Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

The Camp Poutine callups who are U23 eligible will almost certainly be U23 callups I’d think.  

One thing Herdman always did with the women’s program was build depth by mixing in players U18-U23 with the senior team, which strengthened the youth ranks and kept the talent pushing up to the senior team.

Canada is producing talent quicker than the Senior team can fit now (the days of Unattached FC are permanently over).  This is going to go up and down the program.  

1 hour ago, baulderdash77 said:

The Camp Poutine callups who are U23 eligible will almost certainly be U23 callups I’d think.  

One thing Herdman always did with the women’s program was build depth by mixing in players U18-U23 with the senior team, which strengthened the youth ranks and kept the talent pushing up to the senior team.

Canada is producing talent quicker than the Senior team can fit now (the days of Unattached FC are permanently over).  This is going to go up and down the program.  

Check our latest roster.  Unattached FC is back baby. 

I’d rather be in Mexico’s group to avoid them forsure in semis. Ideal would be us, Mexico, El Salvador, and the DR.

Worst imo would be Honduras, Costa Rica, and Haiti

Canada El Salvador Honduras Haiti

The other group is more too heavy with Mexico USA Costa Rica Dominican Republic

Edited by Guest

7 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

The fact that Bassong can play both LB and RB is a bonus. Very good on the ball...

Yes but:

10 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Bassong wasn't forced to much 1 v 1 defending but looked fine when he did.

Exactly. From that 2nd Barbados match, I feel like he is more of a full-back rather than a true RB or LB. I'm not sure if he can handle what these tricky CONCACAF sides will throw at us. I would rather have Miller, ZBG, Godi etc.. 

I think he will make the team because Miller will be moved back to centre-back to play with Cornelius and therefore Bassong will be the option at LB. They likely couldn't get Gutiérrez to switch.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

13 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

I feel like he is more of a full-back rather than a true RB or LB. I'm not sure if he can handle what these tricky CONCACAF sides will throw at us. I would rather have Miller, ZBG, Godi etc.. 

We really didn't see enough of him to make a judgement against honestly pretty atrocious opposition. As you both point out, he is still untested really. He was practically a second winger for most of the game!  The signs looked good though. We basically managed to make a negative out of a pretty faultless debut. He looks technically sound, pacey and intelligent. Lots of promise and we shall see where it goes.

Its quite the young pool of fullbacks to choose from. All of those you mention could be playing for the U23's. There are more after that!

Its Adekugbe and Miller first choice for the Senior team on the left for me but Bassong could be another hugely positive addition to our pool.

Re: Gutierrez, based on zero information :) I think that one is waiting to happen. He is out looking for a club so I am not surprised he wasn't involved in this. Interested to see where he ends up. That he was reportedly extremely close to joining Valour last year tells me Canada is far from out of his mind. 

Biello: "which could mean some players will be representing the first team because that is the end line in terms of now qualifying for the World Cup."

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/national_sports/canadian-men-draw-honduras-el-salvador-and-haiti-in-olympic/article_9552678f-5a45-59b9-82fd-200b6cce7057.html

"will be" not "could be". It seems pretty clear that Davies and David are likely not going to Guadalajara.

I would think Godinho, Cornelius, Miller, Millar, Brault-Guillard and Tabla would all be with the U23s?

My tiny confused brain can't work out what that quote means lol. I am assuming he is just saying some eligible players might be missing because they are in the first team now? Unless he is alluding to more first team games happening that would take players away I don't get the quote. As of now the first team won't have any games months either side of either the qualifying or Olympics if we got there. 

I don't think the "will be" is that relevant when it is preceded by "which could mean". Granted he could have replaced will with might but he also could have said which means, why even say could? He is trying to leave things open as to who takes the call but offering an excuse if certain people don't accept. 

Or maybe he is say there will be some players representing the first team that are in the olympic squad. I think I officially over thought the innocuous quote.

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Biello: "which could mean some players will be representing the first team because that is the end line in terms of now qualifying for the World Cup."

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/sports/national_sports/canadian-men-draw-honduras-el-salvador-and-haiti-in-olympic/article_9552678f-5a45-59b9-82fd-200b6cce7057.html

"will be" not "could be". It seems pretty clear that Davies and David are likely not going to Guadalajara.

I would think Godinho, Cornelius, Miller, Millar, Brault-Guillard and Tabla would all be with the U23s?

The full sentence from the article:

Biello said the priority is the first team "which could mean some players will be representing the first team because that is the end line in terms of now qualifying for the World Cup."

From the sounds of that I think the U23s will clearly be getting the leftovers. More than just Davies and David will likely be with the Sr CMNT.