The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Deleted.

We can't be doing this.

Link to articles to support the authors.

If they are behind a paywall, well you can't repost them here.

----------------------------

Sorry but the new Internet reality is we can't do this stuff anymore, and we should be supporting media that writes about soccer in this country.

24 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Thx for posting this. Didnt really want to pay for a subscription to the Atlantic... 

How about a subscription to the Athletic? ?

For real though, we shouldn't be posting entire articles on the board. People here like to bitch about the lack of attention given to Canadian soccer by the media and some will post full articles that subvert the system that allows readers to be counted and monetized so such coverage could continue/grow.

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

I will say, there are much much MUCH worse things you could pay a subscription to. It's a great service and is a good outlet for quality written articles. 

I subscribe to The Athletic and the quality of the writing is excellent.  Well worth the price of a couple of large coffees a month.

16 hours ago, jpg75 said:

Can someone summarize the interview?

Tough to do, as it was very detailed. He said he struggled early on in training, as defenders closed down much faster than in MLS, but that he feels he's improved since then. Cited the language factor as a stumbling block in integrating, and said he hasn't found a veteran he's connected with, unlike his experience last year with Kamara.  Also recall that it was his choice to play with the reserves.  His goal this year is to score a goal.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

I think Bayern still has hopes of salvaging some value for Sanchez.  After all, they paid way more for him than for Davies.

Fairly irrelevant to compare the two as they are completely different positions.  Sanches is a work horse in the middle of the park and helps defensively.  As much as I would have liked to see Davies come in and get some minutes while they had a 3 goal lead, I completely understand the need to win games is much more valuable in the title race.

34 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Fairly irrelevant to compare the two as they are completely different positions.  Sanches is a work horse in the middle of the park and helps defensively.  As much as I would have liked to see Davies come in and get some minutes while they had a 3 goal lead, I completely understand the need to win games is much more valuable in the title race.

Plus look at the quality of the 3 subs they made. It will be tough for Davies to get minutes this season but training with and being on the bench with the first team is going to help him next season. 

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Plus look at the quality of the 3 subs they made. It will be tough for Davies to get minutes this season but training with and being on the bench with the first team is going to help him next season. 

Yes, we have to be patient and remember that Ribery & Robben are moving on after this season.  He will get his opportunities.

6 hours ago, Corazon said:

Sanchez is a box-t-box mid and when I watched him in the Euro final with Portugal, he looked destined for stardom and everyone thought Bayern got a bargan at $40M Euros for this guy.  Three and a half years from Euro, Sanchez still hasn't established himself and is already making noises about lack of playing time.  Even for Bayern, it's be tough to swallow a $25M or $30M Euro haircut on this guy when he finally gets sold back to Sporting or Benefica so they're trying to give him minutes when they can.

3 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Sanchez is a box-t-box mid and when I watched him in the Euro final with Portugal, he looked destined for stardom and everyone thought Bayern got a bargan at $40M Euros for this guy.  Three and a half years from Euro, Sanchez still hasn't established himself and is already making noises about lack of playing time.  Even for Bayern, it's be tough to swallow a $25M or $30M Euro haircut on this guy when he finally gets sold back to Sporting or Benefica so they're trying to give him minutes when they can.

hate to nit pick, but its been two and a half years

For all the talk early on of Bayern's downfall they could actually still get the treble this year. Will be super interesting what they do in April. They have cup quarterfinal game on the 3rd against a second division side, then Dortmund on the 6th which could decide the league, and possibly Champions league quarterfinal on the 9th.

Even if Davies doesn't get into any games I imagine that the atmosphere, training, and experience would be unbelievable.

29 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

3rd sub used on bringing Sanches on. Guess they don't have any ambition to stay in the CL with leaving Davies on the bench ;)

Holy shit that was dumb!   10 minutes left and you need 2 goals, so you sub on a DM/CM in place of an AM!   

Can't really say anyone from Bayern looked good tonight.  Ribery did nothing. They couldn't get the ball to Lewandowski.  Goretzka was invisible after coming in.  Very little creativity or offense from any of the Germans.  

Kovac looked out of his depth.  I imagine he will once again be feeling a lot of pressure after that performance.