York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

Looks like Toronto Arrows of Major League Rugby will play the eight home fixtures at York Alumni Field. They were on an eight game road trip and their first home game will be on April 7th. 

Read that in the Toronto Star today. Good news for York 9 FC in that Arrows can paint the field however they want as soccer will be at York Lions Stadium across the campus.

Ahh the Toronto Star! That news was squeezed into a one paragraph blip on their sports scoreboard page. The Toronto Rock lacrosse game was squeezed into another one paragraph story. That's the amount of coverage unfortunately I expect on York 9 FC this season. All sports scores have to be squeezed onto one page. There's only enough room for the MLS Eastern Standings! TFC had their second long story in two days but they were both CP articles by Neil Davidson. The Star reporter Laura Armstrong has taken over Blue Jays coverage and has not been replaced. She still files the odd TFC story.  'No sign of blister problems' screamed the headline completing the two page article on the Blue Jays game.  

Edited by Rocket Robin

1 hour ago, Rocket Robin said:

Looks like Toronto Arrows of Major League Rugby will play the eight home fixtures at York Alumni Field. They were on an eight game road trip and their first home game will be on April 7th. 

Read that in the Toronto Star today. Good news for York 9 FC in that Arrows can paint the field however they want as soccer will be at York Lions Stadium across the campus.

Ahh the Toronto Star! That news was squeezed into a one paragraph blip on their sports scoreboard page. The Toronto Rock lacrosse game was squeezed into another one paragraph story. That's the amount of coverage unfortunately I expect on York 9 FC this season. All sports scores have to be squeezed onto one page. There's only enough room for the MLS Eastern Standings! TFC had their second long story in two days but they were both CP articles by Neil Davidson. The Star reporter Laura Armstrong has taken over Blue Jays coverage and has not been replaced. She still files the odd TFC story.  'No sign of blister problems' screamed the headline completing the two page article on the Blue Jays game.  

Yup just keep this in mind when we think soccer has finally made it in terms of the mainstream media . TFC which has now been around over 12 years still at times faces an uphill battle for coverage in the mainstream media . Therefore, when it comes to CPL I don’t see much coverage happening in Toronto’s mainstream media expecially when even TFC is sometimes ignored. However, saying all that the Toronto Sun has more or less always given TFC decent coverage and this year it seems they have even stepped it up, they have longtime writer and not really a soccer guy Steve Buffery almost doing a column or more a day and I must admit his articles are actually pretty good. I actually sent him an email telling him his coverage of TFC was greatly appreciated , and he got back to me to thank me for the email. Anyways, with so many other ways to take in coverage in today’s world thankfully soccer in general and the CPL too doesn’t solely have to rely on mainstream media like in days gone by.

Edited by 1996

6 hours ago, toontownman said:

Announce Forlan and Meneses...   see how quick Rob Gayle picks up the phone!

God, I hope it's Forlan. I don't care if he's not at the races anymore (Hong Kong was proof). I would love to see Diego play for us.

4 minutes ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Ten bucks says it's nothing player related.

NEW SPONSORSHIP DEAL!

I hope it's jerseys no?

I think this is it personally. The Ontario teams will surely be the first to unveil their kits given the inaugural match. 

9 hours ago, Blackdude said:

Junior Kingue would be funny if it's intended to be done tomorrow. 

Has to be him, world class talent. Young Junior Kingue has been compared to some of the best young talent in the world. #JuniorKingue shows poise and confidence beyond his years, and isn’t afraid to run at defenders. He (#JuniorKingue) will be one of the best young players in the CPL.

#JuniorKingue #CanPL #KingueWatch