York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Not so good part is:

TORONTO, March 1, 2019 – York University will embark on a major transformation of the York Lions Stadium (formerly the 2015 Pan American Stadium) into a multi-use facility with artificial turf and an inflatable seasonal dome to support year-round activities and events.

because the issue of how to do deal with permanent Canadian football lines will probably rear its head again.

maybe multi-use as in shared with Rugby (Arrows) .. not sure how true but I heard Rugby lines are easier to deal with? 

Maybe Alumni Field will be the permanent home of the Canadian Footbal team

That's not what has been in earlier press releases from York U. Both the Canadian football and soccer teams will move to York Lions after the renovation and there will be a winter dome for intramurals. It isn't mainly about York 9.

https://yorkulions.ca/news/2018/5/29/varsity-athletics-lions-stadium-to-be-converted-to-turf-field-with-dome.aspx

...The new turf field will become the official home of the Lions varsity football and soccer teams, and the dome will create an additional 825 hours of indoor programming space during the winter. Use of the facility will include a diverse mix of varsity and campus recreation programs, intramurals, special university events, community activities and rentals to third parties...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

10 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

It's the two jump pits inside the track they need to deal with more than anything else. At that point the width is reasonably OK. Don't think there's any way they can remove the track if there is a Pan Am games legacy.

I guess if they can somehow find ways to get seats on the track without damaging it. I get that it's not everyone's priority - but I would really prefer an intimate setting. That's why in some ways, I actually preferred Alumni Field.

3 hours ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

maybe multi-use as in shared with Rugby (Arrows) .. not sure how true but I heard Rugby lines are easier to deal with? 

Maybe Alumni Field will be the permanent home of the Canadian Footbal team

I don't get what York is doing. Have one field for soccer and one for football and rugby. Lions stadium should be grass and put a dome over allumni stadium with turf just like they do at varsity. It's not like they need extra seats for people to watch York Lions football. 

They still have two months until the first home game, but you have to wonder whether the next revelation in this whole saga of musical stadiums is going to be that they ran into issues with the east stand so everybody who has purchased a seat will now be in the west one that is already there. Then all they have to do is put in a beer garden behind one goal, some safe standing behind the other and the very expensive seats beside the field of play et voila...

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

I finally tried to pull the trigger on some York 9 merch from the store (didn't love any of the stuff there, but it looks like I'll be going to the inaugural game and wanted something to wear). Picked a $25 hat. Registered for an account, went to checkout, and then they tell me it's $15 shipping! Not worth it, I guess I'll buy merch at the game.

Unless, does anybody know of any shops that has any York 9 merch available? I might end up paying the $15 shipping, but I could only see that happening if I can get the hat and a jersey at the same time for a combined $15 shipping.

1 minute ago, Kent said:

I finally tried to pull the trigger on some York 9 merch from the store (didn't love any of the stuff there, but it looks like I'll be going to the inaugural game and wanted something to wear). Picked a $25 hat. Registered for an account, went to checkout, and then they tell me it's $15 shipping! Not worth it, I guess I'll buy merch at the game.

Unless, does anybody know of any shops that has any York 9 merch available? I might end up paying the $15 shipping, but I could only see that happening if I can get the hat and a jersey at the same time for a combined $15 shipping.

I haven’t seen any stores with their stuff. It’s made by Entripy and shipped direct I think. Try asking the club reps, they’re pretty responsive. 

1 hour ago, Ams1984 said:

I haven’t seen any stores with their stuff. It’s made by Entripy and shipped direct I think. Try asking the club reps, they’re pretty responsive. 

I'm not a season ticket holder, so I don't have a club rep. I'll just wait for the jersey and/or wait till I find the stuff in a stadium. It just dawned on me that they likely won't have merch at the game in Hamilton. So I potentially won't have anything for the inaugural game. I'll probably crack and just buy something though.

3 minutes ago, Kent said:

I'm not a season ticket holder, so I don't have a club rep. I'll just wait for the jersey and/or wait till I find the stuff in a stadium. It just dawned on me that they likely won't have merch at the game in Hamilton. So I potentially won't have anything for the inaugural game. I'll probably crack and just buy something though.

Just email Ben Z, his info is on the York 9 website. Either he or Stewart should be able to give you an answer... or just call the club! I called today and got through pretty easily. You don’t need to be a SSH to call. 

13 hours ago, Ams1984 said:

I just drove there to pick up a scarf and toque (I had purchased a hoodie at the launch event).  Office is at 407 and Dufferin.

14 hours ago, Kent said:

Ya shipping is ridiculous, but I have to say, it's a decent baseball cap.

Details of the York 9 FC Pub night held last night in Brampton.  
I've got audio files of the presentation, and my interviews with players Matt Silva, Ryan Telfer, and Cyrus Rollocks.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports19/19york078.htm

Also details of upcoming training in Dominican Republic, York Lions Stadium plans, new details of the York 9 fans trip to Hamilton. 

It was interesting to me that the CPL listed Michael Cox as one of the top 5 strikers in the league.  Adjei didn't make the list but I think most had him as #1 on the depth chart.  I don't know much about Cox other than what you can find on Wikipedia, do those more familiar with him see him as a clearly elite level striker in the CPL?