Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

"He's hoping to release some of his best players for U23 olympic qualifying"... That could be interpreted in many ways. 

Also I can't see David, Davies, or Millar getting released for potentially 3 weeks. It would be prime time for clubs in their seasons. Maybe Cornelius, Shome and Miller.....but even still I would rather see some other guys get a chance to show and prove. 

Edited by Shway
Years to weeks - wtf lol

Tricky one. Guys who are getting club minutes could feel a bit conflicted, but it isn’t like Shome at the GC who knew he wouldn’t see much, if any, playing time. And while U23 may not be top tier international footy, it is still a high level of competition and would expose some of these guys to another level and style of play. 

Would be great if Tabla could use it as a platform to find his groove. And while I imagine David, David’s and Miller have too much going on at the club level, I could see Miller, and Shome going for it. 

On 9/27/2019 at 9:04 AM, dyslexic nam said:

Would be great if Tabla could use it as a platform to find his groove. And while I imagine David, David’s and Miller have too much going on at the club level, I could see Miller, and Shome going for it. 

Agree with everything. However I think it's a wait and see how Miller is used in the next few matches....because he could cement his place in the senior team. 

I made a stats tracking list of all the U23 players. It consist of minutes played in 2019. I chose to exclude some duals simply based on that I couldn't find any information.

*Note: I also excluded u23 eligible players that have senior caps, the only exception is Busti. Godinho, Brault-Guillard, Millar, David, Davies, Miller, Tabla & Cornelius - that is a serious solid core

Here's the list: Canada U23 Players

Edited by Shway

23 hours ago, Shway said:

I made a stats tracking list of all the U23 players. It consist of minutes played in 2019. I chose to exclude some duals simply based on that I couldn't find any information.

*Note: I also excluded u23 eligible players that have senior caps, the only exception is Busti. Godinho, Brault-Guillard, Millar, David, Davies, Miller, Tabla & Cornelius - that is a serious solid core

Here's the list: Canada U23 Players

Easton Ongaro is a significant one too. 21 years old. 828 minutes, 7 goals, 2 assists. It’s also worth noting that he has scored half of Edmonton’s 14 goals in the fall season, assisting 2 more. Put him on an offensive team you might see a lot more.

Edited by BFBF

My 23 today... 

GOALKEEPERS (3):
Breza, Pantemis, St Clair

DEFENDERS (8):
Meilleur-Giguere, Kennedy, N’sa, Abzi, Chung, D. Gutierrez, C. Guiterrez, Lebre

MIDFIELDERS (8):
Fraser, Shome, Verhoeven, Okello, Shaffelburg, Borges, Grondin, Bayiha

FORWARDS (5):
Bair, Campbell, Ennin, Zanatta, Brym 

Edited by Shway

Without using any of the players currently called up against USA (cause I don't know about their availability for Olympics).

Goalkeepers:

Marco Carducci, James Pantemis, Alessandro Busti

Defenders:

Zachary Brault-Guillard, Malyk Hamilton, Chrisnovic N'Sa, Robert Boskovic
Thomas Meilleur-Giguère, Karifa Yao, Diyaeddine Abzi, Ndzemdzela Langwa

Midfielders:

Liam Fraser, David Norman Jr., Noble Okello, Shamit Shome, Matthew Baldisimo, Matthew Srbely

Forwards:

Tristan Borges, Ballou Tabla, Zach Verhoven, Charles-Andreas Brym, Theo Bair, Terran Campbell

------------------Carducci
ZBG ------ N'Sa --- Boskovic --- Abzi
----------------Liam Fraser
-------Okello ---------------- Shome
--Borges -------------------------------- Tabla
--------------------Brym

Added Carducci despite being over the age range. Feel like this tournament would be good for a possible future goalkeeper.

The line up would look a little different if players like Yankov ever committed.

2 hours ago, Colliedor said:

Without using any of the players currently called up against USA (cause I don't know about their availability for Olympics).

Goalkeepers:

Marco Carducci, James Pantemis, Alessandro Busti

Defenders:

Zachary Brault-Guillard, Malyk Hamilton, Chrisnovic N'Sa, Robert Boskovic
Thomas Meilleur-Giguère, Karifa Yao, Diyaeddine Abzi, Ndzemdzela Langwa

Midfielders:

Liam Fraser, David Norman Jr., Noble Okello, Shamit Shome, Matthew Baldisimo, Matthew Srbely

Forwards:

Tristan Borges, Ballou Tabla, Zach Verhoven, Charles-Andreas Brym, Theo Bair, Terran Campbell

------------------Carducci
ZBG ------ N'Sa --- Boskovic --- Abzi
----------------Liam Fraser
-------Okello ---------------- Shome
--Borges -------------------------------- Tabla
--------------------Brym

Added Carducci despite being over the age range. Feel like this tournament would be good for a possible future goalkeeper.

The line up would look a little different if players like Yankov ever committed.

I’d bring Kadin Chung and Hojabrpour 

If we made the Olympics I would go with the following 3 over aged players

1. Borjan - best keeper and no can’t miss up and comers at the moment

2. Eustáquio - helps get him some important games for Canada. Important player moving forward

3. Cavallini - big physical no. 9 that could give other young teams trouble

—————Borjan————

zbg——?—Cornelius—Miller

————-Eustáquio———-—

——Shome—Okello———-

david—Cavallini—Davies

2 hours ago, Obinna said:

If we made the Olympics I would go with the following 3 over aged players

1. Borjan - best keeper and no can’t miss up and comers at the moment

2. Eustáquio - helps get him some important games for Canada. Important player moving forward

3. Cavallini - big physical no. 9 that could give other young teams trouble

—————Borjan————

zbg——?—Cornelius—Miller

————-Eustáquio———-—

——Shome—Okello———-

david—Cavallini—Davies

I think sending that and getting there and doing some business in Tokyo would do more for the program at home than people might think. It is a huge stage for normally non-soccer people. 

The problem being getting clubs to co-operate.  Or even players: one of my club's ex-players blames his participation in London 2012 for losing his place in the team and setting a young career back.  Maybe sour grapes but it is about perception. 

Cavallini? Borjan?.... I mean if we finally qualify then we are good enough to compete with the guys we have. Calling in those guys is pointless tbh when we'll be focusing on nations league semi finals 😁, and Hex preparations. 

I rather have David, Davies, Cornelius play with the younger guys in preparation for the future. I see no benefit. 

2 hours ago, Shway said:

Cavallini? Borjan?.... I mean if we finally qualify then we are good enough to compete with the guys we have. Calling in those guys is pointless tbh when we'll be focusing on nations league semi finals 😁, and Hex preparations. 

I rather have David, Davies, Cornelius play with the younger guys in preparation for the future. I see no benefit. 

That was assuming there is no senior team overlap or interference. Senior team is the priority for sure.