York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

7 hours ago, Vince193 said:

http://york9fc.canpl.ca/article/york9-fc-signs-canadian-goalkeeper-colm-vance

Um, okay. Callum Irving is available, Angelo Cavalluzzo is available but they go for this guy? York 9 easily has the worst GK duo in the league.

I remember Duane Rollins saying there were rumours about York's ability to ID talent and that they were in over their heads. They very well might be by the looks for this signing.

But we'll see. I'm expecting Forge to win the opener handily though based on some of these signings.

Hearing that Cavalluzzo retired? And others might have other jobs that makes it hard to move to another?

Think maybe with a year of stability, we will see more signings the following year.

7 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Yeah. I am really unsure as to who their starter even is. I know next to nothing about Silva and it is pretty hard to get information on him and his game that he has played professionally, so I would think that Vance would be the starter. But Vance wasn't even the full-time starter for Vaughan Azzurri last year. There were 8 keepers that played for them in 2018 and 7 in 2017!

I watched Matt Silva a lot on the PDL Toronto Lynx between 2011 and 2014.  In 2014 he was the starter in most games and on the bench was.....later day Sigma/Forge Triston Henry.  Trouble with Lynx was that they only scored 15 goals in 14 games so once the opponents scored, it was likely the game was over.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports14/14lynx07.htm

11 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

Yea, this is a head scratcher. I'd rather go with cavalluzo, smits or from league 1: matt George or stillo. Vance isn't even the first name I think of for l1o. I have to trust isacco though as George and vance have played under him. 

Have you seen Cavaluzzo play? I know he's young but I was very unimpressed in the games I watched him play. 

Great reflexes but too short to make all the saves he needs to make was what I remember of him. He's had his shot at showing what he can do as has Calum Irving. There's a definite tendency on this forum to overlook the possibility that some players just don't make the grade and at some point simply have to get on with the rest of their lives.

To be fair to yellowsweatygorilla though, someone who can comment on the relative quality of L1O players is not basing this on name recognition. It's possible that they are not being that generous in contract terms for the second keeper signed and better options turned down the terms on offer.

4 hours ago, shamrock said:

Have you seen Cavaluzzo play? I know he's young but I was very unimpressed in the games I watched him play. 

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Great reflexes but too short to make all the saves he needs to make was what I remember of him. He's had his shot at showing what he can do as has Calum Irving. There's a definite tendency on this forum to overlook the possibility that some players just don't make the grade and at some point simply have to get on with the rest of their lives.

To be fair to yellowsweatygorilla though, someone who can comment on the relative quality of L1O players is not basing this on name recognition. It's possible that they are not being that generous in contract terms for the second keeper signed and better options turned down the terms on offer.

?

I fully admit I am biased towards Cavalluzo as a person who is also rather diminutive. He was always fun to watch as it made every save that much more dramatic. Though I'll fully admit that there are question marks about his positioning, given all the acrobatic saves. He's also done coaching for quite some time and could take the load off Camilo Benzi/allow them to save money?

BringBackTheBlizzard is right though, in that financial considerations may be the major reason why certain 'obvious choice' keepers haven't signed from what I've heard. I don't think clubs are willing to splash for the backup keeper position for the first year. 

Colm Vance could still be solid, he's played for Issacco for a long time. I just haven't seen him play as much compared to say Matt George, who had won consecutive titles with Oakville and then Vaughan last year (I wonder if him playing for Vaughan in the playoffs was a bit of a trial for York9). Was impressed with George's communication and organization of the defence.

13 hours ago, matty said:

i don't think they need to, they're a private organization, but the claim it would need to be edited down isn't overly true (a number of organizations do have similar doc public in full).

also it doesn't really hurt them at all otherwise a league like MLS wouldn't publish their roster rules.

MLS didnt publish initially. It came about because of the players association. And it is one thing if already established teams need to bring in players, and something totally different if a whole new league needs to bring in over 150 players.

1 hour ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

MLS didnt publish initially. It came about because of the players association. And it is one thing if already established teams need to bring in players, and something totally different if a whole new league needs to bring in over 150 players.

it is but i don't agree it hurts them. 

I am personally of the opinion that because of the position, you have superior level keepers playing at lower levels, all over the world. Okay, maybe I am exagerrating (watching some Asia highlights I have some doubts), but still. I have seen amazing keepers in 5th tier who I am sure could handle a tier or two higher but lack of minutes forced them down.

It seems this is also one of the philosophies of MLS, where almost all keepers have journeyman status, except for Howard coming back to retire, or the odd quality appearance (Mondragon, now Robles, Rimando). I really don't think MLS has ever seen a club pay premium money for a premium keeper, budgets don't go to that position. ç

So we are seeing CPL repeating a similar philosophy, which is too bad I think. We don't really have a single case of signing keeper, CBs and defensive mid first, as a core, then going from there. 

