York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Michael Cox has consistently been signed at a fully pro level for most of the last decade:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Cox_(soccer)

while Simon Adjei clearly hasn't and doesn't even rate a wikipedia entry:

https://www.transfermarkt.com/simon-adjei/profil/spieler/205360

No idea why anyone would assume Adjei will start ahead of Cox.

So when I said other than what you can find on Wikipedia you thought I was looking for a Wikipedia link?  Thanks for the first two links that google gave you and zero insight into my question.

The reason I would've thought that Adjei would be #1 on the depth chart coming into camps would mainly be that he was someone the team clearly targeted out of the gate.  I don't think the team would run over to the Swedish 2nd division and make the 2nd player signed by the club and first international signed by the league to be a clear back up.

Also, recent form lead me to have Adjei over Cox.  According to Wikipedia Cox has 14 goals since 2014, only 3 last season between 2 clubs.  Adjei, according to the signing announcement page, scored 30 last season.  https://canpl.ca/video/york9-fc-signs-swedish-striker-simon-adjei-from-assyriska-ik

10 minutes ago, Serie_AHH said:

So when I said other than what you can find on Wikipedia you thought I was looking for a Wikipedia link?  Thanks for the first two links that google gave you and zero insight into my question....

There are other people reading this board besides you who might find those links useful. The key info to note is that Adjei played for Brennan before in L1O with Aurora.

23 hours ago, Rocket Robin said:

Details of the York 9 FC Pub night held last night in Brampton.  
I've got audio files of the presentation, and my interviews with players Matt Silva, Ryan Telfer, and Cyrus Rollocks.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york078.htm

Also details of upcoming training in Dominican Republic, York Lions Stadium plans, new details of the York 9 fans trip to Hamilton. 

Why Brampton no pubs in all of York Region?

21 minutes ago, 1996 said:

I guess they were expecting me to be there unless....they have more SSH in Brampton other than myself? 

I never got the email for this though.

Edit: Just clicked on Rocket's link. It was at Keenan's Irish Pub? I have frequented that establishment a few times. Keltic Rock would have been great as well, a lot of soccer loving people there.

Edited by Macksam

20 minutes ago, Shortdutchcanuck said:

If you don't like him, ignore him.  No need for comments like this.

Really? Maybe have a look at his history and him telling me to Fuck Off and few others on this board.  If he likes to dish it I just found it was time that he took it too. What these young punks need to remember is that if it wasn’t for us old farts like myself and BBTB who kept following this game when it wasn’t fashionable there may not have been any type of soccer to talk about right now , MLS or CPL ! I remember walking into an El Salvador social club here in North York back in the early 80’s to be able to watch a Canada at El Salvador World Cup qualifying game on Satellite the only place I found that was showing the game , no internet stream or TSN or Sportsnet telecast not even any coverage on the radio or newspaper the next day , and sitting there and not being able to celebrate when Canada scored unless I wanted to walk out of that social club alive. It may seem that a BBTB or even myself at times don’t seem to have the best interests of the game at hand but that is so far away from the truth. If Canada where to qualify for a World Cup again in myself and BBTB lifetime I can bet you it will be I’m pretty sure one of the proudest moments of our Canadian soccer following lives next to that 1986 qualifying berth. Some of us might have different ideas about how to further develop the game here in Canada but our love for this game in Canada should never be questioned never we have been at this a long long time.

Edited by 1996

21 minutes ago, 1996 said:

This was something like their eighth pub night.  

I've been to the one's at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge January 30th (the first time the bus reveal was announced), Archibald's in Richmond Hill on February 13th which had been rescheduled from the road closing blizzard the week before,  and the Unionville Arms Pub & Grill in Unionville on February 18th.   

Some of them were further afield in the nine counties.  The Keenan's one was the only one (can't find the announcements anymore) that I saw wasn't in the strict political boundaries of the region.   

(self promotion alert)  You can read about those three I mention by paging back on this forum or linking directly to my site.  

15 minutes ago, 1996 said:

Really? Maybe have a look at his history and him telling me to Fuck Off and few others on this board.  If he likes to dish it I just found it was time that he took it too. What these young punks need to remember is that if it wasn’t for us old farts like myself and BBTB who kept following this game when it wasn’t fashionable there may not have been any type of soccer to talk about right now , MLS or CPL ! I remember walking into a El Salvador social club here in North York back in the early 80’s to be able to watch a Canada at El Salvador World Cup qualifying game on Satellite the only place I found that was showing the game , no internet stream or TSN or Sportsnet telecast not even any coverage on the radio or newspaper the next day , and sitting there and not being able to celebrate when Canada scored unless I wanted to walk out of that social club alive.

The length of you fandom does not make you better than anyone else here.

And the ironic part? If you’re as passionate as think you are you would probably be just as upset with BBTB, why? Because he’s done way more harm to this forum and this community than he’s done good by driving off people who are passionate about trying to build up the CPL and it’s fanbases. 

