Under 23 qualifying roster speculation

I love how for me at least, this is one of the most anticipated and exciting threads/topics on the board, yet it will be almost a year from its creation before we actually get to see an U23 team kick a ball. Bloody CSA. 

What makes this age group and qualifying so exciting is the CPL. So much of the squad will be better known, the connection to the team will be greater as will the anticipation. The squad might not be that different that what would have been picked prior to the CPL but most of the squad will be almost household names to everyone here/CPL fans now.

The last U23 team was a huge disappointment preparation and selection wise so I’m not expecting much.  Always big bark and no bite with the CSA.

Remember last team we had a bunch of guys stay with their MLS teams and then inexplicably Hamilton and Bustos weren’t there but with the MNT vs Ghana weeks later. 

13 minutes ago, VinceA said:

The US and Mexico have done so  much prep. We have done nothing. We aren't going to qualify.

Never discount the element of surprise. It would certainly be a surprise if we are even competitive without getting these players together. 

Anyone want to start a whip around to give to the CSA for a camp? I'm starting a go fund me page. 

They're looking far & wide.

It’s massive for us. I might have been one of those who have said it in the past that this province has been overlooked,” said Paulus. “But credit to John Herdman and Mauro Biello, because they’re out scouring now. They’re looking at the CPL, they’ve made that very clear. They’ve come in and done a club visit with us a few weeks back, talking about our young players as well as our under-20 program coming up, what we have in different age groups. We’ve got players in our program right now that will certainly get looked at for the U-20s and U-23s.”

That sentiment is echoed by Martin Nash, assistant coach and technical director for Cavalry.

“They are leaving no stone unturned when it comes to finding players.”

Alberta Soccer has just been that quiet association that keeps producing talent, keeps producing players who do good things at good levels. We don’t see enough of them (Canada Soccer officials), but I think that’s changing. It’s changing with the new guard.”

https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-cpler-canmnt-call-ups-prove-alberta-an-overlooked-market

9 hours ago, red card said:

They're looking far & wide.

It’s massive for us. I might have been one of those who have said it in the past that this province has been overlooked,” said Paulus. “But credit to John Herdman and Mauro Biello, because they’re out scouring now. They’re looking at the CPL, they’ve made that very clear. They’ve come in and done a club visit with us a few weeks back, talking about our young players as well as our under-20 program coming up, what we have in different age groups. We’ve got players in our program right now that will certainly get looked at for the U-20s and U-23s.”

That sentiment is echoed by Martin Nash, assistant coach and technical director for Cavalry.

“They are leaving no stone unturned when it comes to finding players.”

Alberta Soccer has just been that quiet association that keeps producing talent, keeps producing players who do good things at good levels. We don’t see enough of them (Canada Soccer officials), but I think that’s changing. It’s changing with the new guard.”

https://canpl.ca/article/sandor-cpler-canmnt-call-ups-prove-alberta-an-overlooked-market

Testaments of Herdman’s scouting network, don’t show this to SpecialK. 

On on a side note, I really hope to see Klaidi Cela on this roster. Has shown great ability in limited opportunities. And is versatile as a wide midfielder or more of a fullback.

23 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

On on a side note, I really hope to see Klaidi Cela on this roster. Has shown great ability in limited opportunities. And is versatile as a wide midfielder or more of a fullback.

I would be disappointed if he was called up over some more deserving CBs. I personally haven't seen much of him, but I truly don't think anyone's see enough for him to be there.

My hope for this team is to show the growth in the program. We have alot of young guys who are getting real professional minutes. No longer are the days that we once would've had this team filled with players who haven't played much. 

Meilleur-Giguere, N’sa, Kennedy, Amuz, Sadiki, Romeo, Boskovic, Lebre are a few names to mention. 

This team will be very interesting. Especially with no preparation camps, players will be missed. 

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

I would love for us to have an id camp before the tournament, with the amount of players we have that would need to be assessed/get a look...In the CB position alone there is Amuz, Montgomery, Meilleur-Giguere, Kennedy, N’sa, and Lebre....and that's not including the potential availability of the senior team players (Cornelius, and Miller). 

So ultimately there will be surprises. The surprises I want to see is the ones with dual nationality - Brym, Bassong, Amuz, Gutierrez, Singh, and with a shot from long range Kadioglu. 

Would love to this starting XL in a friendly 

BA5B7282-45A3-4134-89D7-7B1E1A645758.jpeg

Two huge CB’s ,  dynamic fast wingers and fullbacks ,  hard-working midfielders,  a French striker  and with a GK who has been  quietly forgotten about who is played really well in Italy. 

Edited by SpecialK

2 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/hibs/latest-hibs-news/who-new-hibs-defender-kosovar-sadiki-98889

In here from last Feb, says he turned down Kosovo to pledge to Albania despite a history with Canadian youth teams.

Its strange though. Usually if a player switches allegiances you'll see them feature or at least in a camp pretty soon after. Mind you my Albanian is non-existent, so maybe there is something I am missing

II was never high on Sadiki, but I wasn't high on Didic either and he's snuck back into the NT picture...

Jacon Schaffelburg has gone missing after a nice stretch of TFC games. I still think he makes the squad, but I wouldn't bet the house on it.

Borges should be a lock, as should Terrance Campbell. The Choniere brothers should both make the team. I think Shome is a lock as well, at least he is for me. I can't see him not getting called.

Tabla and Brault-guillard may be focused on club by the time March rolls around. Neither will be eligible to play until the new year, as I now understand it, and that being the case I expect both to go on loan in January.

If both of those boys are on loan (probably in Europe), would they be complicating matters by leaving for concacaf U23 qualifying? Not sure, but it's a question worth asking..

Millar is more established at Kilmarnock and I would guess he'd be allowed to leave without too much fuss.

In the back, I still want Miller and Cornelius for at least two of the starting positions.

Edited by Obinna

1 minute ago, deschamp86 said:

Its strange though. Usually if a player switches allegiances you'll see them feature or at least in a camp pretty soon after. Mind you my Albanian is non-existent, so maybe there is something I am missing

You need to brush up on your Albanian.  Their new coach Jetmir Hurdman doesnt play alot of friendlies, and they dont have much cash for camps.