HFX Wanderers Season Thread 2020

Happy with Ox coming back, although it was a really obvious move. 

unhappy with Simmons and Iida, can understand Skubie although I liked him and thought he could come in as a sub to kill games off. 

Super disapointed in Langwa, was one of my favourite players and has a ton of potential.... But if the rumours about his attitude are true than its the right call. 

What would other Wanderers fans think of going after Bruno Zebie? useful player and we need Canadians to fill out our depth... Reality is that some of the cuts around the league will be fits for other teams. 23 apps and a goal, can play multiple positions... Not really an impact player at Edmonton but a guy that would challenge for a starting position. 

http://themerchantsailor.com/expect-more-departures-from-wanderers-fc/

Halifax Wanderers FC have very few players under contract now that the 2019 season is complete.

Player contracts expired on October 31st, and while many had an option for 2020, the fact that the Canadian Premier League salary cap hasn’t increased means teams have had to make difficult decisions about who will stay and who will go...

“The biggest problem for us is always going to be the USL, which is the biggest league in the world1,” said Hart, “and Canadians don’t count as foreigners in that league. So you find that you’re in a situation where there’s competition for those players, and you have to accept that.”

Some of the USL teams can more than match CanPL salaries because USL has never had a firm salary cap. While there are small-budget teams, particularly in USL-1, there are also franchises effectively auditioning for MLS that spend very freely. ...

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

3 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

http://themerchantsailor.com/expect-more-departures-from-wanderers-fc/

Halifax Wanderers FC have very few players under contract now that the 2019 season is complete.

Player contracts expired on October 31st, and while many had an option for 2020, the fact that the Canadian Premier League salary cap hasn’t increased means teams have had to make difficult decisions about who will stay and who will go...

“The biggest problem for us is always going to be the USL, which is the biggest league in the world1,” said Hart, “and Canadians don’t count as foreigners in that league. So you find that you’re in a situation where there’s competition for those players, and you have to accept that.”

Some of the USL teams can more than match CanPL salaries because USL has never had a firm salary cap. While there are small-budget teams, particularly in USL-1, there are also franchises effectively auditioning for MLS that spend very freely. ...

That's an interesting take on it. I would be interested to see how many of the players leaving CPL will end up in USL. I always considered the CPL would likely be the natural choice for Canadians. However if USL is paying higher wages at the end of the day the players need to be able to scrape out a living. Sounds like the CPL salary cap is pretty tight maybe as the league grows and gaind some attendance/sponsorship they will have a bit more wiggle room.

If you are from Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver and you can get a significantly larger contract from an independent USL Championship team than you can in Halifax, a lot of players are probably going to follow the money. This is going to be a bigger problem for teams in smaller markets like Winnipeg and Halifax than it is for teams in the Golden Horseshoe because being able to stay close to home will always be the key for some players (e.g. Ryan Telfer). It will probably never be explicitly stated anywhere but it's starting to look like the cap might actually have been lowered for year two, because it's easier to see how that would lead to difficult decisions on who to keep on a club held option and the rumoured change on imports also looks like it could primarily be a cost cutting measure.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I'm happy we've re-signed Garcia and Oxner, two of our better performers.  Oxner was a pleasant surprise and he is, for me, our number one keeper.

Not surprised about Langwa or Skublak, especially the former after his shouting match with Hart.  Wished Skublak could have come back as I would have liked to seen him get an extended run, but maybe Hart saw enough to justify his decision.

SImmons and Ilda I don't really understand, but I wouldn't be shocked if one (or both) are back in the near future.

Worth a listen, expect only 6 to 7 players to return, some new players already under contract, in negotiation with others, expect upgrade in player quality, players who spurned the league last year now interested.

Looks like they have already decided on their 1st pick in the draft tomorrow and expect him to be a starter.

No change in salary cap from last year.

Edited by MM3/MM2/MM

That's quite low. I was thinking nearer 10. 

William's now confirmed as not returning. Like langwa. Not a surprise. Might be back as goalkeeper coach.

There is still 10 players I would have kept at least. Simmons was a surprise. Excited to see who is coming in. If the influx is next level for Halifax I can only assume the same for the rest of the league which would bode well.

2 hours ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

Worth a listen, expect only 6 to 7 players to return, some new players already under contract, in negotiation with others, expect upgrade in player quality, players who spurned the league last year now interested.

Looks like they have already decided on their 1st pick in the draft tomorrow and expect him to be a starter.

No change in salary cap from last year.

I assume they're going to pick peter schaale? He was pretty good last season.