2 minutes ago, RS said:

I may be wrong, but I think Halifax took that strategy.

I guess because I have no idea about the T&T players, I may be wrong there, I admit. If that gamble pays off and they have a top keeper and back line, then they'll be a tough team to beat.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Would love to be a fly on the wall as that marketing strategy gets explained to the head coaches. Think it's just the outcome of having a relatively low salary cap, because most teams will probably prioritize forwards and midfielders over defenders and goalkeepers in terms of who gets that little bit extra above the average salary they can provide.

1 hour ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Would love to be a fly on the wall as that marketing strategy gets explained to the head coaches. Think it's just the outcome of having a relatively low salary cap, because most teams will probably prioritize forwards and midfielders over defenders and goalkeepers in terms of who gets that little bit extra above the average salary they can provide.

I think one thing to consider, even if the cap is higher, is that for a lot of the semi-pro players, they may be currently working jobs that pay pretty well. I've heard of players earning $100k coaching kids for e.g. It's one thing if you're a youth player with no other careers at the moment, for them $30-50k will be super attractive, as are I am sure semi-pro players playing internationally. It's another if you have to support a family, and the only offer requires you to move to another province at a significant pay cut.

58 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I think one thing to consider, even if the cap is higher, is that for a lot of the semi-pro players, they may be currently working jobs that pay pretty well. I've heard of players earning $100k coaching kids for e.g. It's one thing if you're a youth player with no other careers at the moment, for them $30-50k will be super attractive, as are I am sure semi-pro players playing internationally. It's another if you have to support a family, and the only offer requires you to move to another province at a significant pay cut.

If the league gets a perception that it's semi-pro that is a death sentence.

4 minutes ago, Vince193 said:

If the league gets a perception that it's semi-pro that is a death sentence.

Sorry, I don't mean that CanPL is semi pro, I mean some of the players with decent pedigree that are semi-pro (like the goalkeepers we had mentioned). I am suggesting the step (and in many cases return) back into pro atheletes, isn't super inviting at the moment if they had other careers.

On 3/9/2019 at 8:58 AM, yellowsweatygorilla said:

?

I fully admit I am biased towards Cavalluzo as a person who is also rather diminutive. He was always fun to watch as it made every save that much more dramatic. Though I'll fully admit that there are question marks about his positioning, given all the acrobatic saves. He's also done coaching for quite some time and could take the load off Camilo Benzi/allow them to save money?

BringBackTheBlizzard is right though, in that financial considerations may be the major reason why certain 'obvious choice' keepers haven't signed from what I've heard. I don't think clubs are willing to splash for the backup keeper position for the first year. 

Colm Vance could still be solid, he's played for Issacco for a long time. I just haven't seen him play as much compared to say Matt George, who had won consecutive titles with Oakville and then Vaughan last year (I wonder if him playing for Vaughan in the playoffs was a bit of a trial for York9). Was impressed with George's communication and organization of the defence.

This is puzzling on so many different levels for sure. The fact that keepers such as cavalluzo, George and still remain unsigned with their pedigrees is shocking to say the least.

Must be something everyone is missing

https://www.yorkregion.com/community-story/9219023-york9-fc-prepares-for-canadian-premier-league-season-at-ontario-soccer-centre/

...York9 will play its home matches at York University's Alumni Field to start the season, with plans to move to York's Lions Stadium sometime before the end of the season. The club will play its home matches at York U for at least three seasons...

Makes sense. There is no way they could design and build a permanent stadium in less than three years. And even if they could, it would probably be smarter to get some sense of the demand for tickets so they know the size of the stadium they want to build. As well, is there a focus on expensive tickets like boxes and field side seats, or a focus on cheap seats at a high volume? What location would work for them, because they don’t have land yet? Stuff they need to figure out before they commit on something. I would imagine it would be more like 5 years to be honest.

Those aren't 15,000 seater permanent sustainable-wood-framed structures, like the York proposal (if I recall correctly). One was already a permanent stadium that got expanded, and one is a temporary popup that is on a trial basis and I think has to get partially torn down every winter? Very different situations.

5+ years seems about right to me as well. At least a few to get going, make sure it's somewhat sustainable, and market research.  And then a couple for land acquisition, design and construction. 

(Some design could happen now but it will be constantly changing based on the gathered info and feedback)

Edit: I also seem to remember them being pretty clear that building a stadium was few years away, from the very start

Edited by Tigers

23 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

https://www.yorkregion.com/community-story/9219023-york9-fc-prepares-for-canadian-premier-league-season-at-ontario-soccer-centre/

...York9 will play its home matches at York University's Alumni Field to start the season, with plans to move to York's Lions Stadium sometime before the end of the season. The club will play its home matches at York U for at least three seasons...

Wasn't it two seasons initially?