HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

5 hours ago, HfxCeltic said:

He never played as a 10 for Wanderers and was almost exclusively used on the right wing in a front 3. Zem is right - he struggled with injury at the beginning of the year and I'm sure that, coupled with adjustments to a new country/weather/playing style, severely affected his form. He really found his form in the latter half of the season when he was fully recovered and appeared to have acclimated to his new environment. His utilization by Hart never changed. I was actually hoping he would return given his form the last 2 months of the season.

When he signed, I had some people ask me if he would be the best number 10 in the league.

Doesn't change that Hart is a pretty terrible manager in my eyes.

Edited by Ingham

15 hours ago, Ingham said:

When he signed, I had some people ask me if he would be the best number 10 in the league.

Doesn't change that Hart is a pretty terrible manager in my eyes.

Agree on the #10 misunderstanding at the beginning. Folks were so infatuated with the Perea-Guti link that most assumed he would slot into a #10 and just feed Perea all season. That clearly wasn't the case.

Agree-to-disagree on Hart.

On 2/11/2020 at 12:43 PM, CanadaFan123 said:

Him and Schaale could be the best CB combo in the league.  HFX is putting together a good team and still getting little respect.  They have a good attack and defence by CPL standards.  

The attacking mid group looks pretty solid with Riggi, Marshall, Bent and Kreim. Still hoping they bring in an established #9. Garcia is a frustrating finisher and I feel his best position is playing underneath. Sanoh could be a gem but he’s unproven.

On 2/18/2020 at 7:00 PM, Mikmacdo said:

Was Arnone not good last year? Y9 fan checking in. 

Based on what's been said, it sounds like we just weren't willing to pay him what he wanted. Realistically, he probably didn't mind too much (and maybe had an inflated ask because of it) because part of him had a yearning to be playing for his "hometown club". I think him moving to York probably makes sense in that context. 

That said, that's all speculation based on the comments about him being excited to be in York and the comments about not being able to come to terms with the office. As a Y9 fan, you should be pleased with the pickup. 

It's also interesting to note the make up of the squad (presuming these are the signings).

Overall Roster (17 signed, 2 rumored, 2 Usport Trialist = 21) 23 Max.

• CB - Schaale, Santos, Nsa, Geffrard,
  • RB - Restrepo, Nsa
  • LB - Santos, De Carolis, Kinumbe
  • CM - Rampersad, Sissoko, LBG, Kreim, Marshall, Firth
  • W - De Carolis, Marshall, Kreim, Garcia, Riggi, Bent
  • F - Morelli, Garcia, Sanoh, Bent

International Spots

• 6/7 International spots are taken (Schaale, Marshall, Garcia, Rampersad, Santos, Morelli)
  • However, it's possible that Schaale is close to getting a permanent residence.

U-21 Players

• Only 1 player (Scott Firth) is under 21.  Which means we need 2 more u-21 signings.
  • Although I read the signing article of Kinumbe and it says he's U 21 - maybe I don't know the proper cut off date.
  • If that is the case then Nsa also qualifies.
  • I dare to speculate that Oscar Marshall (NS Native/2019 Trialist/ Former U17 Impact Academy) will get another look.
  • Jake Ruby (draft pick) is of U-21 age and domestic. 

4 minutes ago, DigzTFC said:

U-21 Players

• Only 1 player (Scott Firth) is under 21.  Which means we need 2 more u-21 signings.
  • Although I read the signing article of Kinumbe and it says he's U 21 - maybe I don't know the proper cut off date.

Players born 1999 or later are U-21s this season

11 minutes ago, Zem said:

Players born 1999 or later are U-21s this season

Thank you, so Firth, Nsa and Kinumbe are our 3 U-21s then. 

After tomorrows signing, I think we will see 1 more international forward.

And 1 Domestic RB presuming Cory Bent makes the team.

Did any team last team last year carry a 3rd keeper?

10 hours ago, DigzTFC said:

Thank you, so Firth, Nsa and Kinumbe are our 3 U-21s then. 

After tomorrows signing, I think we will see 1 more international forward.

And 1 Domestic RB presuming Cory Bent makes the team.

Did any team last team last year carry a 3rd keeper?

Pacific brought up a keeper from the Victoria Highlanders PDL club (US2), I am not sure if he got any minutes though. He was on the bench when Village was injured.

I think this is the ideal set-up, to have a local keeper already in your sights, perhaps have him train a few days--each should have a "David Ayres" if you like. I suppose as well there should be a set fee to pay for a player in these situations.

25 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Call-up keepers in 2019:

Forge: Baj Mann, Luke Iacobellis,  Valour: Svytik Artemenko, Cavalry: Jordan Santiago  FCE: Chris Ezoua  Pacific: Tyrone Venhola, Sachdev Grewal

Zero minutes played, Artemenko was on the bench for 14 games.

Artemenko did the preseason with Valour, he said in an interview he was loaned to WSA Winnipeg by Valour.

HFX once played a game with only one keeper on the game sheet when JMW was suspended

"The signings complete the Wanderers 2020 squad. There will now be 21 players at the Wanderers training camp in March, including the club’s two University draft picks, striker Cory Bent and defender Jake Ruby."

https://hfxwanderersfc.canpl.ca/article/wanderers-bring-samba-style-to-halifax-with-brazilian-pair-joao-morelli-and-eriks-santos

I think this quote is misleading.  HFX carried 23 players last year.]

Most likely, with single table format they want flexibility to bring an international goalscorer later on.

Stylistically, I'm thinking a 4-3-3 or 4-4-2 diamond.  I thought Morelli was a forward not an attacking midfield.

We are very light at the CF position and need some reinforcements at RB.