Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

I got all kinds of grief on here for mentioning Yann Fillion in the Players you expect to see in CPL thread back in March:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/75116-players-you-expect-to-see-in-the-cpl/?do=findComment&comment=824021

Suspect we'll see him in CanPL eventually once his FC Zurich contract expires. The grass isn't greener on the other side of the fence if you are playing for a club like Ekenäs IF in the Finnish second tier.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

53 minutes ago, toontownman said:

Edit: I like the move from the Halifax perspective.

Beland-Goyette and Bustos are the two players I really did not want Valour to lose, so yeah. After a decent start, LBG blossomed into Valour's best player (IMHO).

Great signing for HFX and good luck to both.

https://www.iriefm.net/alex-marshall-among-a-number-of-local-players-heading-off-to-the-canadian-premier-league/

"National  Striker  Alex  Marshall  of  Premier  League  Club  Cavalier  is  reported  to  be  among  a  number  of  local  players  heading  off  to  the  Canadian  Premier  League  during  the  January  transfer  window.

Marshall  is  reported  to  be  heading  to  the  Halifax  wanderers  club  which  finished  at  the  bottom  of  the  table  in the  inaugural  season  of  the  league  last  year."

36 minutes ago, Buchta said:

https://www.iriefm.net/alex-marshall-among-a-number-of-local-players-heading-off-to-the-canadian-premier-league/

"National  Striker  Alex  Marshall  of  Premier  League  Club  Cavalier  is  reported  to  be  among  a  number  of  local  players  heading  off  to  the  Canadian  Premier  League  during  the  January  transfer  window.

Marshall  is  reported  to  be  heading  to  the  Halifax  wanderers  club  which  finished  at  the  bottom  of  the  table  in the  inaugural  season  of  the  league  last  year."

That would be a pretty great signing, he's a current Jamaican international with 10 caps and played in nations league in the fall.

1 hour ago, Buchta said:

lol, Jack (big Football Manager youtuber that did a series on FCE last year) had signed Alex Marshall, who became a key player. Looks like HFX scouts are watching FM livestreamers for inspiration. But ya, he's one of the higher rated players in the Jamaican Premier League in FM with a lot of pace.

1 hour ago, Buchta said:

This guy I assume?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alex_Marshall_(footballer)

Fits the young international players going through a secret draft info.

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

lol, Jack (big Football Manager youtuber that did a series on FCE last year) had signed Alex Marshall, who became a key player. Looks like HFX scouts are watching FM livestreamers for inspiration. But ya, he's one of the higher rated players in the Jamaican Premier League in FM with a lot of pace.

I mean, he's also one of the most highly-rated players in the JPL in real life. It's not like a guy with 10 caps for Jamaica is some obscure player you never would have heard of if you didn't play FM, you would also hear about him if you talked to any scout or manager in Jamaica or looked at any recent Jamaican MNT rosters.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

I mean, he's also one of the most highly-rated players in the JPL in real life. It's not like a guy with 10 caps for Jamaica is some obscure player you never would have heard of if you didn't play FM, you would also hear about him if you talked to any scout or manager in Jamaica or looked at any recent Jamaican MNT rosters.

I was joking...

Posted (edited)

Excellent article on the CPL website:

Béland-Goyette’s switch from Valour FC to HFX Wanderers may come as a bit of a shock to the Winnipeg club faithful, as the French-Canadian midfielder played a pivotal role in Rob Gale’s lineup in 2019. But, is Gale’s loss really Hart’s gain in this circumstance?

(Spoiler: the conclusion is "yes"!)

https://canpl.ca/article/by-the-numbers-does-beland-goyette-drastically-improve-hfx-midfield?tre=Cd79eJju_oQAZW82zW-K-Q==

Edited by Lofty

Posted (edited)

Another excellent article!

“There were a lot of factors,” Béland-Goyette told CanPL.ca, when asked about his decision to swap Valour for HFX. “The first was that I was out of contract at the end of last year, so it was very important for me to consider all my options. Fortunately for me, I had a good season and played really well, and played a lot (last season), so there was interest from Halifax.

https://canpl.ca/article/a-lot-of-factors-beland-goyette-bids-valour-well-after-making-switch-to-attractive-hfx

Edited by Lofty

The decision to move to Halifax would be a very easy choice, especially if the money was better.  Nothing against Winnipeg, it's just that Halifax really has something special.  Halifax has added some interesting pieces so far.

Also, great that there is free agency and players aren't restricted from signing with other clubs when their deal is up.

1 hour ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The decision to move to Halifax would be a very easy choice, especially if the money was better.  Nothing against Winnipeg, it's just that Halifax really has something special.  Halifax has added some interesting pieces so far.

Also, great that there is free agency and players aren't restricted from signing with other clubs when their deal is up.

Not to mention that LBG, being from Quebec doesn't have any connection to any of the existing teams. Plus there are quite a few Quebecois players on Halifax which I am sure factors in

On 12/18/2019 at 7:09 PM, Terry_Canuck said:

The moves that have taken place I believe send a message to Hart that he needs to get results in 2020 or he will pay the price.

Of the recent set of departures, the ones I am surprised at are Arnone, Bona, Kourouma, Perea, and Hocine.  Arnone was the supporters' player of the year and looked great after an initial bad patch, Bona was a very competent defender and I think this was just as surprising as Arnone (still remember the headed goal against Ottawa that was controversially disallowed).  Hocine deserved a better fate due to injuries, the season ending home game against Pacific, I thought he looked good, but maybe wages were an issue.

Kourouma had flashes of brilliance, but there were other games he kind of drifted away and I'll always like Perea (the guy was money from the penalty spot) but he was hurt quite a bit and the goal return was low, so I guess I can see where Hart was coming from in that situation.

I’m surprised Skublak didn’t resign. Wasn’t he one of your better players?