far.  

I have said elsewhere my current setup, might be Cornelius - Miller - Bombito.   

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Also Adekugbe hadn't played again, when I switched off last night.  Having a 2 back there depends a lot on him for me.  Maybe Laryea but is that his natural position?😉.

Ya, the Adekugbe situation is not ideal, doesn't seem to have regained previous form yet.  Also one of the reason's I'm thinking of slotting Davies into LB.  Millar vs Adekugbe is a no brainer at the moment. 

Bottom line, for me, I'm more convinced than ever that Davies needs to be at LB or LW.  Playing him at WB is not helping Canada and forces us to shoehorn other talented players into roles that don't suit them.

Miller is not the organizer you want playing in the middle of two CB's.  Johnston is not a CB.  Our mids don't have the instincts to work with WB's as we've seen Davies get isolated repeatedly.  I don't like the idea of building the formation around Davies, sure he's our best player, but he's not the most important player and fails when trying to do too much.

28 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I have said elsewhere my current setup, might be Cornelius - Miller - Bombito.   

Are you benching Johnston or moving Tajon to winger?

31 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Plus I have watched well-worked 3s work a treat against decent teams recently. 

I have nothing against the back 3, but a coach shouldn't pick a system without it suiting his squad.  All successful implementations I've seen were done with solid CB's, not a patchwork and filling holes with numbers which is what we've been doing all this time.  I don't see the back 3 getting the best out of our best 11.

Just now, costarg said:

Miller is not the organizer you want playing in the middle of two CB's. 

Why not?

He has played the system a lot, he passes well, and is recognized as a leader on the team.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Are you benching Johnston or moving Tajon to winger?

Benching Johnston against good teams. 

23 minutes ago, costarg said:

All successful implementations I've seen were done with solid CB's, not a patchwork and filling holes with numbers which is what we've been doing all this time.  I don't see the back 3 getting the best out of our best 11.

Then honestly you haven't watched enough, again.  I have given you numerous examples of top level managers using fullbacks there for various purposes.  But I am going with Bombito anyway. 

We have done this many times. And honestly, your rules about what "shoe-horning" is changes depending on where you want to play a player. 

But I don't see how you are shoe-horning our best players with wingbacks

Davies (I want him isolated, he can knock balls past people, and there he can do what he does best defensively, break up counter-attacks)

Buchanan has been a mostly wingback/fullback for almost 2 seasons now and is seen as a wingback by one of the top managers in the world, anywhere else and you are technicially playing him out of position.  Switch him and Davies if you want, crossing is not their biggest weapon. 

David and Larin are strikers. (Maybe you sacrifice Larin against the top teams.)

Eustaquio is going play to in the middle in most every formation.

Kone the same. 

Those all fit nicely into a 352.  

Those are our top 5/6 depending on who you play.  Millar isn't there yet, especially offensively compared to the other options, and should be playing wingback if we are not "shoe-horning" (by your defintion - sometimes).  Johnston is a great addition if you are looking for offence. The other players have to prove where there are at for Canada. 

26 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Why not?

He has played the system a lot, he passes well, and is recognized as a leader on the team.

Counting all his positive attributes, he also has glaring negative ones as well. 

Lets call it like it is, for CANMNT, Vitoria was by no means a world beater, he had serious shortcomings, but we needed him there because of his height and he was good at organizing the back, which are the two main things missing in Millers game.  On most other teams, Vitoria would've been pretty easy to dislodge from that role, yet MIller didn't and couldn't. 

Same goes for CFM, his central partner was Camacho, probably the most mentally unbalanced and chaotic central CB I've ever seen.  Yet Miller was never seen as the central replacement there either, in fact it was Waterman who would step in to play the role when Camacho would eliminate himself with red cards.

Playing two taller and quicker guys on either side of him don't make up for the shortcomings.  We need to move away from the patchwork back line and find a stable, well rounded combination.  I don't care if its 2 or 3, as long as its not filling up weaknesses with numbers.  I just don't feel we have those 3 solid CB's yet, so I'd rather go with 2 solid enough guys and put strong proven quality backs on either side.

7 minutes ago, costarg said:

Counting all his positive attributes, he also has glaring negative ones as well. 

Lets call it like it is, for CANMNT, Vitoria was by no means a world beater, he had serious shortcomings, but we needed him there because of his height and he was good at organizing the back, which are the two main things missing in Millers game.  On most other teams, Vitoria would've been pretty easy to dislodge from that role, yet MIller didn't and couldn't. 

Same goes for CFM, his central partner was Camacho, probably the most mentally unbalanced and chaotic central CB I've ever seen.  Yet Miller was never seen as the central replacement there either, in fact it was Waterman who would step in to play the role when Camacho would eliminate himself with red cards.

Playing two taller and quicker guys on either side of him don't make up for the shortcomings.  We need to move away from the patchwork back line and find a stable, well rounded combination.  I don't care if its 2 or 3, as long as its not filling up weaknesses with numbers.  I just don't feel we have those 3 solid CB's yet, so I'd rather go with 2 solid enough guys and put strong proven quality backs on either side.

We don't have 2 solid guys yet, we can soon but you it takes a lot of imagination to say it's happened already.  One has stumbled in the role, very recently, if we are honest.  I think he need a chance as wide centre back at least, with an experienced head beside him.  Bombito was on the pitch for a goal against Guadalope before getting pulled, in 1 of 2 appearance there for us.  Early days, unless you mean Waterman?

I'm not sure what you are seeing from Miller that says he can't organize.  (Remember we were/are playing Johnston with him alot, shifting that lack of height to one side of a 3 makes sense to avoid.) 

7 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We don't have 2 solid guys yet,

Exactly my point, so why take off another solid guy from the 11 to add in a 3rd mediocre CB?  It weakens the 11.

8 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Benching Johnston against good teams. 

In my head, Johnston is by far a better overall player at RB than either Miller or Cornelius are CB's.  So once again, you suggest removing a better player from the 11 to play a system we don't have the players for.

I don't know how else to explain that you're weakening the 11 by insisting on playing 3 CB's.  I'll try with Transfermarkt (i know it isn't the bible) cause I don't know how else to draw it out:

Johnston: 8M

Miller: 3.5M

Cornelius: 2.5m

Although I thoroughly enjoy this strategy discussion, I feel we're surely annoying other guys here.  You make very valid points everywhere else on the field, I just can't agree with you on this one.

Cheers.

42 minutes ago, costarg said:

Exactly my point, so why take off another solid guy from the 11 to add in a 3rd mediocre CB?  It weakens the 11.

In my head, Johnston is by far a better overall player at RB than either Miller or Cornelius are CB's.  So once again, you suggest removing a better player from the 11 to play a system we don't have the players for.

I don't know how else to explain that you're weakening the 11 by insisting on playing 3 CB's.  I'll try with Transfermarkt (i know it isn't the bible) cause I don't know how else to draw it out:

Johnston: 8M

Miller: 3.5M

Cornelius: 2.5m

Although I thoroughly enjoy this strategy discussion, I feel we're surely annoying other guys here.  You make very valid points everywhere else on the field, I just can't agree with you on this one.

Cheers.

Ha. You lost me at Transfermarkt

Always fun.