Ryan Raposo

nolando

7 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I don't think he had a poor game yesterday, but I think at best he's still a squad player.  He's the new Teibert (albeit with a lot more offense), in that he'll be shifted around a lot and if he's your permanent starter in a position then you're not very good.

He has had a really good stretch here, notably after the arrival of guys who would be taking his job.  I just wanted to acknowledge that he is earning his place as a contributor.  Get him into a Poutine camp and see how he stacks up against the other prospects who regularly get their tires inflated by posters here.

On a related note, Teibert saw the field last night and, as expected, got the captain's armband but I think he was actually replacing Gauld this time.

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

He has had a really good stretch here, notably after the arrival of guys who would be taking his job.  I just wanted to acknowledge that he is earning his place as a contributor.  Get him into a Poutine camp and see how he stacks up against the other prospects who regularly get their tires inflated by posters here.

On a related note, Teibert saw the field last night and, as expected, got the captain's armband but I think he was actually replacing Gauld this time.

If there was a North America focused camp, then by all means call him in.  And I will say that I don't think the formation the Vanni has the Whitecaps playing really suits him.  I don't think he's a wing back, but there's not really another spot for him otherwise.

I think we've seen more Teibert/Gauld switches in recent times to avoid any direct controversy over it.

4 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

If there was a North America focused camp, then by all means call him in.  And I will say that I don't think the formation the Vanni has the Whitecaps playing really suits him.  I don't think he's a wing back, but there's not really another spot for him otherwise.

I think we've seen more Teibert/Gauld switches in recent times to avoid any direct controversy over it.

I stand corrected:  Gauld didn't sub out. He just went to the side line and gave him the armband directly.

Not an issue for the team but it just seems odds.  However, it does speak volumes about the Scot's BIG TEAM, little me approach.  

28 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I stand corrected:  Gauld didn't sub out. He just went to the side line and gave him the armband directly.

Not an issue for the team but it just seems odds.  However, it does speak volumes about the Scot's BIG TEAM, little me approach.  

Yeah, it's ridiculous.

• 3 months later...
35 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Wow. Hugely interesting experience for him if true.

The People's Republic of China 🇨🇳 : NO DUAL CITIZENSHIP*

*(unless we really want you for athletic reasons) ;)

Before we all get political here , not a bad place to play and great way to experience China an incredibly advanced country now in many ways. The league is not where it was a few years ago but probably close at a level to MLS I would say? I’m assuming he would be going to a team in their top tier . In terms of making the Chinese national team , I think he could play with them they are not that highly ranked these days .

I recall a few years ago him being interviewed and saying he wants to play for Canada but would be open to playing for another national team, in this case China.

I got the sense it wasn't his first choice but what more can he do at this point?

He's played regularly for a good MLS team, had a good showing with the u23 team, which he has now aged out from. He'll probably get paid a lot more and get a shot at international football. Can't knock him to much if that's how it played out, but again we need to have more games so guys like this don't leak out from the pool. It's far from a death knell, but all these little defects will ultimately add up in the long run.

We are out own worst enemy sometimes.

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Before we all get political here , not a bad place to play and great way to experience China an incredibly advanced country now in many ways. 

I agree. If I were him I would probably go for it.

I just also think it's funny that they are very strictly against dual-citizenship until suddenly they make a exception, usually for athletes it seems.

5 hours ago, SoccMan said:

Before we all get political here , not a bad place to play and great way to experience China an incredibly advanced country now in many ways. The league is not where it was a few years ago but probably close at a level to MLS I would say? I’m assuming he would be going to a team in their top tier . In terms of making the Chinese national team , I think he could play with them they are not that highly ranked these days .

I’m not an MLS fanboy but it’s definitely well below MLS standard. We’re talking about a league where the vast majority of players are Chinese and given that they need to poach a Canadian C team player the domestic level is obviously very weak. How is it even possible that countries like China and India can’t produce players? And sure there have been a few decent Chinese players but yeah… just imagine we had a population even half that size and had our player pool quadrupled - we’d be insane.  

On 1/16/2024 at 1:21 PM, MauditYvon said:

If that’s his move I can’t argue, China + chinese passport would be good football, life and money opportunities.

I mean, money sure. Definitely not good football. Life could go either way. 

Edit: In VWFC/China news, Long Tan came on as a sub for China in the AFC Cup. Imagine dumping billions into the sport and you’re bringing on a 35 year old former USL player hoping to break a deadlock against Lebanon in 2024.

Edited by CanadaFan123

• 1 month later...

Scored late in the half to tie it up 1-1 against Charlotte.  A bit lucky on the goal as the Charlotte keeper got caught cheating and Raposo’s shot trickled in beside him.  It looked like Raposo did also have a giveaway on a back heel flick that directly lead Charlotte’s goal.

Edited by Corazon

4 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Scored late in the half to tie it up 1-1 against Charlotte.  A bit lucky on the goal as the Charlotte keeper got caught cheating and Raposo’s header trickled in beside him.  It looked like Raposo did also have a giveaway on a back heel flick that directly lead Charlotte’s goal.

26 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Scored late in the half to tie it up 1-1 against Charlotte.  A bit lucky on the goal as the Charlotte keeper got caught cheating and Raposo’s header trickled in beside him.  It looked like Raposo did also have a giveaway on a back heel flick that directly lead Charlotte’s goal.

It wasn’t a header. He did a great job selling the cross and going short side - flubbed it a bit as his shape was off trying to sell the cross.

• 2 weeks later...