Ryan Raposo

nolando

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Still not convinced he is a CMNT player with big upside but damn he continues to be consistent for the caps. Another great performance and assist.

No, he's the type of player who'd make the CMNT if we did friendlies for the North American based players only, and even then he'd likely be on the bench. Which is fine.  Nothing wrong with that.

1 hour ago, toontownman said:

Still not convinced he is a CMNT player with big upside but damn he continues to be consistent for the caps. Another great performance and assist.

Ru...sell Tei..Bert you say?

• 3 weeks later...

Crazy that Raposo doesn't have a cap yet. What are the odds he gets a look in a pre-Copa friendly? Doubt he makes the squad, but like Bair and Ugbo recently, it be nice to see guys playing well get a chance. 

14 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Crazy that Raposo doesn't have a cap yet. What are the odds he gets a look in a pre-Copa friendly? Doubt he makes the squad, but like Bair and Ugbo recently, it be nice to see guys playing well get a chance. 

I don’t think it’s that crazy. I’d say there are quite a few MLS squad players that aren’t in contention for a call and he’s one of them. If we had domestic camps I would consider it crazy. I think we could drop every player from our last squad, call a complete B squad and Raposo still wouldn’t be on it.

Edited by CanadaFan123

7 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

I don’t think it’s that crazy. I’d say there are quite a few MLS squad players that aren’t in contention for a call and he’s one of them. If we had domestic camps I would consider it crazy. I think we could drop every player from our last squad, call a complete B squad and Raposo still wouldn’t be on it.

Yeah for sure. I think it's more that it's crazy we don't have domestic camps and as a result playres like Raposo haven't been brought into the fold. He's a bonifide MLS contributor at this point, not always but quite often a starter, yet he's never been close to the Canadian national team.  

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

Yeah for sure. I think it's more that it's crazy we don't have domestic camps and as a result playres like Raposo haven't been brought into the fold. He's a bonifide MLS contributor at this point, not always but quite often a starter, yet he's never been close to the Canadian national team.  

For the Whitecaps he’s contributed more than Laryea (last year) and Adekugbe… a lot of that is due to injuries but still. He’s very reliable and he’s a pretty smart player with decent crossing. He’s just limited physically. Not saying he deserves a call up but maybe knocking the door. He only had 2 assists in 27 appearances in MLS last year but has 2 goals in 5 games this year. The biggest problem is we are so deep when it comes to wide players.

13 minutes ago, gigi riva said:

Raposo is quietly getting better and better each time he enters the field , I think he is due for a CNMT call up  soon . Now how he is used as a player is up to Biello  

He's not, and he shouldn't be. There's a reason he was dropped as soon as a number of players were back. He's a role player, and all teams can use that. But he's at his ceiling.

On 4/2/2024 at 11:24 AM, Watchmen said:

He's not, and he shouldn't be. There's a reason he was dropped as soon as a number of players were back. He's a role player, and all teams can use that. But he's at his ceiling.

A guy who just turned 25 with just over 4 pro seasons under his belt is at his ceiling? I don’t think Raposo will ever be a world class player but he’s still getting better every time I watch him. 

7 hours ago, Craig11rm said:

A guy who just turned 25 with just over 4 pro seasons under his belt is at his ceiling? I don’t think Raposo will ever be a world class player but he’s still getting better every time I watch him. 

Yes, he's at his ceiling. There's a reason as soon as Ahmed was healthy he was the first one dropped to the bench.

He's a role player in MLS. Does what he's asked. Nothing wrong with that.

3 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Yes, he's at his ceiling. There's a reason as soon as Ahmed was healthy he was the first one dropped to the bench.

That’s more about Ahmed being really good and less about Raposo being just a role player. 2 goals + 2 assists in 6 games this season and he’s still getting lots of minutes… he’s a reliable player and it seems like Sartini likes him. 

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

That's where he is at and should continue to forge a good MLS career with that.  Also, a big plus for him is his durability, making him available for selection.  He is a high work rate guy who fits with what the coaching staff wants from the supporting cast.

Edited by BearcatSA

58 minutes ago, Craig11rm said:

That’s more about Ahmed being really good and less about Raposo being just a role player. 2 goals + 2 assists in 6 games this season and he’s still getting lots of minutes… he’s a reliable player and it seems like Sartini likes him. 

He was also incredibly fortunate he didn't concede a penalty at the end vs Portland. He's frequently easily beaten defensively.  He'll sail crosses to no one. I agree, Sartini likes him because he works hard and will play whatever role asked. But this is what he was last year too, and that's fine.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

He was also incredibly fortunate he didn't concede a penalty at the end vs Portland. He's frequently easily beaten defensively.  He'll sail crosses to no one. I agree, Sartini likes him because he works hard and will play whatever role asked. But this is what he was last year too, and that's fine.

He's a squad guy.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

He’s like Rusty, works really hard to get to where he should have been in the first place. Arrives just in time to see the other team move on, rinse and repeat. Offensively, I admit he can drop in a nice cross. 

40 minutes ago, Soro17 said:

He’s like Rusty, works really hard to get to where he should have been in the first place. Arrives just in time to see the other team move on, rinse and repeat. Offensively, I admit he can drop in a nice cross. 

Yeah, I think he's overall better than Teibert but he's basically the same. He'll likely be a club lifer as well. He doesn't complain about playing time, just goes out and tries to do the job he's asked to do, and that job can change regularly depending on injuries/international call ups.

I like Raposo a lot, and he will still grow as a player, but my guess is that his ceiling will be journeyman MLSer.  A quality squad player, affordable, reliable, hardworking. Yeah, much like Rusty and roughly half the players in the league, maybe more. He continues to improve, but I'm not seeing the qualities that suggest a quantum leap is possible. Compare him to Ahmed in this regard and you'll get what I'm saying. 

Now, if he was as fast as Shaffa-laffa-ding-dong or Tajon or Bombito, then maybe we'd be singing a different tune. Speed buys you a lot of bonus points!