York 9 2019 launch/offseason thread

2 hours ago, Vince193 said:

I'm a bit wary of the roster. Other teams seem to have a # of really good players, and we seem to be middling in some places. Petrasso is a Woodbridge boy but is joining Valour. Did York even try to get him?

Apparently Michael burned some bridges in Ontario. Not sure if any were burned with Y9 staff, but word certainly spreads quick in the GTA. I also find it a bit weird Y9 passed on a local player with that sort of resume.

Gale did say he was going to scout Ontario heavily, and Valour don't have any full national players yet, so there's a chance Y9 were outbid for his services

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Apparently Michael burned some bridges in Ontario. Not sure if any were burned with Y9 staff, but word certainly spreads quick in the GTA. I also find it a bit weird Y9 passed on a local player with that sort of resume.

Gale did say he was going to scout Ontario heavily, and Valour don't have any full national players yet, so there's a chance Y9 were outbid for his services

Petrasso ditched TFC while Brennan was the coach of TFC Academy / Reserves / First team assistant.  So maybe theres some hard feelings there.

5 minutes ago, BrennanFan said:

Petrasso ditched TFC while Brennan was the coach of TFC Academy / Reserves / First team assistant.  So maybe theres some hard feelings there.

Sounds about right. Valuable life lesson for Michael, as i'm sure he would want to be in Ontario playing in front of friends and family.

36 minutes ago, Big_M said:

You ditched me for qpr so im still going with morey doner who never played close to your level..get real

Would normally work that way but a lot depends on what was said between the two of them at the time. Sometimes two people simply can't work together again if there is a major blow up between them along the lines of Vanney and van der Wiel.

I really want to know what a 17yo Michael Petrasso could say to Jim Brennan for him to hold any malice towards him. I think thats made up. 

He left the TFCA because he didn't want to sign some academy contract. Him and Aleman, and their parents/agent voiced there valid concerns. 

Maybe its just as simple as saying he worked with Gale before, relationship was better. 

23 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

Makes sense. There is no way they could design and build a permanent stadium in less than three years. And even if they could, it would probably be smarter to get some sense of the demand for tickets so they know the size of the stadium they want to build. As well, is there a focus on expensive tickets like boxes and field side seats, or a focus on cheap seats at a high volume? What location would work for them, because they don’t have land yet? Stuff they need to figure out before they commit on something. I would imagine it would be more like 5 years to be honest.

CPL isn't MLS and York Region isn't New York City, but I'm reminded of NYCFC. They have started their 5th season and are still in Yankee Stadium and still don't have a site to build a stadium yet. The last time there was any news about it (according to wikipedia, so not gospel) seems to be almost a year ago.

That being said, I'm not expecting this to drag on like that. I imagine there are 2 ways this goes down. Either the stadium gets built in about 5 years, plus or minus a couple years, or York 9 flops enough that they pull the plug on the stadium plans before they put a shovel in the ground. I really hope it's the first option, not the 2nd. Especially since a new stadium actually in York Region could be the kind of thing to jump start a team that isn't doing well at the gate.

6 hours ago, zeelaw1555362314 said:

Wasn't it two seasons initially?

My scientific process, which consisted of going through the first 5 pages of this thread and reading comments with the word "stadium" in it didn't mention any timeline for how long they would be at York University. That covered a span of May 10th (the day they were officially announced) to June 9th. The only mention of number of years was from a speculative post from Ansem saying 2-3 years, but he wasn't referencing anything, just speculating about their strategy.

I don't know if any news came out later on about when they expect the new stadium, but I thought we heard most of the info about it early on.

8 hours ago, KW519 said:

Sounds about right. Valuable life lesson for Michael, as i'm sure he would want to be in Ontario playing in front of friends and family.

Maybe Petrasso knows the real Brennan and politely told York9 thanks but no thanks?

York9 will be playing this entire season at York Lions stadium.  Email was just sent out, announcement will be live on their website at 1pm.

"Additionally, the north supporters end will now feature a multi-tiered, safe standing area to create a true football atmosphere for the club’s loudest supporters. This decision has been made after consultation with supporter groups and researching other top-flight stadiums around the world."

Edited by Gopherbashi

Just now, m-g-williams said:

Didn't they have plans to split the season between York Lions and another York U stadium? And for those of us who don't know the campus/stadia, is this a good outcome?

Yes, the other stadium was just a backup because they didn't think they'd be able to get York Lions Stadium ready in time for the start of the season, but apparently they're ahead of schedule.

3 minutes ago, Zem said:

Yes, the other stadium was just a backup because they didn't think they'd be able to get York Lions Stadium ready in time for the start of the season, but apparently they're ahead of schedule.

I am not sure if they are ahead of schedule though. When I drove past last week neither stadium had any work done. 

My worry is that they will do a 180 on removing the tracks and replacing the grass. The map thry attached looks like they kept the track 

The grass inside the track is wide enough for a regulation soccer field by the looks of things, it's just not big enough to get free flowing pro level soccer. Better than having Canadian football lines all over the place, but the fear would be you get something like this instead:

{from what I remember the colour commentator on this clip is the Wanderers coach 28 years on}

6 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

I am not sure if they are ahead of schedule though. When I drove past last week neither stadium had any work done. 

My worry is that they will do a 180 on removing the tracks and replacing the grass. The map thry attached looks like they kept the track 

What map did they attach? Where did you see a map they attached?

5 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

https://yorkulions.ca/news/2019/3/12/business-development-york-lions-stadium-track-field-course-getting-an-upgrade.aspx
York U are building a new track and field facility elsewhere on campus. I am hoping that indicates willingness to tear them out at York Lions.

Not so good part is:

TORONTO, March 1, 2019 – York University will embark on a major transformation of the York Lions Stadium (formerly the 2015 Pan American Stadium) into a multi-use facility with artificial turf and an inflatable seasonal dome to support year-round activities and events.

because the issue of how to do deal with permanent Canadian football lines will probably rear its head again.