Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

No, it'll be us that are shocked.  And we'll blame Biello (crap coach), roster selection(my pet peeve player wasnt included), say our kids are too "entitiled", blame the MLS academies (not enough european based players called) etc etc etc.  

If we want the next generation to have a different culture, different attitude, how about putting a little priority/a little money on these teams, send the best we have and let them start a winning tradition as teenagers.  Start something they can carry on into the full mens team, and not just a history of crashing out of these tournies for their entire youth carers 

Another name that should be under consideration is Malik Johnson.  I haven't seen him mentioned recently in the thread but  the former TFC2 player has been playing in Tampa Bay this season.  I think he was injured or at least out of favour at the beginning of the season but has put together a nice run recently.

15 appearances and 3 goals and 5 assists in the USL Championship.  I think mostly playing as a winger. 

18 minutes ago, downtownordinary said:

Another name that should be under consideration is Malik Johnson.  I haven't seen him mentioned recently in the thread but  the former TFC2 player has been playing in Tampa Bay this season.  I think he was injured or at least out of favour at the beginning of the season but has put together a nice run recently.

15 appearances and 3 goals and 5 assists in the USL Championship.  I think mostly playing as a winger. 

Pretty decent numbers. 

On 8/28/2019 at 4:44 PM, Ansem said:

Mauro Biello is in charge of scouting CPL, since he's the head coach of the U23 team, it's promising for CPL talents

I think the team will be heavily focused on CPL players with a generous sprinkling of MLS reserve players.  

Our CPL U23 players are getting first team minutes week in and week out.  They’re developing rapidly right before our eyes in the best way.

What would our best CPL based team look like?

Harry Paton is a player I think deserve a look for this team. He is getting minutes for Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. He started today for the first time in the league and played 90 minutes in a 2-1 win. 

He seems to be highly rated by his manager https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/1822905/paton-staking-claim-for-staggies-midfield-berth-says-kettlewell/amp/

1 hour ago, HochelagaFC said:

Harry Paton is a player I think deserve a look for this team. He is getting minutes for Ross County in the Scottish Premiership. He started today for the first time in the league and played 90 minutes in a 2-1 win. 

He seems to be highly rated by his manager https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.pressandjournal.co.uk/fp/sport/football/ross-county/1822905/paton-staking-claim-for-staggies-midfield-berth-says-kettlewell/amp/

Why do players move up and down divisions so much in Scotland. He was playing in League 2 not too long ago, now he’s in the premier league. Zannata has been all over the place as well

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Why do players move up and down divisions so much in Scotland. He was playing in League 2 not too long ago, now he’s in the premier league. Zannata has been all over the place as well

They're called loans. Paton has always been with Premier League clubs, he has just spent time on loan with Stenhousemuir. Zanatta was with Hearts for four years but spent most of his time there on loan with three different clubs.

Yeah it's good system. At least the youngsters get to pay a lot. Most of the lower-league clubs are happy to get these kids!

I think Zanatta got a bit out of luck after giving it another shot at Hearts, it then being a bit late in the season for most clubs. Now he signed with a lesser club than he could have IMO.

Still he's getting a lot of mileage in the Scottish leagues!

On 9/7/2019 at 11:34 AM, baulderdash77 said:

I think the team will be heavily focused on CPL players with a generous sprinkling of MLS reserve players.  

Our CPL U23 players are getting first team minutes week in and week out.  They’re developing rapidly right before our eyes in the best way.

What would our best CPL based team look like?

The most recent episode (#16) of "Inside the CPL" on onesoccer made a best XI of CPL players. Off the top of my head I don't know if any of them are not CMNT eligible. Here it is.

image.png.8265267ec680d4c4f02a2d0cb53761e5.png

2 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

Is that a U23 best XI?  It’s not a league best XI for sure.

Yes, sorry I meant to have that detail in it. It is a U23 best XI.

If there are players too old for the U23 qualifying I'm sure it's because this is meant to be like MLS's 24 under 24 or something, not actually related to Olympic qualifying.

The Canpl makes me hopeful for youth tournaments. I think the best part is we don’t have to speculate weather or not younger players can play against older opponents. For example, I wouldn’t be surprised if Attardo got a call even though he is only 18. In the past, even if he was in an MLS academy, he would have been a “kid” and “too young” for the tournament. But he proves that he can play against even the biggest CBs. 

Either way, with Bair, Shaffelburg, Ongaro, Campbell, Attardo, Borges, and Verhoven I am not worried about our front line... it’s crazy to think these are our “second tier” players at this age group...