HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

17 hours ago, toontownman said:

Very nice work. 

Edit: Also another reason to jettison a bad attitude Langwa if this was lined up. Interested to see where Zoom ends up. Valour seems like a nice spot. 

Do you have something against tables in Winnipeg? Murrell and Langwa….furniture, watch out!

Edited by HfxCeltic
words

So we now have two full-fledged internationals in Garcia and Marshall.  Hopefully he can produce the goods and give the Wanderers a more dependable second option to share in the goals as we need to improve our paltry return of just 21 goals last season.

I still wonder if Arnone and Bona's demands were too great as I question if Restrepo is an actual upgrade from these two guys.

At least things have not been dull down here since the CPL season ended.  

With respect to the parking complex, the club are a bit irritated that the Municipality has not consulted them as they are on municipal land.  Cue the back and forth between the city and the province on who should have contacted them.

The concern I believe focuses on the fact that construction will take close to a year and potentially affect game-day operations at the Wanderers Grounds in 2020.  Parking is difficult around that area and with this project all but likely to occur it will make things more awkward for supporters.

I do admit that the parkade is necessary though.

Chad Impact:

The stadium is a contentious issue in Halifax at the moment.  I believe Haligonians are about 60/40 against a stadium at the moment, but the Mayor is in favour of it and has been relatively quiet on the issue for the last few weeks.

I'll be controversial and say that the issue should be put to a plebiscite in this fall's municipal election as opposed to the council itself, but I don't see that happening.  A defeat on any sort of stadium plan would be a kick in the teeth to the mayor's 'legacy'.

I can only assume a stadium would be for football and soccer (there won't be 2 new stadiums with public money) but the new site has not been put forward, so we'll have to see.  Truthfully, I hope the Wanderers stay where they are as there is something special about the place and I truly believe it provides the club with a competitive advantage.  In the end, I do think a capacity of 10,000 max is sufficient.

Cheers,

Terry

Edited by Terry_Canuck

15 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

Chad Impact:

The stadium is a contentious issue in Halifax at the moment.  I believe Haligonians are about 60/40 against a stadium at the moment, but the Mayor is in favour of it and has been relatively quiet on the issue for the last few weeks.

I'll be controversial and say that the issue should be put to a plebiscite in this fall's municipal election as opposed to the council itself, but I don't see that happening.  A defeat on any sort of stadium plan would be a kick in the teeth to the mayor's 'legacy'.

I can only assume a stadium would be for football and soccer (there won't be 2 new stadiums with public money) but the new site has not been put forward, so we'll have to see.  Truthfully, I hope the Wanderers stay where they are as there is something special about the place and I truly believe it provides the club with a competitive advantage.  In the end, I do think a capacity of 10,000 max is sufficient.

Cheers,

Terry

The stadium location definitely does seem special. 

HFX's location is incredible, their support is incredible and the fact they have two internationals on decent NTs aged 23 and 21 is incredible.

The stadium being affected is a big threat as everything is in place to make this a community cornerstone for years to come.  This is happening too early in their history and it may affect them.  Hopefully the fans/community and even Lancers can rally together to protect these culturally significant projects.  

There is nothing in HFX like the Wanderers.  But maybe some weasel politicians are thinking that if they strong arm the Wanderers out of the green space the public, together with CFL backers, will come together and a stadium will be inevitable.  This would be good for a CFL team but bad news for the Wanderers (imo).

21 hours ago, Terry_Canuck said:

With respect to the parking complex, the club are a bit irritated that the Municipality has not consulted them as they are on municipal land.  Cue the back and forth between the city and the province on who should have contacted them.

The concern I believe focuses on the fact that construction will take close to a year and potentially affect game-day operations at the Wanderers Grounds in 2020.  Parking is difficult around that area and with this project all but likely to occur it will make things more awkward for supporters.

I do admit that the parkade is necessary though.

HRM, like any municipal government, can at times be difficult to work with. I also agree that parking will be a necessary component of the future expansion of the Halifax Infirmary. However, I do think that the Province is coming off as heavy handed in this process. They have just issued a tender for a project over a portion of land that they do not yet owned and for which they haven't been given license over. They know that they have the upper hand in this negotiation as any provincial government in Canada has the power to expropriate municipal lands. From media reports, an HRM Councillor has stated that HRM staff were forced to sign non-disclosure agreements before any discussion began. Therefore, they couldn't inform the Wanderers or the Bengal Lancers. In any event, NDA or not, the Province is the level of government that wants to do the taking in this case and they should have reached out to the Wanderers and the Bengal Lancers. But they didn't. Now this may impact both operations. If the parkade and heating plant construction proceeds, which I have no doubt it will, the Museum of Natural History will be boxed in and completely overwhelmed by the new infrastructure. So not only will the Wanderers and the Bengal Lancers be impacted, but also the Museum. Instead of impacting three good organizations, I would suggest that since the Museum is under the ownership of the Province, the Museum is getting close to 40 years old, it is dated, and too small for the growing HRM, then I believe that the Museum should be temporarily relocated, a new Museum be built, and the site vacated by the Museum be used for the new parkade. This way, the Wanderers and Bengal Lancers won't be impacted, and the Museum will be allowed to modernize and expand in a better location.

Seeing Vasco da Gama vs Oriente Petrolero last night, Juan Diego Gutierrez was lively. Much better than at HFX where he was forced to sit deep and just go rounds with the ball with no impact. Just proves further to me that Stephen Hart is absolutely clueless. With the team he had he should have fought for honours, yet they finished last (or second last I dont remember).

1 hour ago, Ingham said:

Seeing Vasco da Gama vs Oriente Petrolero last night, Juan Diego Gutierrez was lively. Much better than at HFX where he was forced to sit deep and just go rounds with the ball with no impact. Just proves further to me that Stephen Hart is absolutely clueless. With the team he had he should have fought for honours, yet they finished last (or second last I dont remember).

Sounds like you're the absolutely clueless one considering Gutierrez almost exclusively played on the wing for Halifax and none of the things you described happened. Gutierrez was poor early in the season because he was hobbled by a couple of injuries, but he was excellent later on in the year after he managed to get match fit. His poor performances evidently had nothing to do with Hart.

Halifax had to work with a hodge-podge of players and obviously had no hope of competing with Cavalry and Forge for the title. Hart also didn't have any control over numerous long-term injuries and terrible planning for away trip accommodations, which were the real reasons for Wanderers' last-place finish (which was still only 6 points behind 3rd overall).

Go post your character assassination garbage somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Sounds like you're the absolutely clueless one considering Gutierrez almost exclusively played on the wing for Halifax

Maybe because he's naturally a winger and not a number 10...

I've known about Gutierrez since he joined Universitario and he's never been a number 10, so I don't know where you get this idea that him playing as a winger was a bad thing.

Edited by Ingham

On 2/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, Ingham said:

Maybe because he's naturally a winger and not a number 10...

I've known about Gutierrez since he joined Universitario and he's never been a number 10, so I don't know where you get this idea that him playing as a winger was a bad thing.

He never played as a 10 for Wanderers and was almost exclusively used on the right wing in a front 3. Zem is right - he struggled with injury at the beginning of the year and I'm sure that, coupled with adjustments to a new country/weather/playing style, severely affected his form. He really found his form in the latter half of the season when he was fully recovered and appeared to have acclimated to his new environment. His utilization by Hart never changed. I was actually hoping he would return given his form the last 2 months of the season.