Aribim Pepple

Dominic94

On 2/8/2021 at 1:48 PM, MM3/MM2/MM said:

To be picky "3 weeks" 😎, he will play for the the U20 team in the AMSL.

I'm confused. You're saying Pepple didn't stick at any of the clubs he trialed with, and Cavalry and all other CPL clubs are passing up on him?

19 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

This the Ontario structure.  In Ottawa we have the OCSL Premier division as the top tier, teams compete in and have won the Ontario Cup.  David and Fazili both played in this league.  

Provincial Elite
Provincial East
Provincial West
Regional Central
Regional Central East
Regional South
Regional South West

Quebec has the LSEQ as the top amateur division.

Thanks. Just curious (and appreciate the patronage here, since this has little to do with Pepple), but is the Provincial Elite league a single-table league like the AMSL, or is it regionalized? Ontario is a pretty big province.

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

Thanks. Just curious (and appreciate the patronage here, since this has little to do with Pepple), but is the Provincial Elite league a single-table league like the AMSL, or is it regionalized? Ontario is a pretty big province.

It is a single-table 10 team league with promotion relegation.  Ottawa teams don't play here because of the the travel involved.

28 minutes ago, MM3/MM2/MM said:

It is a single-table 10 team league with promotion relegation.  Ottawa teams don't play here because of the the travel involved.

Thanks once again. That was my suspicion. 

So to answer @deschamp86, the AMSL is similar to OSL, but not quite the same, since OSL does not include teams from Ottawa, which is obviously a pretty significant metro area. That would be like the AMSL not including Calgary.

So without Ottawa, OSL is a provincial league in name only. 

The Calgary equivalent to OCSL would be CUSA (Calgary United Soccer Association), which has levels from Premier to div 6. Many of the guys who play in Premier are capable of playing in AMSL, but do not want to deal with the travel.

All of the Calgary based AMSL clubs run reserve teams in the CUSA Premier division, so it's not unusual for players to play Premier and Major within the same club. Some clubs (like mine for instance) have their top team in CUSA Premier, with sides in div 1, 2, 3, etc.

If Alberta had a provincial cup competition like BC and Ontario, I think you'd see some of the Premier teams from Calgary and Edmonton (EDSA) win it, much like you get Ontario Cup winners from the OCSL Premier division on occasion.

Always interesting learning about how the pyramid works in other provinces.

Circling back to Pepple, having to play some games in AMSL with Cavalry U-20 wouldn't be terrible, as long as it's a short term thing. In reality, I think he'd be with the first team as one of our best players, so it's kind of a moot discussion.

Edited by Obinna

13 hours ago, Obinna said:

Is the OSL a province-wide league that also serves as the top level of amateur soccer in Ontario? If so, we're talking equivalent to AMSL.

Yes, I believe so. It has been a while since I have been in the pyramid so am not up to date on everything. It is not technically province wide as stated above since Ottawa area is in OCSL, then  I am not sure about Windsor area but even with AMSL, it is mostly just Calgary and Edmonton teams

I am not that up on the structure in Ontario, but I always thought they used the Ontario Cup to crown provincial champions because it is the best way to bring the best teams from all regions into a single competition.

I am not 100% sure here, but  I remember when Rick Titus had played a game for TFC as an amateur because he didn't want to ruin his eligibility for the Ontario Cup. Guys like him I believe would put teams together with their buddies and enter and do well without having to work their ways up to Provincial Elite

For clarity, I am discussing men's soccer, not youth. 

And yes this is all men's soccer. OYSL as far as I know would be the youth equivalent (or was when I last played club soccer)

Ottawa is an outlier because of how far north they are compared to other big cities in Ontario. In some sports the just play in Quebec leagues I think, because it’s less travel for them. In Ontario, most of the tops teams come from the Toronto area, probably similar to Edmonton/Calgary in Alberta. I know when I played OYSL, it was Windsor, Kitchener, and the rest of the teams from the GTA. I’d imagine mens would be similar.

2 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Yes, I believe so. It has been a while since I have been in the pyramid so am not up to date on everything. It is not technically province wide as stated above since Ottawa area is in OCSL, then  I am not sure about Windsor area but even with AMSL, it is mostly just Calgary and Edmonton teams

Calgary and Edmonton account for the vast majority of Alberta's urban population, so I would say the AMSL is province wide for all intense and purposes. But like you said, the OSL is not really province wide, since it does not include Ottawa (+1M) and possibly Windsor (+300K), which are pretty significant populations to leave out of a "provincial league", even for a province as populated as Ontario.

2 hours ago, archer21 said:

Ottawa is an outlier because of how far north they are compared to other big cities in Ontario. In some sports the just play in Quebec leagues I think, because it’s less travel for them. In Ontario, most of the tops teams come from the Toronto area, probably similar to Edmonton/Calgary in Alberta. I know when I played OYSL, it was Windsor, Kitchener, and the rest of the teams from the GTA. I’d imagine mens would be similar.

Yeah I get it. Ottawa is Ontario, but in reality they play a lot in Quebec for practical reasons. If we then consider Ottawa to be Quebec and consider Ontario to be Toronto and surrounding areas, then yes OSL and AMSL would be pretty much equivalents. 

I wonder where York and Forge U-20 CPL teams would play. Would OSL be a high enough level? Cavalry and FCE U-20 didn't exactly run the table in the AMSL. 

17 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Calgary and Edmonton account for the vast majority of Alberta's urban population, so I would say the AMSL is province wide for all intense and purposes. But like you said, the OSL is not really province wide, since it does not include Ottawa (+1M) and possibly Windsor (+300K), which are pretty significant populations to leave out of a "provincial league", even for a province as populated as Ontario.

Yeah I get it. Ottawa is Ontario, but in reality they play a lot in Quebec for practical reasons. If we then consider Ottawa to be Quebec and consider Ontario to be Toronto and surrounding areas, then yes OSL and AMSL would be pretty much equivalents. 

I wonder where York and Forge U-20 CPL teams would play. Would OSL be a high enough level? Cavalry and FCE U-20 didn't exactly run the table in the AMSL. 

Maybe they should just have B teams that compete in L1O as opposed to a U21 team.

3 hours ago, Obinna said:

I mean, Calgary and Edmonton is a 3 hour drive versus a 7.5 hour drive between Windsor and Ottawa. This is probably as good as it gets.

In L1O Windsor even has a hard time filling a bench half the time and Ottawa moved to PLSQ because the travel was too much

16 minutes ago, deschamp86 said:

I mean, Calgary and Edmonton is a 3 hour drive versus a 7.5 hour drive between Windsor and Ottawa. This is probably as good as it gets.

In L1O Windsor even has a hard time filling a bench half the time and Ottawa moved to PLSQ because the travel was too much

For sure. The geography is such that a real province wide league doesn't make sense for Ontario. Same goes for British Columbia. Even in Alberta the travel for AMSL is a big ask for some, especially when the standard of play is not a big jump from the Premier divisions in Calgary or Edmonton. 

A real province wide league in Ontario and BC is more viable if it's semi-pro, I guess, but like you say even for L1O it's a stretch. It will be interesting to see what happens now with BCL1. I wish for it to have a big amount of success.

Edited by Obinna

• 3 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

The use of "additions" leads me to believe it's a new player. Otherwise, he would just be a returning player. 

I’m hoping as it would be disappointing all round. It may be a defender as when Zator left Rollins reported Cavalry wanted to play the kids and they have some they believe in. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That's the highest level of u-19 football in Spain. And their 1st team, the "A".

He's arrived, so proud of the kid. 

I suspect he's signed, couldn't play otherwise. 

I called them but no one was available from the academy to speak. I see Northern Tribune says he's signed, and as I say, usually in Spain you don't trial and play, you only train. You play if you've signed. He's on their official roster as registered with the Madrid Federation, so he can play. 

https://www.rffm.es/competiciones/equipos?team=562

Quite the official name.

Traditionally in Spain the u-19 A teams play in 7 divisions across the country, regionally organised. This year they have made smaller groups of ten teams, mostly because of Covid, to restrict mixing and reduce travel, so it's a bit messy and less interesting to follow results. Getafe is in Group 5B where the toughest teams are Leganés and Valladolid, not in the group 5A with Real Madrid or At Madrid. It is odd the groups are not more balanced. Later they do playoffs for the national u-19 championship, and another for the u-19 Cup.

Major step up for his development.