Ryan Raposo

nolando

Just now, Shway said:

Sigh….a #10, to a winger, to a wingback, to a fullback, to the full bench.

This was suppose to be his breakout year for me. 

Javain Brown, Triston Blackmon, and Jillian Gressell could all play that position.

Looks like its shaping up to be a bad year for Canadians at the 3 Canadian MLS clubs.

• 1 month later...
10 minutes ago, narduch said:

He played great yesterday but he is too short to play as a LB full time.

Not sure where this height business comes from, some of the greatest backs on the world have been short to very short. 

Depends how you'd play, like if your DM is dropping back into the middle of the defense, you need a feisty Phillip Lahm, Roberto Carlos, at Barça we had Albert Ferrer, Sergi Barjuan, Jordi Alba, and a certain guy we can't name because of his current sex crime situation.

11 minutes ago, narduch said:

He played great yesterday but he is too short to play as a LB full time.

Yeah, honestly in person I didn't think he looked that good. Hesitant on his assignment while defending and a lot of balls seeming to go over his head. They got away with it because it was a tired Honduran side, but I thought he was getting beaten quite a bit early and it wouldn't work against MLS opposition. I'd much rather try Ahmed there or rotate Gutierrez back in when he's healthy (sounds like he's close).

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Not sure where this height business comes from, some of the greatest backs on the world have been short to very short. 

Depends how you'd play, like if your DM is dropping back into the middle of the defense, you need a feisty Phillip Lahm, Roberto Carlos, at Barça we had Albert Ferrer, Sergi Barjuan, Jordi Alba, and a certain guy we can't name because of his current sex crime situation.

Ok. Those are some really good examples.

I just think that if you are facing an opponent that likes to cross a lot from the wings it could end up badly. When watching the height difference from the back line was very noticeable.

This issue of height is a problem with the Whitecaps in general moreso than Raposo. Teams can accommodate undersized players, but you need to make up for it in the aggregate. The ‘Caps are undersized just about everywhere on the field though.  If you take a look at what could be considered Vanni’s ideal starting lineup:

Cordova (1.88m)

Gauld (1.65m) Dajome (1.72m)

Schöpf (1.78m) Cubas (1.69m) Gressel (1.85m)

Martins (1.76m) Laborda (1.82m) Ranko (1.90m) Brown (1.80m)

Takaoka (1.80m)

It’s one of the biggest impediments to Raposo making the left back position work for him in Vancouver and it’s a big reason why Baldisimo didn’t get brought back. 

All that said, Martins is only 2 inches taller than Raposo, has looked equally suspect in the air, and has offered very little on either side of the ball. He also doesn’t have the legs to be effective past 65 minutes.

Edited by footballfreak

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

For the record, everyone here complains about the Whitecaps poor development pathway for Canadian players, but I'm going to start thinking of it as the Whitecaps being highly specialized in developing LB/LWBs for Canada: Davies, Adekugbe, Raposo, Gutierrez, Ahmed. You're welcome Canada! 😜

The Vancouver Left Backs FC

13 hours ago, narduch said:

Ok. Those are some really good examples.

I just think that if you are facing an opponent that likes to cross a lot from the wings it could end up badly. When watching the height difference from the back line was very noticeable.

Well I guess it depends on the model, and yes, there are taller and more athletic outside backs coming through. At Barcelona we developed Miranda at Betis, who played with Ballou the entire time, he's 6'1". Maybe the new standard would be Hakimi at 5'11". 

The point is that if you have possession you push the outside backs up high to stretch the pitch, they become mids and then wingers, and if you lose it your DM drops back into the centre between the CBs to cover for what you are talking about.

At Whitecaps the most consistent feature I have seen for years is everyone is late to defensive coverage, so that doesn't help either.

I prefer LBs to be naturally left footed players.  They can provide an overlapping crossing threat and by going wide they make more space for the attacking players in front of them. 

I think if you want Raposo at fullback, have him at RB on his natural right foot.  He has developed a dangerous outswinging cross which could be used to good effect out wide there.  But equally important, have Gauld play inverted on his stronger left foot on the right wing in front of the overlapping Raposo (or Brown or Blackmon), the way Russell does in more of an inverted winger role at SKC (or what Vela used to be when he first started at LAFC or even DeRo on the left in his MLS heyday):  they start fairly wide but cut inland to make plays on the stronger inside foot, aided by an overlapping fullback threat's off the ball wide runs.

Ahmed is naturally left footed, isn't he?

Edited by BearcatSA

• 6 months later...

In support of @Obinna's opinion, Raposo really deserves a lot more attention and credit for the job he has done for the Caps this year.  When names from the other two Canadian MLS teams get thrown around quickly as being guys who should be on the NT radar, he simply does the job he is asked to do out there, with some versatility to go with it.  Massive props, Ryan.

23 minutes ago, toontownman said:

He was unlucky not to have 1 if not 2 goals today. Always works hard. Has turned into not only a really valuable squad player but reliable starter when called. Definitely done much better than I gave him credit for.

He knows what he can and can't do and executes the game plan, simple as that. And, as you said, he works hard with no quit:  there was one play in the first half where he had a giveaway deep to Bernadeschi but never stopped in his recovery pursuit and eventually helped get possession back.  Contrast that with Insigne who, after two poor giveaways with his team losing 2-1 late, just quit on both plays.  Embarassing from a DP on his wages.

I temper my assessment of Raposo's offensive contributions this evening  somewhat because this was/is a terrible back four and they can make almost anyone look like a ten figure value transfer target.  But that doesn't take away anything from his key contribtions during this stretch.