Merit: to clarify, I don’t condone any personal attacks but I understand where they’re coming from.

Edited by BuzzAndSting

3 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

I've been to the one's at Shoeless Joe's in Woodbridge January 30th (the first time the bus reveal was announced), Archibald's in Richmond Hill on February 13th which had been rescheduled from the road closing blizzard the week before,  and the Unionville Arms Pub & Grill in Unionville on February 18th.   

Some of them were further afield in the nine counties.  The Keenan's one was the only one (can't find the announcements anymore) that I saw wasn't in the strict political boundaries of the region.   

(self promotion alert)  You can read about those three I mention by paging back on this forum or linking directly to my site.  

Yeah, Y9 has had numerous pub nights in York Region.

4 minutes ago, Rocket Robin said:

Ok thanks sounds good.

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Yeah, its an odd choice. They have done one in Vaughan & Richmond Hill I believe but it would be nice if they did a pub night in Markham (although it's possible they have and I just never heard about it, I didn't hear about this Brampton one until reading about it on this board).

3 hours ago, 1996 said:

Really? Maybe have a look at his history and him telling me to Fuck Off and few others on this board.  If he likes to dish it I just found it was time that he took it too. What these young punks need to remember is that if it wasn’t for us old farts like myself and BBTB who kept following this game when it wasn’t fashionable there may not have been any type of soccer to talk about right now , MLS or CPL ! I remember walking into an El Salvador social club here in North York back in the early 80’s to be able to watch a Canada at El Salvador World Cup qualifying game on Satellite the only place I found that was showing the game , no internet stream or TSN or Sportsnet telecast not even any coverage on the radio or newspaper the next day , and sitting there and not being able to celebrate when Canada scored unless I wanted to walk out of that social club alive. It may seem that a BBTB or even myself at times don’t seem to have the best interests of the game at hand but that is so far away from the truth. If Canada where to qualify for a World Cup again in myself and BBTB lifetime I can bet you it will be I’m pretty sure one of the proudest moments of our Canadian soccer following lives next to that 1986 qualifying berth. Some of us might have different ideas about how to further develop the game here in Canada but our love for this game in Canada should never be questioned never we have been at this a long long time.

Good for you. I have no idea what makes you think I'm a young punk but I'm willing to bet I've supported Canada and Canadian club teams as long as you guys. I also was around for Canada at the World Cup. I've seen Bunbury play for the Hamilton Steelers. I've been to Varsity Stadium to watch the Toronto Blizzard. I saw Maradona play for Napoli in Munich at the Olympiastadion. Still think you have the market cornered on supporter longevity? Blow it out your ass. I also am not so vain as to doubt that there are longer serving Canadian footie supporters. I'm just tired of his constant diatribe. Some tell me I should just put him on my ignore list and I respect that opinion but the thing is...I enjoy telling him off (even though I know he has blocked me lol). It's like flipping someone the bird on the road after they've cut you off...it doesn't accomplish anything but it makes me feel so much better.

Not quite a case of the left foot only being there to stand on as he does highlight cases where he scores with it, but the way to defend against this guy is probably to force him onto his left foot, if you can, as he seems to be a very right-sided player to the extent he looks more like a right winger than a centre forward at times in that clip. Suspect he will do well in CanPL this summer. York 9 were lucky that there was a York University and hence Carmine Isacco angle to his resume

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

Idk if this was mentioned, but that mysterious Junior Kingue actually did trial with York9, as shown in his Instagram post on March 12th 

He is supposedly participating at the FTF Combine today/tomorrow, so I'd assume the trial was unsuccessful. 

Also found this twitter account which is surely a Junior Kingue burner account trying to boost his stock, adds to his resume as a fraud.  

21 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Yeah, its an odd choice. They have done one in Vaughan & Richmond Hill I believe but it would be nice if they did a pub night in Markham (although it's possible they have and I just never heard about it, I didn't hear about this Brampton one until reading about it on this board).

Well I've heard Unionville (pub night Feb 18th)  is part of Markham.    Sort of absorbed in the build up.  

I grew up in Willowdale which was mashed into North York which was then blended into Toronto mega-city over the decades.  My house is still where it is!  I'm still waiting for the fire trucks to go to the name-alike street just like the mail comes here and my election enumeration cards go to his place.  (because they use computer software that prints those postal codes).    

5 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Latest from Junior Kingue:

I love that they use a photo of him impeding the attacking player by yanking on his shirt. I adore Junior Kingue, he's an Ali Dia for the Instagram generation (except unlike Dia, he won't be turning out for an actual EPL club ?). So glad no CanPL side took a chance with this Walter.

Always hard to judge the inaugural season, but I reckon we will finish mid table. Halifax and Forge look the 2 best sides going into the season, but I also don't think we are the worst. I reckon we have a bit more than each of the prairie teams.

It's all a roll of the dice at this point though.