HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

Roster Building

Released  16  Retired 1

Returning  6 (Garcia, Rampersad, Oxner, De Carolis, N'Sa, Firth)

In  5   (Sissoko, Kreim, Sanoh, Schaale, Riggi)   

Draft (Bent, Ruby)

Open Roster Spots:  10 to 12 

U21:  2 to 3 

International: 3

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://canpl.ca/article/matthew-arnone-andre-bona-highlight-hfxs-16-player-released-list

Suprising that some of last season's other strugglers haven't been as ruthless as this.

I thought Bona looked impressive in the Voyageur Cup game I saw in Ottawa, surprised he was cut.  That is a massive roster rebuild, they must  have some players lined up who are an upgrade over those released.  In his interview on From Aways podcast, Martin did say that they were bringing back 6 to 7 players from last year's team.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

https://canpl.ca/article/matthew-arnone-andre-bona-highlight-hfxs-16-player-released-list

Suprising that some of last season's other strugglers haven't been as ruthless as this.

Big roster overhauls can often result in teams just staying on the mediocrity treadmill though.  Has to be some sense of continuity and building.  I would have thought keeping a few more key pieces like Kourouma and Bona would have been useful and then you can focus on upgrades in a few key areas.  Hard to upgrade too many positions on a salary cap.  Useful players are useful players, you replace useful known quantities with unknown quantities you may very well end up with downgrades.  

Such an advantage out of the gate too for teams who can return most of their core and build on last year's chemistry.

Halifax will be viewed a lot more favourably by players and agents after a season of 6000+ crowds, so they should be able to upgrade significantly. There will be Canadian players available this time who were under contract elsewhere last time around.

They messed up last year by signing players sooner than they really needed to and hence missed out on late cuts elsewhere. Also important to bear in mind that games are only the visible tip of the iceberg and some players who impressed may have been a cancer in locker room terms meaning that the chemistry needs to be changed.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

The moves that have taken place I believe send a message to Hart that he needs to get results in 2020 or he will pay the price.

Of the recent set of departures, the ones I am surprised at are Arnone, Bona, Kourouma, Perea, and Hocine.  Arnone was the supporters' player of the year and looked great after an initial bad patch, Bona was a very competent defender and I think this was just as surprising as Arnone (still remember the headed goal against Ottawa that was controversially disallowed).  Hocine deserved a better fate due to injuries, the season ending home game against Pacific, I thought he looked good, but maybe wages were an issue.

Kourouma had flashes of brilliance, but there were other games he kind of drifted away and I'll always like Perea (the guy was money from the penalty spot) but he was hurt quite a bit and the goal return was low, so I guess I can see where Hart was coming from in that situation.

Edited by Terry_Canuck

On 12/19/2019 at 6:58 AM, Ansem said:

Has he said anything about his time with Wanderers?  All he said here in Japanese is, "I have signed a contract with Oklahoma Energy FC.  I appreciate the chance to play professionally next year, and I would like to show that I am improving.  I'll do my best." so there's nothing there.

Edited by vancanman

2 hours ago, vancanman said:

Has he said anything about his time with Wanderers?  All he said here in Japanese is, "I have signed a contract with Oklahoma Energy FC.  I appreciate the chance to play professionally next year, and I would like to show that I am improving.  I'll do my best." so there's nothing there.

He said it pretty early on. 

I got all kinds of grief on here for mentioning Yann Fillion in the Players you expect to see in CPL thread back in March:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75116-players-you-expect-to-see-in-the-cpl/?do=findComment&comment=824021

Suspect we'll see him in CanPL eventually once his FC Zurich contract expires. The grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence if you are playing for a club like Ekenäs IF in the Finnish second tier.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot