Canadian Championship May 15

fil

Personally as a CPL fan I am hoping the CPL can get an upset win over Ottawa and/or an MLS team before a CPL team is upset by a PLSQ/L1O team. Sorry Vaughan and Blainville, that's just how I feel.

So I'm cheering for York 9 (local team), HFX, and possibly Cavalry but I don't feel that strongly about that one. The only reason I say Cavalry is that so far they seem to be (without having seen them play very much) the best or at least one of the better teams, so maybe they give us the best chance at an upset (even if only in one leg) vs an MLS team (Vancouver) later on in the tournament.

32 minutes ago, Kent said:

they give us the best chance at an upset (even if only in one leg) vs an MLS team (Vancouver) later on in the tournament.

But this year it's Forge that will have the chance to upset Vancouver :)

I think Cavalry has a good chance against the MLS teams given their physicality, intensity and most jelling as a team. They are a hard team to break down and can nick a goal off a set piece.

Certainly against the Whitecaps & Impact, it would be a toss up since they don't have any game breakers (unless Piatti returns). TFC is a different story but they tend to rotate their roster for the Cdn Championship.

The dream for many out here is to see PFC and 'Caps go head to head in the third round. I don't know about nationally, but locally playing well in a Salish Sea Derby would be huge for the club here on the Island.

But first we (who are on a low) have to find a way through Cavalry (who are on a high).

22 minutes ago, ted said:

The dream for many out here is to see PFC and 'Caps go head to head in the third round. I don't know about nationally, but locally playing well in a Salish Sea Derby would be huge for the club here on the Island.

But first we (who are on a low) have to find a way through Cavalry (who are on a high).

A visit in an official match from the Whitecaps, which I think would be in July midweek, would be a major event for the team for sure. If it does not pan out this year, eventually it will. 

Not to mention a contingent from Victoria at BC Place.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

1 hour ago, ted said:

It will be odd to be "seated" in the away section at BC Place. 😂

There are a lot of us who may end up cross-dressing for the occasion. 

@ted I saw that in one home game there was an away supporter contingent, small, in the main stand at the end near you guys. Is that area going to be designated for visiting supporters, is that a decision they made?

Duane Rollins with lots of good reporting today. On top of his expansion news he has some V's Cup news:

-Apparently Jim Brennan didn't travel with York 9 to Blainsville.

-Cavalry are planning some major squad rotation tonight. Perhaps that might leave some room for an upset form Pacific?

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

@ted I saw that in one home game there was an away supporter contingent, small, in the main stand at the end near you guys. Is that area going to be designated for visiting supporters, is that a decision they made?

We have had away supporter at both home games so far and yes, that is the designated away section. Close enough to be drowned out by our chants and share a beer at half-time. ;)

Hard win for the Wanderers in Vaughn. Dominated the first half and were looking like they would cruise to a blow out. Vaughn came back and managed a couple goals. Despite 3 goals was a bit disapointed with Wanderers attacking. They did score on beauty on the cross from Kourouma to Garcia besides that they didn't seem to have any answers.

Vaughn need at least a 2-0 win in Halifax to move on. I can't see that happening. 

3-2 is  a decent result on the road for sure - I just wished a felt a bit better about it.....

We're complete shit. Might as well just put the UVIC team out there, maybe they can make 3 passes in a row. 

Edit:

I don't even know what to say about this game it has just been so horrible to watch. We get into the final third and we all of a sudden become a team of individuals and I don't really know who to blame. I know we're a young team and the kids want to prove themselves but let's play like a team for gods sake.

Edited by SkuseisLoose

I feel for Pacific fans and the kids. The veteran leadership is not pulling its weight and confidence is clearly low. They need a real leader in the middle of the park. 

Still Calgary and so impressive. So well drilled, organized and transitions to attack were smooth. They are improving and likely a lot of room left to grow too. Really impressed and like the idea of seeing them against the Whitecaps. 

Cavalry looked like a tier or two above PFC tonight. All that while only starting 5 of their regulars. Cavalry are starting to show that they are a step ahead of everyone else in the CPL. Zator is an absolute unit. Best defender In the league for me so far.

5 hours ago, toontownman said:

I feel for Pacific fans and the kids. The veteran leadership is not pulling its weight and confidence is clearly low. They need a real leader in the middle of the park. 

Still Calgary and so impressive. So well drilled, organized and transitions to attack were smooth. They are improving and likely a lot of room left to grow too. Really impressed and like the idea of seeing them against the Whitecaps. 

Feel bad for what fans?? Did you see the stands? lol

On 5/15/2019 at 2:43 AM, Lofty said:

This competition is a great opportunity to create CPL exposure. Even a good performance by a CPL club against one of the MLS franchises would likely be big news.

...a loss to a PLSQ or L1O team would also be significant and might shape perceptions in a detrimental way and that's the stage we are currently at.

Even top PLSQ or L1O teams should be roadkill, if the league has spent wisely on the 500k+ of player salaries and made full use of around three months of full-time training. Back in the original CSL era when the league was a lot closer to being semi-pro than CanPL is because teams were not spending up to the stated salary cap that would not have been a given. Will be interesting to see what happens in the second legs once the CanPL teams adjust to what they saw happening over the first 90 minutes. I suspect/hope we are going to see lopsided wins for the CanPL teams.

9 hours ago, grasshopper1917 said:

Hard win for the Wanderers in Vaughn. Dominated the first half and were looking like they would cruise to a blow out. Vaughn came back and managed a couple goals. Despite 3 goals was a bit disapointed with Wanderers attacking. They did score on beauty on the cross from Kourouma to Garcia besides that they didn't seem to have any answers.

Vaughn need at least a 2-0 win in Halifax to move on. I can't see that happening. 

3-2 is  a decent result on the road for sure - I just wished a felt a bit better about it.....

What is the tie breaker for this? Goal differential? or Away goals?  If it is just goal differential a 2-0 Vaughan win in Halifax is a lot more manageable then having to put in 3.  Giving up that PK in extra time was a heart-breaker for Vaughan.  Will need to re-watch the game but from the stands at least it seemed like the contact was body on body not warranting the call.  Vaughan definitely did not look out matched last night, if not for the early strange goal and the late PK the headlines could have been very different.  It will be interesting to see how both teams play on the return leg!  Exciting times for Canadian Soccer.

38 minutes ago, tg02 said:

What is the tie breaker for this? Goal differential? or Away goals?  If it is just goal differential a 2-0 Vaughan win in Halifax is a lot more manageable then having to put in 3.  Giving up that PK in extra time was a heart-breaker for Vaughan.  Will need to re-watch the game but from the stands at least it seemed like the contact was body on body not warranting the call.  Vaughan definitely did not look out matched last night, if not for the early strange goal and the late PK the headlines could have been very different.  It will be interesting to see how both teams play on the return leg!  Exciting times for Canadian Soccer.

Away goals count!