What would you like the see as the name of the original 8 clubs?

To answer my own question, here's what I found. I used the teams that were in the just completed season in the top flight. People that are more familiar with these leagues might be able to correct me on some info, but basically anything that had to do with the location specifically (City, province, or region names) would keep them off this list. Some kinda, sorta matches are in for completeness sake.

London teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Tottenham, West Ham

England - Everton

Spain - Alaves (Alava is a province, so probably this one shouldn't be counted), Espanyol (but official full name includes "Barcelona"), Levante, Real Betis, Real Sociedad

Germany - none

Italy - Atalanta (but official full name includes "Bergamo"), Juventus, Sampdoria, SPAL

So if I am right to not include the ones with explanations in brackets, that leaves 6 teams outside of London, plus the 5 teams in London. That's out of a total of 80 teams (or 75 not counting the London teams). So that's 8% outside of London. Not exactly unheard of, but also far from the norm.

To bring this back on topic, as I said before, I would prefer city/region names to be in the club names, but it's not something I feel passionately about or anything... despite what all the curiosity research I just did might suggest.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, Kent said:

To answer my own question, here's what I found. I used the teams that were in the just completed season in the top flight. People that are more familiar with these leagues might be able to correct me on some info, but basically anything that had to do with the location specifically (City, province, or region names) would keep them off this list. Some kinda, sorta matches are in for completeness sake.

London teams - Arsenal, Chelsea, Crystal Palace, Tottenham, West Ham

England - Everton

Spain - Alaves (Alava is a province, so probably this one shouldn't be counted), Espanyol (but official full name includes "Barcelona"), Levante, Real Betis, Real Sociedad

Germany - none

Italy - Atalanta (but official full name includes "Bergamo"), Juventus, Sampdoria, SPAL

So if I am right to not include the ones with explanations in brackets, that leaves 6 teams outside of London, plus the 5 teams in London. That's out of a total of 80 teams (or 75 not counting the London teams). So that's 8% outside of London. Not exactly unheard of, but also far from the norm.

To bring this back on topic, as I said before, I would prefer city/region names to be in the club names, but it's not something I feel passionately about or anything... despite what all the curiosity research I just did might suggest.

Not sure about some of the others, but Everton is a district of Liverpool, and Chelsea and Tottenham refer to specific parts of London, so they are local names too - just at a different level.  Lots of people view York as part of Toronto (as in GTA) so it may be pretty similar.

A lot of clubs in the Netherlands didn't have the city's name in them, until the municipalities supported them in some form. Then it became a condition. For example, Nac became Nac Breda, Roda JC became Roda JC Kerkrade and the worse example of all: VVV became VVV Venlo. Note that VVV stands for Venlose Voetbal Vereniging (soccer club Venlo), so now its Venlose Voetbalvereniging Venlo?

15 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I debated multiple times about posting something to this effect.

Not hot for the name?

Iffy about the logo?

Unsure about the team colours?

Lol.  Who gives a fuck.  A domestic pro soccer league is being launched in Canada and you whiny bastards are lucky enough to have a local team.  Since cars don't run on sand, no rich benefactor is bankrolling the Charlottetown Anneofgreengablespotatolobsters anytime soon, so pipe down and party on cuz you got a team!

Lol I care cuz I'm trying to convince my friends and family who don't give a flying fuck about CPL to actually give a fuck. The club name is the first thing that I have to tell them after I give a spiel about the importance of the league. For fans who don't care about the purpose of the CPL, and there's sadly way more than there should be, the club name does make a difference. And whether to include the city in the club name or not, yeah that's being asked in a number of quarters, there's already been lots of talk about it on FB and Twitter among CPL supporters.

Honestly, if you don't care about the topic, just ignore the comment or the thread and just move on. I'm just trying to help the conversation because I think it's something interesting and worth talking about; if you don't think it's important, that's fine. Take care.

As I have said before, a name is just a name.  Yeah it's something fairly important but for every armchair critic who loves or hates a name (allow me add crest/logo/motto), I've seen just as many people feel the opposite.  The Raptors were laughed at by many as a name at launch and now no one remembers that.  What people see and care about now is what the team has done and built up over the 20 or so years. 

Sure it's one thing to love or hate logos, make fun of black on black, debate whether Calgary should be in the name or whatever the debate of the moment is now, but in the long run it's what each team does on the field and the community that they build that will decide the the success of the league and their clubs.

6 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

Lol I care cuz I'm trying to convince my friends and family who don't give a flying fuck about CPL to actually give a fuck. The club name is the first thing that I have to tell them after I give a spiel about the importance of the league. For fans who don't care about the purpose of the CPL, and there's sadly way more than there should be, the club name does make a difference. And whether to include the city in the club name or not, yeah that's being asked in a number of quarters, there's already been lots of talk about it on FB and Twitter among CPL supporters.

Honestly, if you don't care about the topic, just ignore the comment or the thread and just move on. I'm just trying to help the conversation because I think it's something interesting and worth talking about; if you don't think it's important, that's fine. Take care.

FWIW, I was mostly just bullshitting on the forum.  Some of the comments border on nitpicking given what is underway, but I know people are just shooting the shit when it comes to this stuff.  Plus I am marginally bitter about that I really won't get to be a major part of it all here in lil ol PEI.  

For the record, I don't mind any of the names so far.  Even Founders FC and Winnipeg Valour work for me.  Then again maybe I am just overwhelmed by envy...

Archived