Sign in to follow this  
MM3/MM2/MM

HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

Seeing Vasco da Gama vs Oriente Petrolero last night, Juan Diego Gutierrez was lively. Much better than at HFX where he was forced to sit deep and just go rounds with the ball with no impact. Just proves further to me that Stephen Hart is absolutely clueless. With the team he had he should have fought for honours, yet they finished last (or second last I dont remember).

1 hour ago, Ingham said:

Seeing Vasco da Gama vs Oriente Petrolero last night, Juan Diego Gutierrez was lively. Much better than at HFX where he was forced to sit deep and just go rounds with the ball with no impact. Just proves further to me that Stephen Hart is absolutely clueless. With the team he had he should have fought for honours, yet they finished last (or second last I dont remember).

Sounds like you're the absolutely clueless one considering Gutierrez almost exclusively played on the wing for Halifax and none of the things you described happened. Gutierrez was poor early in the season because he was hobbled by a couple of injuries, but he was excellent later on in the year after he managed to get match fit. His poor performances evidently had nothing to do with Hart.

Halifax had to work with a hodge-podge of players and obviously had no hope of competing with Cavalry and Forge for the title. Hart also didn't have any control over numerous long-term injuries and terrible planning for away trip accommodations, which were the real reasons for Wanderers' last-place finish (which was still only 6 points behind 3rd overall).

Go post your character assassination garbage somewhere else.

1 hour ago, Zem said:

Sounds like you're the absolutely clueless one considering Gutierrez almost exclusively played on the wing for Halifax

Maybe because he's naturally a winger and not a number 10...

I've known about Gutierrez since he joined Universitario and he's never been a number 10, so I don't know where you get this idea that him playing as a winger was a bad thing.

Edited by Ingham

On 2/6/2020 at 8:10 PM, Ingham said:

Maybe because he's naturally a winger and not a number 10...

I've known about Gutierrez since he joined Universitario and he's never been a number 10, so I don't know where you get this idea that him playing as a winger was a bad thing.

He never played as a 10 for Wanderers and was almost exclusively used on the right wing in a front 3. Zem is right - he struggled with injury at the beginning of the year and I'm sure that, coupled with adjustments to a new country/weather/playing style, severely affected his form. He really found his form in the latter half of the season when he was fully recovered and appeared to have acclimated to his new environment. His utilization by Hart never changed. I was actually hoping he would return given his form the last 2 months of the season.

5 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

He never played as a 10 for Wanderers and was almost exclusively used on the right wing in a front 3. Zem is right - he struggled with injury at the beginning of the year and I'm sure that, coupled with adjustments to a new country/weather/playing style, severely affected his form. He really found his form in the latter half of the season when he was fully recovered and appeared to have acclimated to his new environment. His utilization by Hart never changed. I was actually hoping he would return given his form the last 2 months of the season.

When he signed, I had some people ask me if he would be the best number 10 in the league.

Doesn't change that Hart is a pretty terrible manager in my eyes.

Edited by Ingham

15 hours ago, Ingham said:

When he signed, I had some people ask me if he would be the best number 10 in the league.

Doesn't change that Hart is a pretty terrible manager in my eyes.

Agree on the #10 misunderstanding at the beginning. Folks were so infatuated with the Perea-Guti link that most assumed he would slot into a #10 and just feed Perea all season. That clearly wasn't the case.

Agree-to-disagree on Hart.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:43 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Him and Schaale could be the best CB combo in the league.  HFX is putting together a good team and still getting little respect.  They have a good attack and defence by CPL standards.  

The attacking mid group looks pretty solid with Riggi, Marshall, Bent and Kreim. Still hoping they bring in an established #9. Garcia is a frustrating finisher and I feel his best position is playing underneath. Sanoh could be a gem but he’s unproven.