What would you like the see as the name of the original 8 clubs?

21 hours ago, Xavier said:

What is “united” about Terminal City? Thanks for coming up with something original, just curious about the United part.

I understand football purist's use of the word united doesn't fit here but for me, the club will really have to sell the suburban side as one that unites the whole lower mainland, disgruntled Caps from the urban core included. The "port" theme is pure rubbish as far as I'm concerned.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

The problem with Foothills is 

a) The Foothills is a specific neighbourhood in Calgary. Specifically one in the north of the city, opposite to the stadium

b ) the Foothills themselves have local rivalries with the other soccer clubs of Calgary. It's better to open with a blank slate than ask members of clubs who have been cheering against the Foothills for years to flip at the pro level. It's a small thing but we've seen how good relationships with these clubs matter

a) as I saw mentioned, they play in Okotoks now which is south of the city

b ) Fair enough. A new moniker might be better in this case. 

Still hope they stay away from the Cavalry, I'd prefer Fc Calgary (or Calgary FC)

29 minutes ago, shamrock said:

a) as I saw mentioned, they play in Okotoks now which is south of the city

b ) Fair enough. A new moniker might be better in this case. 

Still hope they stay away from the Cavalry, I'd prefer Fc Calgary (or Calgary FC)

Both Cavalry FC and Calgary FC were trademarked.

1 hour ago, ted said:

Why wouldn't it just be "Terminal City"?

It's good enough for Manchester, Leicester, New York, Bristol, Stoke, etc. ;)

It's not good enough for New York. They are New York City FC.

Looked up city nicknames on Wikipedia for cities that have been speculated on. Could probably grab some ideas from here:

Calgary
"C-Town"
"Cowtown"
"Heart of The New West"
"Mohkínstsis"
"The Stampede City"
"Sandstone City"

Surrey
"City of Parks"

Victoria
"The Garden City"
"City of Newly Weds and Nearly Deads"

Winnipeg
"Chicago of the North"
"Gateway to the West"
"Negativipeg"
"The Peg"
"Slurpee Capital of the World"
"Winnerpeg"
"The Wholesale City"

Saint John
"Canada's Most Irish City"
"Canada's Original City"
"Loyalist City"
"Port City"

Halifax
"City of Trees"
"Haligonia"

Hamilton
"Ambitious City"
"The Hammer"
"Steeltown"

Regina
"The Queen City"
"Pile o' Bones"
"The City That Rhymes With Fun"

Saskatoon
"The Bridge City"
"Hub City"
"Paris of the Prairies"
"POW City", for its resources in potash, oil and wheat
"Saskabush"
"Stoon"
"Toontown"

Winnipeg could go along with the Air force theme that they currently have. The Jets and Bombers (was never intended to be Air Force related but most assume it is). Thinking Squadron, Snowbirds, Mosquitos (WW2 Plane and the insect Winnipeg is best known for), Hornets (see previous), Golden Hawks. The possibilities are endless.

1 hour ago, johnyb said:

Winnipeg could go along with the Air force theme that they currently have. The Jets and Bombers (was never intended to be Air Force related but most assume it is). Thinking Squadron, Snowbirds, Mosquitos (WW2 Plane and the insect Winnipeg is best known for), Hornets (see previous), Golden Hawks. The possibilities are endless.

They could be the Air Men, and Port City could be the Sea Men.

On 9-5-2018 at 7:20 AM, Xavier said:

Ownership for the BC team is different than the new ownership group the Highlanders have.

What would you name a Victoria team?

While Foothills have connections to the CPL team, I believe the ownership group will move towards a new name, as we have seen by the trademarked names such as Calgary FC and Cavalry FC.

Its a pity that a club as the Foothills wouldn't be joining. They already have a long history, have great fans and a good supporters group. Also the name is an original one, not another *city name*FC .

6 hours ago, Kefa83 said:

Its a pity that a club as the Foothills wouldn't be joining. They already have a long history, have great fans and a good supporters group. Also the name is an original one, not another *city name*FC .

The Foothills club is behind the Calgary CPL team though...

They just are most likely not using the Foothills brand. Which is actually fine because that crest is brutal. I expect the kits to be similar to the Foothills ones though.

Let’s wait until we get more information before we get all gloomy.

7 minutes ago, Blackdude said:

If it was up to me, the  Calgary club would have been named FC Tyro. 

I don't have a problem with not naming the club Foothills, because it's like oh it's just for people in Foothills, not for people in Calgary. 

Foothills is literally the area just west of the Rocky Mountains which Calgary is a part of and a Hospital in North Calgary. It's not an actual community association in Calgary aside from a small area of the Triwood association named "Foothills Estates".

Based on how extremely far south it is, they could incorporate it into the name like South Calgary Showjumpers or SoCal for short. This would obviously pave the way for NorCal Airporters.

22 hours ago, Kent said:

It's not good enough for New York. They are New York City FC.

OK, let's learn a little about world football shall we: The "FC" or "AFC" is part of EVERY name. It like naming a "Coporation" or "Hospital". ie. it is Arsenal AFC which stands for Arsenal Association Football Club. 

I am saying they shouldn't add "United" when they already have "City". You are one or the other, like Manchester City Football Club versus Manchester United Football Club. 

22 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

Looked up city nicknames on Wikipedia for cities that have been speculated on. Could probably grab some ideas from here:

[snip]

Victoria
"The Garden City"
"City of Newly Weds and Nearly Deads"

Thank you no. We already have a long history of names that would be better:

Highlanders 
United (dates from 1904, used for decades)
Vistas (original CSL)

How about we let people from the communities in question make suggestions rather than riffing off random internet searches. :)

53 minutes ago, ted said:

Thank you no. We already have a long history of names that would be better:

Highlanders 
United (dates from 1904, used for decades)
Vistas (original CSL)

How about we let people from the communities in question make suggestions rather than riffing off random internet searches. :)

Would you have been okay with it if I had said up front that Highlanders was my first choice?

This whole thread is basically speculation and I was just stoking the fire. I guess you wouldn't like my suggestion that I think that Winnipeg should be called "Chicago Fire of the North" 

Archived