What would you like the see as the name of the original 8 clubs?

23 hours ago, johnyb said:

Winnipeg could go along with the Air force theme that they currently have. The Jets and Bombers (was never intended to be Air Force related but most assume it is). Thinking Squadron, Snowbirds, Mosquitos (WW2 Plane and the insect Winnipeg is best known for), Hornets (see previous), Golden Hawks. The possibilities are endless.

Riel Winnipeg? 

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, ted said:

OK, let's learn a little about world football shall we: The "FC" or "AFC" is part of EVERY name. It like naming a "Coporation" or "Hospital". ie. it is Arsenal AFC which stands for Arsenal Association Football Club

I am saying they shouldn't add "United" when they already have "City". You are one or the other, like Manchester City Football Club versus Manchester United Football Club. 

It’s just arsenal fc. A.F.C. is their full abbreviation including arsenal. 

On 5/11/2018 at 10:37 PM, SkuseisLoose said:

It’s just arsenal fc. A.F.C. is their full abbreviation including arsenal. 

Whoops, you are correct. Unlike such clubs as AFC Wimbledon or AFC Ajax, Arsenal usually leaves out "Association".

Just looked back at the trademarks, and it really says:

The six new trademarks are: Calgary FC, HWFC, York 9 FC, Cavalry FC, Port City FC, and Founders FC

So it appears Port City Fc is the actual name of the BC (Victoria?) team, not just a placeholder.

Of these, I like the Wanderers, York 9 also a a ring to it. Port City and Cavalry are meh and absolutely horrible is Founders FC. Founders of what? What's wrong with the Steelers?

Probably not popular but I'm not down with Valour FC. I know neither Jets nor Bombers were originally intended as military tributes but that is certainly now a part of the branding of both teams. I don't think we need that military theme across all of our sports.

Riel Winnipeg is fun; Winnipeg Football Club would be fine, if confusing, since that is the name of the ownership entity; Winnipeg Fury would be awesome but off the table for obvious reasons. Some invocation of the 1919 General Strike (with the team forming for the centenary) would be cool but by now a bit of an obscure reference and unwieldy for getting into a team name.

I'm more interested to see what the colours are. Hoping for something without any blue (again, we have enough of that here).

2 hours ago, jonovision said:

Some invocation of the 1919 General Strike (with the team forming for the centenary) would be cool

Well, in the old NASL days there was the Ft Lauderdale Strikers, so maybe there could be a Winnipeg Strikers. Perhaps too controversial when the Cavalry would visit (attack) the Strikers.

What do you all generally think about having the city name within the club name? There was a similar thread on the V's FB group, and I'm just pasting my comment into here as well, curious to hear your thoughts.

I’m cool with names like Cavalry and Valour, because we all want to see different names. I’d like to see the city names in there though too, because the great part about football is how global it is, and how many football clubs rep their cities or neighbourhoods/districts to the rest of the world.

Those who'd point to European clubs who don’t have a city or district name attached has to see that these clubs have had a century worth of start on the CPL clubs. It’s not an apt comparison to make, when we are talking about brand new clubs formed in 2018.

So yeah, I’d have liked to see a Calgary Cavalry FC and a Winnipeg Valour FC and so on. Did have a convo on twitter with Pete Schaad and others about that, and they wanted to avoid generic names such as Calgary FC and Winnipeg United and such, and also leave open the possibility of multiple teams in Calgary and Winnipeg and etc, and that's great. But Cavalry FC and Valour FC is too tilted into the other direction for me, as very few football fans outside Canada are going to know without looking it up that Cavalry FC reps Calgary, and that Valour FC reps Winnipeg. So yeah, I hope they eventually bring the city name into the club names.

To put it quickly, between the two and only these two, would you prefer

A) Valour FC, or

B.) Winnipeg Valour FC?

I like both names, but I would argue the latter is better for a number of different reasons, mainly for marketing and representing the city, which is what I was laying out in my comment above.

I honestly don't care about what the names are or how they're presented (all just my opinion).  Just another thing that's over analyzed to death while we wait for the next piece of CPL news to over analyze lol.  It's fine to like or dislike them but some of the "hot takes" are just ridiculous.  Old man done complaining, now going back to finding news to post 

8 minutes ago, Rheo said:

I honestly don't care about what the names are or how they're presented (all just my opinion).  Just another thing that's over analyzed to death while we wait for the next piece of CPL news to over analyze lol.  It's fine to like or dislike them but some of the "hot takes" are just ridiculous.  Old man done complaining, now going back to finding news to post 

Not sure if you are referring to me, but for my comments above personally, I highly disagree if anybody thinks I've over-analyzed them to death. I just wrote out my reasons and explanations so that people could read them and feel free to agree, disagree or ignore lol. I mean, I thought this was the CPL club names thread lol.

As for the names, it's the very first thing that we CPL fans tell other soccer fans when we try to get them interested in the new CPL clubs. For me for example, I've been slowly spreading the message in Toronto and in the York Region, and friends outside this area too, through a number of different ways, just talking about soccer, or through texts or through social media.

The club names definitely do make a first impression, and then the next question usually will be about the stadiums, and then potential players. But yeah, the club names definitely do make a first impression, so it's worth thinking about.

@ironcub14Not personally directed at you, that's why I didn't quote you.  Just a general statement on my perceived over analyzing of CPL bits (myself included)  More directed at those who make the "hot takes" that a name, logo, crest, motto or whatever will kill a team or they can't support a team based on one of those items (which I have seen numerous times)  All stuff I've said before at various times.

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Those who'd point to European clubs who don’t have a city or district name attached has to see that these clubs have had a century worth of start on the CPL clubs. It’s not an apt comparison to make, when we are talking about brand new clubs formed in 2018.

I know a many NA soccer fans think there's a lot of clubs like that in Europe, but that is very rarely the case. Almost every club name refers to a place or specific institution one way or another.

In the case of the CPL, given that they are brand new clubs they really should be emphasizing the actual name of the place they want to represent. If Valour FC or Port City FC are seriously names of clubs in this league I'm going to be pretty sad.

4 hours ago, Rheo said:

I debated multiple times about posting something to this effect.

Not hot for the name?

Iffy about the logo?

Unsure about the team colours?

Lol.  Who gives a fuck.  A domestic pro soccer league is being launched in Canada and you whiny bastards are lucky enough to have a local team.  Since cars don't run on sand, no rich benefactor is bankrolling the Charlottetown Anneofgreengablespotatolobsters anytime soon, so pipe down and party on cuz you got a team!

5 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

To put it quickly, between the two and only these two, would you prefer

A) Valour FC, or

B.) Winnipeg Valour FC?

I like both names, but I would argue the latter is better for a number of different reasons, mainly for marketing and representing the city, which is what I was laying out in my comment above.

Winnipeg Valour FC.

The city's names should be used IMHO with the CPL clubs.

Personally I prefer having city names in the club name. You can still have multiple teams from the same city. It feels like incomplete information.

Aside from London teams, how many teams without city names are in the big 4 leagues in Europe? Half a dozen? 1 dozen? My guess without looking would be that it’s no more than that.

Archived